Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 9th, 2016 10:00

POSSIBLY FIXED: Inspiron 13 7000 - No Sound After Reboot

Hello

I have a strange issue with my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (7353). A quick overview of the issue, the system will not play audio from internal speakers or headphones via 3.5mm jack after a restart/reboot from Windows. The issue is affected in both Windows 8.1 & 10. 

- The issue occurs with both Generic Windows HD Audio Drivers & Official Dell Conexant CX20722 Audio Drivers

- When the notebook is powered on from off state, audio works just fine with both Generic Windows HD Audio Drivers & Official Dell Conexant CX20722 Audio Drivers

- Tested in both clean installations of Windows 8.1 & 10.

- BIOS Version: 01.07.00 - A06

I am starting to wonder if this is somehow related to the BIOS re-initialization (or no initialization) of the audio on a reboot from Windows. Is there anyway to confirm/report this issue to Dell? Any suggestions?

UPDATE: This is definitely a BIOS related issue. After downgrading the BIOS to version 1.2.0 - A01, sound worked again just fine even with reboots. If I were to take a guess, this may have started to happen starting with BIOS 01.05.00 - A04 where "Enable fast boot" was added as an enhancement. 

UPDATE 2: I think I have gotten to the bottom of this. I tried to flash the BIOS one by one from 1.2.0 - A1 to 01.05.00 to 01.06.00 to 01.07.00 incrementally and checked sound along the way and everything went smoothly. Now I have sound with the latest BIOS without issues. This now leads me to believe that perhaps one of the BIOS's needs to be flashed before the rest or something along those lines. I should mention that my laptop was on the very first initial release BIOS that I jumped right to the latest 01.07.00 initially. 

UPDATE 3: In attempts to update to the newest BIOS 01.08.00 - A07, again sound has been affected. This time the audio device in device manager completely disappeared. Scanning for new hardware/hardware changes did nothing to re-detect it. This was tested in a Windows 8.1 environment. A downgrade to 01.06.00 - A05 BIOS brought the audio device back and all was normal again. There is definitely something strange going on that is hard to put my finger on why this is happening. I hope Dell representatives see this thread to take a look into it as I can't be the only one with this series experiencing such issue. 

UPDATE 4: POSSIBLY FIXED? Just wanted to report back with an update. I updated my Inspiron 13 7000 with the latest BIOS A07 - .1.08.00 (16 JUN 2016) and it appears to be working good. No audio issues so far. I've been running it for a few days now. Reboot, Shutdown, Sleep all works fine regarding this audio issue. 

Looks like Dell might have fixed this after all. Others that try the BIOS please report back and let us know if it works for you as well. 

Thanks

4 Posts

August 10th, 2016 18:00

@Jack,

I may have spoke too soon. After multiple reboots to verify everything was working from my last post, I powered up just now(from sleep) and got sound. At some point I folded my 2in1 to tablet mode and now, no more sound. After folding it back to a laptop, still no sound..

off to check my BIOS settings.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2016 18:00

Fast boot has been set to minimal, it was "thorough" previously, sound is back, will see if makes a difference.

FYI, This is a brand new Inspiron 13 2in1....  

4 Posts

August 10th, 2016 22:00

@AKIRAX9 

Hmmm, let us know how it goes.  I just tried to break my sound, I tried sleep, hibernate, restart, and flipping the screen over into into tablet mode.  But, with my latest bios settings it is fixed for good, I can't break the sound which is good.  

The only other thing I can think of for you is that a few weeks ago I installed the Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary update hoping that would help it which it didn't.  Then I installed any drivers from the Dell site that were newer, and of course updated the bios to the latest version.  But, that didn't seem to fix it.  But as soon as I turned off secure boot and then turned on the legacy rom all of my sound problems went away.

So, if you haven't already you could try updating to the Windows 10 Anniversary edition, then update your drivers (chipset, video, sound etc)  then make sure your bios is set to turn off secure boot, and turn on the legacy rom.  That is the order I did things in.

Here is my Windows version and model number, maybe ours are slightly different:

Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
System Model Inspiron 13-7359

1 Message

September 3rd, 2016 21:00

Tried to turn off secure boot, and turn on the legacy rom, but when I do that my PC refuses to boot. What am I doing wrong ? Help please.

53 Posts

September 4th, 2016 17:00

I always shut right down when it comes to audio drivers, restart never activates the driver. It has happened to me twice. Using a cold boot works for me, good luck.

September 10th, 2016 19:00

Hello, I have same sound issue on my Dell inspiron 13 i7359. And I tried to change BIOS setting, which was leading to 'no boot device found'.

So can you show some steps how to change UEFI mode to Legacy option rom?

Thanks a lot.

September 10th, 2016 19:00

I have same sound issue on my new Dell inspiron 13 i7359. It seems have this issue since I upgrade Bios from 01.07.00,A06  to 1.0.8,A07. But I was aware of the sound issue caused by BIOS. I have tried so many suggestions from online. Nothing works. Until I realize the sound issue happens only when the laptop restarts. So I search the problem and find this thread.

Long story short. Here is my attempts. First I go to Dell website to see if any new BIOS driver updates and I find 01.10.00 ,A08, but it did not work either. So I began to downgrade the BIOS, to 01.07.00,A06 -sound affects, to 01.06.00,A05- it works.

I also tried to switch UEFI boot to Legacy Options Rom, but it ended up to 'no boot device found'.

Someone suggested this method working. Maybe I didn't setting BOIS setting correctly. Anyway, I am glad the sound issue is gone.

