Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

October 20th, 2008 16:00

Physical pain while using my M1210

For the last couple of months, I have been noticing a weird burning, tingling sensation in my abdomen when I use my laptop.  It used to be just when I used it on my lap, but now it is happening even with the laptop on a desk with me several feet from it.

It's gotten to the point where I feel really uncomfortable after about an hour of using my laptop.  It's not quite as bad when I use the laptop running on battery, but the pain always shows up eventually.  I've finally gone and bought a desktop, but I occasionally have to use my laptop when I travel and the pain always comes back.   

I've googled this and I can't really find anything like what I am describing, with the exception of some of the comments here:http://www.sarahpullman.com/blog/sarahfelicity/electromagnetic-radiation-your-laptop

Has anyone else experienced this?   It's really annoying and scary: I am basically prevented from using a fairly new laptop because of some weird radiation problem, but I think that if I try to explain the problem to Dell and ask them to do something about it, they'll just laugh at me.

Message Edited by mel206 on 10-20-2008 12:58 PM

3 Posts

I don't have a medical problem, but thanks for your concern.  Also, if you read my message, I am not using the notebook in my lap.  I am sitting at a desk in a proper chair wit the computer about 18 inches away from my body and I still feel this weird warm sensation in my abdomen which gradually starts to feel like an ache to me. 

I'm simply asking if someone else is experiencing it too and trying to get to the bottom of why I can no longer use my laptop which I absolutely need to use for my work as a graduate student.  I am certainly not claiming that the problem is radiation - that is what was mentioned as a possible explanation for the issue on the web page I linked to.   I generally don't buy into the "oh no your cellphone/laptop/power lines will kill you" narrative, but there is something real and physical going on here.

Anyone else?

808 Posts

You need to see a doctor first. Because I wouldn't ask Dell about a medical problem. You problem may be simple ergonomics and you need to reposition the way you handle your laptop. And laptop isn't the proper name anymore. It is more of a notebook. Many are too hot to keep on the "lap" I don't think it has anything to do with radiation, because you would get more of it outside in the sunshine than any computer can give you.

808 Posts

October 20th, 2008 17:00

@mel206 wrote:

It used to be just when I used it on my lap, but now it is happening even with the laptop on a desk with me several feet from it.

Sorry it was just this line that made me think you used it on the lap. But changed to a desk when it first started. And since it is the laptop that does it and not the desktop I would think it has something to do with the extra heat that laptops emit. Being if this may be a heat problem (Your stomach may be sensitive to the subtle change in temperature) Maybe try a cooling pad so it would dispense the heat more evenly and keep the laptop cooler. That may help, I have never heard of this problem in some 15 or so years of working with computers. Good luck on finding a solution, and when you do, please remember to post it back here so if others run into the same thing, they can find an answer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You're looking for medical advice in a technical forum.  Consult a physician as recommended.

121 Posts

consult a physician ASAP, before problem gets worst...

3 Posts

Rodney: You're right, I'm sorry - I was using it on my lap but now I do not.  I will look into some kind of cooling pad, maybe that will help.  It just seems so weird to think that it is heat that is doing this, since my computer doesn't feel especially hot or anything.  Thanks for your response.

ejn63:  I'm not actually looking for medical advice.  I am asking for feedback from other forum members who have had a problem similar to the one I am experiencing with my computer, so that I can determine the best way to solve my problem. 

If you haven't had this problem, don't know of anyone who has had this problem, and don't think that this problem even exists, there's really no need for you to waste your time responding to me.  

Message Edited by mel206 on 10-20-2008 01:21 PM

13 Posts

October 20th, 2008 20:00

it could be what we call in the biss a static or normal emf been injuiced are you a metal desk.

i have a problem at work with what is called leakage to earth from computers ive never heard of anyhting like this happening before mind.

a leakage is happens when a comp normaly the fans in it leak some of the electrical current and voltage down to earth that in very large installs is a problem.

but then your desk would have to also be earthed "bonded" to earth to put it at the same potentional for this to happen under a electrical install that is very poor and outdated (which i come across more than you would think).

also if your on a metal desk and your power supply is on your desk your could be caursing a emf to be injuiced into your desk this effect is "normaly" cancled out from live conductor to neutral conductor but if you have a faultly power supply this could potentionaly put a small voltage onto your desk and give you a tingling sensation and as the power/charge in the capcitor and transformer in your power supplyover time it could make it worst and worst and give of more of a charge onto the desk

as for it happening on battery non of these would happen as far as i know it could be your mind playing trickes,

typist wrist maybe ? :P

Message Edited by bisketuk on 10-20-2008 04:55 PM

13 Posts

October 20th, 2008 20:00

sorry also have you tryed turning off a radio frequency elements around you wifi, bluetooth and mobile (cell) phone, pagers, stuff like that as there as been some inconclusive research about there things thats can have odd effects on people, headaches and such

thanks matt

41 Posts

October 20th, 2008 23:00

I love posts like these.

1 - You should go seek a medical opinion first.

2 - If you THINK the laptop is causing this issue, why are you still using it???

Seems like there is always an excuse as to why people do not do either.  If you have that much pain that you have a need to express it publicly - SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.

No Events found!