speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: PC not recognizing AC adapter although it is working well.

If a new adapter does not fix this then the motherboard may need to be replaced.

Non Dell Adapters will say Unknown and may run the unit but will not charge the battery.

I would not recommend an adapter for the N7110 less than 130W.

Dell P/N: PA-13 PA-4E FAMILY 130 watt 19.5V 6.7A

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
MicroTest
3 Zinc

...and additionally to SpeedSteps advice you may want to test the power jack first before replacing the mainboard.

Inspiron N7110 DC power jack:

0 Kudos
dslomer64
1 Nickel

I've had an Inspiron N7110 since 11/11/11 and within a week, I had the message about wrong adapter. Dell wanted to replace mobo. No way.

I finally decided to restore to a prior restore point; problem vanished. Luck? Doubt it. Windows autoupdate was going on at 3am or whatever and I assumed that power went to 0% or close enough to abort update. Just a hunch; anyway, problem solved.

Today, same problem. This time I decided to try Safe Mode--you know, start Windows with MINIMAL driver support. After waiting to see if battery was charging, 14% was reported. (I assume THAT driver, if applicable, was loaded and that this wasn't just nonsense.) I then shut down. No further problem.

In BOTH cases, the battery was at or nearly at 0% (3% today).

So DON'T just run out and start replacing things until you try to see if just maybe whatever Dell added to Windows to "check" the battery condition is at fault.

I wouldn't even replace BIOS.

And for heaven's sake DON'T select "ignore battery warnings" in BIOS or allow the Dell message to convince you to agree to quit seeing these messages. You WANT to see that there is or isn't a problem.

Disclaimer: the above is just what MY experience has told me. Anyway, same hardware, problem occurs every year or so. Just keep battery above 10% and you (and I) will probably never have the problem again.

NOTHING'S WRONG with MY hardware--internal or external. Probably not yours, either.

Battery's now at 74% and charging.

MicroTest
3 Zinc

@dslomer64

BIOS error messages  - like "unknown adapter" - are usually hardware and not Windows/software related.If this message turns up intermittently you have to deal with a "hidden" hardware problem and in your case most likely a loose connection,which in the worst case could mean to have the mainboard replaced unless you know how to handle a soldering iron.

0 Kudos
Utkarsh241996
1 Copper

Respected Sir,

My 90watt adapter is working properly.It's light is glowing all time.But my battery is not responding properly.I don't know what to do.I'm confused.Plz tell me a solution for this.I'm tired of this thing.Plz help.

0 Kudos
nina08
1 Copper

Hi Roshan.  I've updated my BIOS to A10 for Inspiron 1420 and at F2 System, Device Info/AC Adapter still shows "Unknown Device Installed".  I notice there are other BIOS updates, e.g., A07, A08, etc.  Do I have to install all previous updates before installing A10?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

No - only the latest one needs to be applied.  That said, this is a hardware problem - not a BIOS issue.

0 Kudos
cambrico
1 Copper

RE: PC not recognizing AC adapter although it is working well.

I did this and the Adapter was "unknown"

0 Kudos
Dayofrejoicing
1 Copper

I have had this problem with my last two Dell laptops and I tried everything, but no luck.  I recently found a simple solution that worked with my Inspiron 1440.  The adapter has a driver that is called "Microsoft AC Adapter" which can be found in the Device Manager under the Control Panel.  The driver may be corrupted, so try uninstalling the driver, then restart the computer.  Next, re-install the driver by clicking on  "Windows Update" on the Start menu.  The computer will realize that you are missing the driver and download the most recent version.  So far, this seems to have fixed the problem and it cost me nothing.  With all respect to Dell, they are in things to make money and will not usually suggest the cost-free solution.  I once paid over $200.00 for the Dell tech people to tell me that I needed to hit the f2 key to reboot the wireless connection.  Good luck and I hope this is helpful!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dslomer64
1 Nickel

I have had this problem with my last two Dell laptops... "Microsoft AC Adapter" ... in the Device Manager ... may be corrupted, so ... re-install the driver...  

First, I hope you really found a solution. I have several "solutions" that occasionally (maybe once) have worked. Restarting in safe mode being one and disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter in rear of laptop are two.

But you've had the SAME problem with two different laptops? Same model? What timeframe? I'm disillusioned about my own very intermittent "invisible adapter" problem. Happened within 2 weeks of purchase. Dell wanted to replace mobo with refurbished one. NO THANKS. Wouldn't send new laptop. 

We aren't the only two with the problem. Not everyone is vocal about their pc problems. I wonder how far-reaching the problem is. It is obviously not a rare thing. Just Google. As far back as 2006. There are as many "solutions" as complaints, times about 10, since everybody has their own "solution" to add to any given thread.

The solution is probably to quit buying Dell.

Was a time they had quality hardware, software, and tech support.

That time hasn't existed for quite awhile.

Very disappointing.

One suggestion, though, Dell: quit selling proprietary hardware--adapters, batteries, ink, etc. The adapter interface is a joke. No wonder it's such a source of problems. It is far from a solid method of connection.

I don't know who DOESN'T put out <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed per TOU>; these days, it's rare for companies to care about anything but bottom line, and cutting every conceivable corner is one way to bolster bottom line.

Until the serfs revolt and quit buying your <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed per TOU>.

Vive la resistance.

I'm t'r'u' wit' Dell.

0 Kudos