Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 13:00

Please HELP Permanent Fingerprints atop of my PINK STUDIO 1535

Last August I bought a totally upgraded, with all the bells and whistles, extended 3 warranty PINK Dell Studio 1535.  When I received it in the mail “another nightmare to long to mention” I noticed it had like a Pink rubbery top.  At first though oh how cool this will be easy to grip and lesson the accuracy of slipping from your hand if you go and move it.   That part I guess is good but the HUGE downfall to that is that the rubber DELL used was extremely pores’.   So, when you are normally opening and closing the laptop your fingerprints go right through to that pink top leaving a NASTY looking computer top.  I mean you can look at the top of my computer and tell how I open and close it. When I started to notice this I thought I might be able to clean it off “not knowing that would never come off.”   When it would not come off I contacted DELL with that and another problem my computer was having at the time.  When I spoke with the guy he basically told me that is was my fault because when I was ordering my computer on the phone I should had told them I wanted to hard plastic top.  Ummmm, excuse me!  !  I guess I was supposed to look into my magic ball and know this was going to happen?? Besides, you think the sales tech could have mentioned this BEFORE I paid out the ying yang for it.  I let this go for a bit. Today I thought I would try chatting with tech support online about it.  The man gave me a link to how to clean my LCD screen.  When I mentioned that he might have misunderstood my question he assured me this would work too.  BIG SURPRISE it didn’t!!  I’m really frustrated because I have an expensive computer that I love to use but HATE to look at because it looks so nasty, and it’s not even a year old.  I try to hide it when people come over because it that gross.  Also I would like to say.  I have no kids and I’m the only one who uses this computer.  I do not take roll my fingers around in grease this is just from day to day use.   I need to know how I fix this! Shouldn’t my warranty cover this?  Maybe the rubber that was used was defective?  I have bought a desktop, 2 cameras, a video camera, and many accessories to go with them all, and NEVER have I had this much trouble with a dell product or had a problem blamed on me for my ordering skills!!!  I guess it was my fault for not asking should I wear gloves when I open and shut my laptop while I was ordering it!! My bad!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2009 13:00

The bottom line is that no manufacturer is going to cover cosmetic damage, which is what this is.  Wear and tear is a normal part of anything you buy -  your car's manufacturer won't replace your door if a shopping cart hits it the day after your buy it.

The cost to replace the back cover is well under $50 for the part - if you are concerned about the appearance, you can buy the cover from parts-people.com and replace it fairly easily.

3 Posts

August 5th, 2009 14:00

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  I think they knew this product had a tendency to do this and that's why the tech support  I spoke with said I should had ordered a hard clear plastic top that protects it.  Which brings me to my point.  When I was on the phone ordering the laptop the sales tech who has the knowledge of products he or she is selling should had brought this to my attention before ordering. I mean I was ordeing all the bells and whistles why not sale me something else??  As far as ordering a new cover for $50, why would I when it will do the same?  Thanks for the help anyway.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2009 14:00

No one can protect a computer from wear and tear.  It will get scratched or scuffed when you use it, period.  What guarantee do you have that when you have a door dent repaired in your new car (at your expense;  no manufacturer will cover that), that a rock won't hit and damage the windshield next time, or that your son or daughter won't spill grape juice all over its grey upholstery?  Is it the car dealer's fault for not telling you that light grey isn't the ideal color for your car interior if you have children in the car?

If you don't want to deal with it a second time, you can:

As mentioned, cover the paint with something clear.  IT will take the marks, or

Buy a black cover that won't show dirt as easily.

The bottom line is that no manufacturer is going to cover cosmetic damage - you can take steps to minimize the problem, but the only sure way to prevent damage is the way a museum does - put the object in a glass case and look, but don't touch.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2009 08:00

I have a new 1545 laptop with the same fingerprint problem.  My finish is a mat black.  I talked to Dell and after some discussion they suggested a screen cleaner made by Intermec, which they were willing to sell me for $51 shipping and tax. This seemed a bit expensive.  So I called again to see  if the suggestion one buy a new outside top was feasible. Turns out it is $30 plus tax and shipping and the sales person said it was easy to change.  So I will just wait until mine gets really messy and buy a new lid.  I believe at that point one can choose a different finish. 

4 Posts

December 26th, 2009 17:00

Totally agree with you!  I purchased the same thing for my daughter.  She's a nursing student and decided to go with the pink color.  A five dollar donation is made to the Susan G Komen foundation for cancer with each pink laptop that is purchased.  We are very disappointed with the fingerprints that will NOT come off.   Dell knows this is a huge problem, but obviously doesn't care.  They should step up and change the surface.  Maybe the $85.00 designer series covers don't show the fingerprints.    They actually had the nerve to tell me they haven't heard it is a problem.  Guess they don't read these boards.

