Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2010 22:00

Please Help! I Need to update my driver!

My sound stops working after I windows updates. This has happened constantly. I can not find the drivers for my audio as it is confusing me. I own a gateway M-6888H notepad and cant find exactly what audio drivers I need and end up just deleting all the audio drivers I downloaded in search of the one I need. In deleting ALL of the audio drivers (includind the standard one that came with the notepad) I force the laptop to find the hardware and then reinstall itself whereby it will work until the next time windows decides to update. Apparently gateway bought the driver from some company that doesnt exist any more? But windows problem reports or solutions has directed me to this website so It must have something to do with Dell?

If anyone can help me find which driver I need I would appreciate it. At the least tell me where I can find the driver files so I know what I am looking for!!!

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 10th, 2010 06:00

I went on the Gateway site and looked for the audio driver for Gateway M-6888H  Drivers are specfic to the operating system and without knowing yours I specified "Vista". The driver it showed me is a Sigmatel audio driver. Sigmatel has been bought out by a company named IDT. You cannot get a driver from IDT, just from your computer manufacturer.

To find your driver go to Gateway page "browse all downloads" and use the dropdown boxes to put in your model, operating system, and file type (sound).

If you have Vista but do not have a Sigmatel driver, then when you boot up Vista installs its own generic audio driver. If Windows updates keeps deleting it then I'm not sure that installing a Sigmatel driver will prevent that. On my computer I don't allow automatic Windows updates. I have it set to ask me every time and I only allow it to install security updates and not mess with the drivers.

June 10th, 2010 20:00

Hi Jimco,

Thanks for your reply. I am making sure windows prompts me when it finds updates and I downloaded the necessary file from that link you sent me.

Thanks for your help

No Events found!