perla2wdw
1 Copper

Re: Please HELP Permanent Fingerprints atop of my PINK STUDIO 1535

I never ask them to replace it.  I'm asking them to make a better product, that there are people who are unhappy with the way this cover reacts to fingerprints.   I have bought plenty of things in my lifetime, but never anything I couldn't clean, or have cleaned professionally.   WOW.  I'd hate to buy a new car that had nice shinny glass windows, and I couldn't keep them clean!   Everything should be able to be kept clean.  It's just important to some people.

0 Kudos
nfm12
1 Copper

Who said anything about replacing the laptop?  A recognition by Dell of the problem would be the first step, then perhaps they can create a solution--in more ways than one, to fix the defect. 

0 Kudos
bonnieleeke
1 Copper

Hi,

I own a black inspiron 1545.  I cleaned the screen and the cover,which was full of fingerprints, with a product called, Gleencloth

Order just the cleaning cloths which are 16" x 16".

www.gleencloth.com       1-888-OK-GLEEN (654-5336)

Good luck !!

Bonnieleeke   2/14/2010

0 Kudos
benjisquenge
1 Copper

I noticed this happening to my pink topped inspiron 1525 about 7 months ago. It started as little smudge like area's on the pink top of my laptop, and it has now spread to about a 2 in long smudge all the way down the right side of the cover. I also have most of the left side covered in about 2 inches of this dark discoloration and little faint ones on the lip. It drives me insane because i am a super neat freak, and there is nothing i can do about this besides spending a lot of money to fix a problem that i believe i shouldn't have to deal with.  I am a college student too, and i saved up for this computer for a very long time. I have now owned my computer for about 1 year and 3 months, and i am ashamed to take it out in public because it just looks wrong and dirty. *sigh* I'm just disappointed. I wish dell would do something about this without making us pay for it.:emotion-6:

0 Kudos
Mist2468
1 Copper

I have this exact same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1525. If any of you guys find a solution for this problem, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Bukket
1 Nickel

My pink 1747 is doing the same thing. I've only had it about 2 months and started to notice fingerprints that I can't remove. I thought it was just me until I found this topic.

Just because the laptop still works doesn't make it acceptable. If it was on the palmrest you wouldn't see people saying that it isn't a problem!

Bukket

0 Kudos

;^) If a slightly damp cloth with a touch of detergent doesn't do the job, perhaps a different solution is in order.

:^/ First, though, a great big ol' warning: I haven't tried this myself.  My own laptop has a hard black cover, and so I haven't had to.  Therefore, I cannot say for sure whether it'll work.  On the other hand, Dell has already refused to help, and the original poster has described her laptop as so gross to look at that she effectively has nothing to lose, so this may be worth a shot.

My theory/strategy is to use a liquid that dissolves oil, such as isopropyl alcohol.  I work in a cleanroom at work and we use alcohol to remove ink from whatever surface gets accidentally marked, even rubber.

If alcohol doesn't do the trick, perhaps another cleaner/protector meant for rubber would do it.  For cars there is a product called Armor All, and it's great for tires, dashboards, vinyl upholstery, etc.

Do not spray directly onto the laptop.  Instead, spray a small amount onto a clean cloth, and then gently wipe the surface in question.  Start in a small area to determine whether there is any effect, and whether the effect is favorable.  If removing the stains completely proves impossible, perhaps merely reducing them and blending the edges of the stains with the less discolored areas will at least make the effect less noticeable.

Again, I would not recommend this experiment if it weren't a nothing-left-to-lose situation.  If anyone is brave enough to give it a whirl, please post back with your results.

;^) Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bukket
1 Nickel

Yesterday I sprayed mine with a kitchen cleaner and scrubbed it with a nail brush. It looks much better. But mine is only a few months old so it didn't have many prints on it yet. I'll have to see how it does over time. I think it is going to need cleaned about once a month to keep it looking decent. If that doesn't work I'll buy a new cover.

Good idea on the Armor All. I'll have to give it a try. I've tried using an eye glass cleaner on it that contains isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't do a thing.

I have 2 other pink laptops. My 1720 is flamingo pink and the cover of it is awesome. I thought it was the same material as this one but it doesn't get any fingerprints at all. It is 2 years old and looks brand new. The mini 10 has a plastic lid. Why in the world did Dell decide to use this material?

Another option would be to get a custom skin from skinit. Would probably have to contact them to make sure it would stick to this cover material.

Bukket

0 Kudos
alexh09
1 Copper

Hi i know its been a while since you posted this but noticed that you wrote that you might be trying to buy a new cover for your laptop. Ive got a pink Inspiron 1525 laptop and HATE all the fingerprints on it, i think its really bad that they have sold so many of these with a material that is not suitable for a cover at all. at first i loved the cover but it quickly became covered in fingerprints and looks horrible. not what you expect when you have saved up to buy a new laptop!

I just wanted to ask if you knew where i could buy a new cover/lid for my laptop as this problem is driving me mad!

Thanks

alexh09

0 Kudos
perla2wdw
1 Copper

Skinit.com is the website.   My daughter 's laptop still looks terrible and we have tried EVERYTHING!  Lestoil, spray and wash, shampoo for oily hair, screencleaner, Dawn dishwasing detergent,  cascade dishwasher liquid, Oxiclean, Mr Clean magic erasers, Armorall wheel cleaner.  Everthing we could think of , applied with a small dot of the cleaner on a cotton cloth.  NOTHING removes them.  I called Dell 3 times with much frustration!  Absolutely no help.  Replacing the cover would have been over 150 dollars they told me.  I was furious that they act like they have never heard about the problem from anyone else.  However,  we did just order a skin from Skinit.com for 29.99.  She decided to get one with her college logo on it for this fall semester.  I will let you know how it adheres to the surface.  I'm not getting my hopes up.  Wishing we would have went with anything but this pink (that almost has a brushed surface like suede.)  It's the worst she's seen at campus, when looking at other students' laptops.  No other colors seem to have that problem.

0 Kudos