2 Posts

January 8th, 2010 15:00

I feel your pain.  I purchased my handsome, navy Dell 1737 laptop in August 09.  I noticed within just a few uses these never-seen-before (on any other laptop I've ever used) fingerprint smudges.  It's obvious the laptop cover (similar to a hard rubber type substance) grabs the natural oils from my hands and from there--they are trapped.  I have tried to remove them...but they won't budge.  Someone mentioned in a previous reply that this condition was a "cosmetic" wear & tear problem.  It's evident, (s)he does not own a laptop with this type of problem. 

If I can make a analagy...It would be similar to someone buying a new car at the dealership, expecting things to be normal...like every other car they've ever owned.  But, the next week, after driving the car in the during the day all week...they notice the sun's rays caused  the paint to chip off.  This too, is cosmetic, yet is not something you expect would happen under such "normal" circumstances.   We as consumers should not have to pay to fix a problem that happens with normal, everyday use.  This product must not have been tested with human hands prior to release.  Dell should come up with the solution and offer it to customers who paid for this product.

If you, or anyone else, knows how to resolve this problem--please pass it on. 

4 Posts

January 8th, 2010 17:00

I don't have a Facebook account but,  maybe something on that would get some attention from Dell.  Just a suggestion.  A multi-million company should care a little more about customer satifaction.  There has got to be plenty of people with this problem.  Thanks for any and all help.

3 Posts

January 8th, 2010 17:00

I hate that this is happing to more and more people, but glad in  away.  When I first posted this I was hoping for some resolution.  That DELL would magically fix it after reading my plea, LOL.  Well, we all know that did not work, but maybe if more and more keep posting about this problem someone from DELL will help us.  I still have not found anything to clean the top to this day, BTW.  My mother recently visited me from another state, and asked where was the PINK laptop I was so excited to get.  I was so embarrassed I told her in my office and quickly changed the subject!!  I was not about to show her the computer it looks even worse from when I posted the first time!! AND o yeah the longer you own it the worse it gets!!  

"Someone mentioned in a previous reply that this condition was a "cosmetic" wear & tear problem.  It's evident, (s)he does not own a laptop with this type of problem" 

I agree, I think (s)he was more interested in trying to promote a website for computer accessories sales??  Your analogy was dead on! Well put!!

If I find anything that works I will post back here ASAP.  Sorry about your computer!

4 Posts

January 8th, 2010 18:00

I never ask them to replace it.  I'm asking them to make a better product, that there are people who are unhappy with the way this cover reacts to fingerprints.   I have bought plenty of things in my lifetime, but never anything I couldn't clean, or have cleaned professionally.   WOW.  I'd hate to buy a new car that had nice shinny glass windows, and I couldn't keep them clean!   Everything should be able to be kept clean.  It's just important to some people.

2 Posts

Who said anything about replacing the laptop?  A recognition by Dell of the problem would be the first step, then perhaps they can create a solution--in more ways than one, to fix the defect. 

So you want Dell to replace your laptop's outer cover because your fingerprints are all over it ? Sorry but that's a little ridiculous. It is 100% cosmetic and does not hinder the performance of your laptop so it is NOT covered by ANY warranty.

1 Message

February 14th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

I own a black inspiron 1545.  I cleaned the screen and the cover,which was full of fingerprints, with a product called, Gleencloth

Order just the cleaning cloths which are 16" x 16".

www.gleencloth.com       1-888-OK-GLEEN (654-5336)

Good luck !!

Bonnieleeke   2/14/2010

1 Message

February 20th, 2010 11:00

I noticed this happening to my pink topped inspiron 1525 about 7 months ago. It started as little smudge like area's on the pink top of my laptop, and it has now spread to about a 2 in long smudge all the way down the right side of the cover. I also have most of the left side covered in about 2 inches of this dark discoloration and little faint ones on the lip. It drives me insane because i am a super neat freak, and there is nothing i can do about this besides spending a lot of money to fix a problem that i believe i shouldn't have to deal with.  I am a college student too, and i saved up for this computer for a very long time. I have now owned my computer for about 1 year and 3 months, and i am ashamed to take it out in public because it just looks wrong and dirty. *sigh* I'm just disappointed. I wish dell would do something about this without making us pay for it.:emotion-6:

1 Message

March 19th, 2010 16:00

I have this exact same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1525. If any of you guys find a solution for this problem, please let me know.

59 Posts

March 20th, 2010 14:00

My pink 1747 is doing the same thing. I've only had it about 2 months and started to notice fingerprints that I can't remove. I thought it was just me until I found this topic.

Just because the laptop still works doesn't make it acceptable. If it was on the palmrest you wouldn't see people saying that it isn't a problem!

Bukket

No Events found!