DanielCrk
1 Nickel

RE: Please fix the XPS 13 (2015) 9343 touchpad / trackpad

Richhy, I have the same problems as you (of course), mainly the lag with two finger scroll. Works wonderfully in IE but in any other applications, there is like a halv second delay before the scrolling begins.

I just tried the latest Windows 10 build in hopes that the driers there would be better, but unfortunately, the situation there is exactly the same, the scrolling is perfect in the new IE (Spartan/Edge) but in all other applications, the same lag 😞

So i think that the only possible solution to this needs to come from Dell. On the bright side, as the scrolling is perfect in IE, we at least know that there are no hardware limitations. But then again, the XPS 13 has been out for almost half a year now, so how likely is it that there might be a fix for this?

Highlighted
rushbikes
1 Nickel

Thanks kirkd. I updated the touchpad firmware and am still noticing that the pointer still takes a brief moment to engage. The slower I slide my finger across the trackpad, the longer it takes to engage the pointer. It's as if the trackpad is programmed not to engage when swiped less than a certain distance, or said another way, to engage when it is swiped a certain distance.

One thing I'd like to clear up for others as I'm just learning myself, the Delay setting under Mouse and Trackpad settings appears to have nothing to do with this lag I'm referring to. That is to say, the issue I have still exists no more or no less if I change the Delay setting. What I find this setting does is delays access to the trackpad after typing so the cursor doesn't accidentally skip around while you're typing. It's effectively a workaround for palm rejection.

Is this accurate? You seem to know better than I.

And for others to reference if they are interested in trying the updated trackpad firmware, here's the URL:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/B9RBP32/drivers?s=DHS

See the Firmware section. Dell Touchpad Firmware Update (9343_Firmware_T792T_WN32_18.1.48_A00.EXE).

akhaz003
1 Nickel

Thanks kirkd. I updated the touchpad firmware and am still noticing that the pointer still takes a brief moment to engage. The slower I slide my finger across the trackpad, the longer it takes to engage the pointer. It's as if the trackpad is programmed not to engage when swiped less than a certain distance, or said another way, to engage when it is swiped a certain distance.

One thing I'd like to clear up for others as I'm just learning myself, the Delay setting under Mouse and Trackpad settings appears to have nothing to do with this lag I'm referring to. That is to say, the issue I have still exists no more or no less if I change the Delay setting. What I find this setting does is delays access to the trackpad after typing so the cursor doesn't accidentally skip around while you're typing. It's effectively a workaround for palm rejection.

Is this accurate? You seem to know better than I.

And for others to reference if they are interested in trying the updated trackpad firmware, here's the URL:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/B9RBP32/drivers?s=DHS

See the Firmware section. Dell Touchpad Firmware Update (9343_Firmware_T792T_WN32_18.1.48_A00.EXE).

Hey rushbikes, welcome to the XPS13 touchpad emoticon.Smile.title

There is no fix for what you're describing and Dell hasn't even acknowledged the issue.  I have tried two different XPS13s from Dell and both had the same problem. 

I tried installing a third party driver, Synaptics, and Windows refused to use the inf file as the driver.  Perhaps there's a third party driver that works, but it sure as heck isn't our job to find it.  I'll be returning my XPS in a few days and boycotting Dell products.  Perhaps they'll fix the issue in the future, but I'm not paying $800 (refurbished price) to find out. 

akhaz003
1 Nickel

Dell,

PLEASE RELEASE AN OPTIONAL TOUCHPAD DRIVER

Love,

Airwolf

Here's how to "fix" the touchpad. But with this "fix" you no longer have two finger scroll or commands.  Go to device manager. You need a touchscreen or external mouse connected.  Under "human interface devices" disable "HID Compliant Touch Pad" and then disable "I2C HID Device."  Now enable ONLY "I2C HID Device"

You'll notice that your sensitivity is very low. You can turn up the sensitivity. But now the touch pad has NO issues with the input lag. And it has no two finger functionality.  So the problem is the "HID compliant touch pad" driver.  As expected, the problem is that Dell is too cheap to release their own driver.

fresh XPS 13, experiencing all the same issues on win10 

We are in the 21st century and we've invented amazing things, yet this silly touchpad is so disappointing

It seems like the two fingers scrolling works sort of all-right-ish only if you use the very centre of the touchpad, put your fingers anywhere else and you can forget about scrolling, there is no reaction whatsoever.

In fact win10 doesn't even allow me to set this touchpad as a precision touchpad. That must be because this is NOT a precision touchpad, simple as that

I don't care who's to blame, but what I do know is that I'm not going to pay for this. It's going right back to where it came from. Thank you very much

--

Bart

0 Kudos
DanielCrk
1 Nickel

I most definitely don't want to defend Dell, but Windows 10 is still in an early stage, and with the latest build, it recognizes the touchpad as being a precision one for me.

What I don't understand is, how is it possible that the scrolling, zoomin etc works so *** well in IE11? In IE11, it works basically as well as on a Macbook. Is the driver circumvented somehow in IE and in modern apps?

0 Kudos
securtekman
1 Nickel

On my xps13 9343 my IE11 does not function (launches but does not connect) plus the cursor flickers like crazy when IE11 is launched.

I use Firefox and I am forced to use a Bluetooth mouse due to the failure of this touchpad. It is too sensitive, jumps when I lift my finger, has a delay if I highlight a word and does not scroll properly.

Too late to send it back. But I do not have tot buy from Dell again.

Dell failed us all in this respect, plus Dell's support being in another country is a complete failure for us all.

I find the support absolutely worthless, all they know is format and reinstall.

There seems to be no communications between the foreign support and engineering departments.

I find some of the support to be rude and I for one cannot understand what they are saying. They may know some English but the heavy accent kills the reception for me. This is nothing but greed, they pay these people beans but still have the same or higher prices they the rest of the industry. When are these industries gong to bring jobs back to America?

0 Kudos
GG430
1 Copper

GG430

Will the firmware upgrade for the touchpad be made available for windows 7 x64 too?

The posted one obviously crashes in win 7. The touchpad is still a pain.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and after much stuffing around (trying to extract firmware image etc.) I ended up getting a Windows to Go version of Windows 8.1 installed on an external USB drive (see http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/) and managed to upgrade the firmware in Win 8.1.

I have not noticed much difference since, but the main issue I'm experiencing, intermittent super-slow two-finger scrolling in Firefox etc., has not been fixed. This problem also affects my bluetooth mouse scrolling (Logitech M557).

If anyone running Win7 has managed to solve this problem somehow, please let me know.

For the Win 7 users. I finally managed to run a wintogo version of win 8.1 and upgrade the touchpad firmware. The trick was to use a mobile drive instead of the usb stick.
Now the trackpad runs smooth under win 7 x64 with this driver:
Two finger scrolling works in IE11 and Chrome. All two finger gestures enabled in the driver.
Synaptics driver is 18.1.34.0.
THANKS @eddiekk for the hint to use WinToGo!
0 Kudos
jshwartz
1 Copper

Well I finally figured out how to fix the touchpad - I returned the computer and bought a HP Spectre x360, which has a normal touchpad driver that actually works!

oRAirwolf
2 Iron

Well I finally figured out how to fix the touchpad - I returned the computer and bought a HP Spectre x360, which has a normal touchpad driver that actually works!

This is the unfortunate truth of the situation.  Dell really should be ashamed of themselves.