Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2017 07:00

P69g Laptop - Hard Drive Not Installed

Put the computer in sleep mode last night, heard it restart sometime in the night and woke up this morning to a "hard drive not installed error" The hard drive is a 250g ssd. I have taken it out and reseated it no avail. I'm assuming something updated or was loaded last night that is causing the problem. Any assistance is appreciated.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2017 08:00

The computer works just fine. It's the drive. I swapped it into another laptop and the problem goes with the drive. Additionally, I put a new ssd in the p69g inspirion and it works fine so it's the drive for sure. I've run the diagnostics and in the end the drive just isn't seen by any computer. I have the data backed up but it would have been so much easier if I could have accessed that drive. Didn't expect to have an ssd problem with less than a year on the ssd. The drive is a Sandisk M2 256gb SSD. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the time.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell Inspiron 7368, windows 10

If you don't know, find your service tag number and enter it onto the Dell Product Support page. Please click link below for additional information:

How to find Dell Service Tag (Official Dell Tech Support)

In the meantime, I'd suggest you run diagnostic tool to check hard drive on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Also,....

Check and see if the hard drive (250g ssd) is detected in the BIOS. Please power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously until the BIOS setup appears.

3 Posts

I've got a usb to ssd cable so I can continue to muck with access to this drive from a workable desktop pc.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 13th, 2017 09:00

Lastly,

If the Sandisk drive still isn't detected in BIOS, I'd suggest searching for the latest Solid State Drive firmware on the SanDisk - Official Site. In the link, click Support, and then Solid State Drives. At the bottom of the page, you'll see General Solid State Drive FAQs:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

First - Type device manager onto search box, stroll down to Display Adapters and expand it. If the Sandisk drive is seen, right click drive and then update.

If this doesn't resolve the problem,

Second - Run Guide Me option in your Dell Product Support page. The tool will detect drivers updates for your system. Please follow instructions to run Guide Me option in link below:

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please read all three possible solutions in the 'How do I detect my SSD through BIOS' - FAQs).  

No Events found!