Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2009 09:00

Playing DVD Movies on XPS 1330 running Windows 7

I’ve got an XPS 1330 supplied with Vista as OS which had the HDD reformatted by Dell Support (no mention by the technician that this would destroy the capability of PC to play DVDs). More recently I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 w/o problems.

I’ve never played a DVD movie on the laptop but as I’m going abroad for four weeks thought I’d test it out.

Established Media Direct is no longer installed – presumably lost as part of the reformatting. I reinstalled version 3.5 from the CD only to find that it doesn’t work (I installed in the usual manner not realising that with Vista, MD needs to be installed in a separate partition before the OS).

Having a quick check on the forums it appears that in any case MD 3.5 won’t work with Windows 7 but MD 4 might but I have no idea how to get hold of a copy.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to how I might be able get the PC to play DVD movies.

December 16th, 2009 10:00

Now sorted. Discoverd that installing & uninstalling MD had disabled my DVD unit. After rebooting it worked again & I was then able to play DVD movies using Windows Media Player. Have left this post up in case it helps anyboidy else

December 16th, 2009 10:00

Spoke too soon. WMP seems to only OK play commercially produced DVDs. DVDs I've produced on my home PVR will  not play. Thye will play on my desktop running Windows XP which uses Power DVD which was an earlier offering from Dell>

So it looks like I still need software like Media Direct or Power DVD which will run on Windows 7 if I want to run home recorded DVDs.

Any suggestions?

No Events found!