Thanks

2 Posts

October 17th, 2016 17:00

Inspiron 13 - 7353.  Windows 10 Home 64 bit edition. 8GB RAM. Purchased new Dec 2015.  I bought this machine for my girlfriend.  Its been a great machine until recently.  Audio failed recently for no apparent reason.  Attempted re-installation of audio drivers from Dell with no results.  All Windows 10 updates applied.  First Reset PC, which did nothing.  Then Restored machine with factory image.  She is *** off about losing her images, favorites, etc.  But those can be transferred back from backups. Waste of time when I figured out that Dell Update was what hosed the audio upgrading to the 1.10.  I rolled back to the 1.06 version and audio is working fine again.  I called Dell to ask why the don't remove the package from the Dell  Update or fix the BIOS packages that keep breaking the audio.  The Dell tech answer was to stop using the Dell Update service.  I really think that is a bogus answer and that Dell should actually get some developer to fix the issue with the audio driver conflict whatever the level of issue it is.  The Dell Update service should not have to be disabled.  Lame.  Some people have better things to do than manually update device drivers and system patches constantly just to be able to use Skype or watch YouTube videos.  My girlfriend says the machine was updating itself more than she used it.  I've now uninstalled most Dell software I could find.

October 27th, 2016 22:00

I've tried installing latest BIOS and it solved the no-audio problem, until Dell sends another update. After the update -- which it seems is impossible to refuse -- the audio doesn't work. I've been through this three times. Why on earth is Dell sending out updates that kills the audio? I'm working on an Inspiron 13 7000 series.

October 27th, 2016 22:00

I tried the latest Bios, no dice. So that's not the problem.

1 Message

January 6th, 2017 13:00

Hello all,

I don'y know if this thread continues to work but I want to give it a try: I just acquired an Open Box Geek Squad Certified Dell Inspiron 13 7000, with windows 10, but for my sorprise, the internal speakers dont work properly. Before start using the new laptop, I updated Windows to the anniversary version, but later, when all updates had been made, I realized that no sound was coming out of the laptop, only with headphones and managed to make the speakers work when introducing half way and putting some pressure in the headphone jack.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

I updated every driver I could find but the problem remains. The HDMI port does not present any problem.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 7th, 2017 21:00

managed to make the speakers work when introducing half way and putting some pressure in the headphone jack.

A driver shouldn't cause that behavior. I would take it back to BB, or get it repaired under warranty. If you want to test the driver further, switch between the Realtek driver and the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one. On some models the native driver is called Intel High Definition Audio.

If you only have the symptoms with one of the drivers, then the other is at fault. If you have the same symptoms with both audio drivers, then it is probably a hardware issue.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2017 13:00

Hello. I also had similar problems. My system is Windows 10. The problem was that every time I put the laptop to sleep and woke it up then the sound controllers would disappear completely from the system. Sometimes after putting the laptop to sleep again and waking it up the sound would come back. Moreover, 3.5 audio jack didn't respond properly - after connecting speakers they wouldn't be recognized or they would be recognized only for a second and then disconnected.

I did lots of things to solve this issue, but one piece of advice would be to wait for at least 5 minutes after installing new sound drivers.

Other things I did was to downgrade the BIOS to A05 and then update it to A07, A08, and finally to A09.

I also turned off notifications about speakers/headphones being connected in the 'action center' (I don't know if it was of any help to solving the issue).

I cleaned the registry with ccleaner.

I uninstalled and deleted all previous sound drivers from the windows\system32 folder and lastgood folder and c:\apps folder.

I rebooted and waited for about 10 minutes.

I installed the newest (A01) audio drivers (but from what I can see the drivers that I have on my laptop now are newer than the ones I installed so probably Windows downloaded and used them automatically regardless of my installation.

I rebooted again and waited for about 10 minutes.

(Later I also turned off automatic apps installation provided by manufacturers in System properties > hardware tab > hardware installation settings (the real names of the settings may be different because my system is in another language). I don't know if turning it off before everything else would also help but you can try.)

Now the sound and speakers connection are working for me.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Paul

UPDATE: I again encountered the problem of disappearing sound device on my laptop. I was after I put the laptop to sleep and woke it up. In the past, sometimes when I had put it to sleep and woke it up again the sound would come back but not this time. I restarted the laptop but the sound still didn't appear. The second time I restarted I also went into BIOS and set a HDD password (I don't think this particular option has something to do with the problem, but maybe changing the state of BIOS alone has some influence). Then in Windows an information that something was changed in the BIOS appeared and the sound came back after a couple of minutes. So my advice is to wait after restart so maybe the sound would come back. The problem may also have something to do with updating BIOS.

FINAL UPDATE: I had my motherboard replaced, because it was broken. Now everything works properly.

1 Message

April 21st, 2017 15:00

1. Visit Dell's website for Drives & Downloads

> www.dell.com/.../

2. Enter your Service Tag or Product ID (*Service Tag Found on Sticker bottom of Laptop)

3. Go to the page > "Optimize your system with drives and updates". Click the "Find it myself" tab.

4. View drivers by "Release Date" & Show All

***make sure you have the correct Operating system & bit architecture selected***

e.g. Window 10 64-bit vs. Windows 10 32-bit, etc.

5. My Dell 13-inch Inspiron 7359 2-in-1 Laptop had the sound issue as well. After Shutdown it would work, but after Restart it would not work at all. After updating the System BIOS, it has resolved.

Download the latest System BIOS (as of this post, 17 Mar 2017 > version 1.15.0, A12)

2 Posts

July 12th, 2017 10:00

Hi, I have a Dell Inpiron 15 7000 and my sound stopped working. Already tried to reinstall drivers. Where can I find this bios 1.06 to download? On dell support website I was able only to download the 1.1.4, and 1.0.1.

No Events found!