eddiekk
1 Nickel

RE: Please fix the XPS 13 (2015) 9343 touchpad / trackpad

eddiekk
GG430

Will the firmware upgrade for the touchpad be made available for windows 7 x64 too?

The posted one obviously crashes in win 7. The touchpad is still a pain.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and after much stuffing around (trying to extract firmware image etc.) I ended up getting a Windows to Go version of Windows 8.1 installed on an external USB drive (see http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/) and managed to upgrade the firmware in Win 8.1.

I have not noticed much difference since, but the main issue I'm experiencing, intermittent super-slow two-finger scrolling in Firefox etc., has not been fixed. This problem also affects my bluetooth mouse scrolling (Logitech M557).

If anyone running Win7 has managed to solve this problem somehow, please let me know.

For the Win 7 users. I finally managed to run a wintogo version of win 8.1 and upgrade the touchpad firmware. The trick was to use a mobile drive instead of the usb stick.
Now the trackpad runs smooth under win 7 x64 with this driver:
Two finger scrolling works in IE11 and Chrome. All two finger gestures enabled in the driver.
Synaptics driver is 18.1.34.0.
THANKS @eddiekk for the hint to use WinToGo!

Glad it helped.

Just to re-iterate, in Win 7 64-bit, there is no input lag or minimum movement-threshold before the cursor starts moving. This is with the latest drivers (18.1.34.0) and firmware (18.1.48, A00)

However, there is an issue with two-finger scrolling being extremely slow intermittently. As if someone changed the sensitivity of the two-finger scrolling to the slowest setting. This affects the whole system (like a USB mouse).

Another issue is that the brightness keys stop working sometimes. Other keys like volume etc. work fine. A reboot is required to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
eddiekk
1 Nickel

eddiekk
GG430

Will the firmware upgrade for the touchpad be made available for windows 7 x64 too?

The posted one obviously crashes in win 7. The touchpad is still a pain.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and after much stuffing around (trying to extract firmware image etc.) I ended up getting a Windows to Go version of Windows 8.1 installed on an external USB drive (see http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/) and managed to upgrade the firmware in Win 8.1.

I have not noticed much difference since, but the main issue I'm experiencing, intermittent super-slow two-finger scrolling in Firefox etc., has not been fixed. This problem also affects my bluetooth mouse scrolling (Logitech M557).

If anyone running Win7 has managed to solve this problem somehow, please let me know.

For the Win 7 users. I finally managed to run a wintogo version of win 8.1 and upgrade the touchpad firmware. The trick was to use a mobile drive instead of the usb stick.
Now the trackpad runs smooth under win 7 x64 with this driver:
Two finger scrolling works in IE11 and Chrome. All two finger gestures enabled in the driver.
Synaptics driver is 18.1.34.0.
THANKS @eddiekk for the hint to use WinToGo!

Glad it helped.

Just to re-iterate, in Win 7 64-bit, there is no input lag or minimum movement-threshold before the cursor starts moving. This is with the latest drivers (18.1.34.0) and firmware (18.1.48, A00)

However, there is an issue with two-finger scrolling being extremely slow intermittently. As if someone changed the sensitivity of the two-finger scrolling to the slowest setting. This affects the whole system (like a USB mouse).

Another issue is that the brightness keys stop working sometimes. Other keys like volume etc. work fine. A reboot is required to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
joshn070
1 Copper

Hi Akhax003,

Thank you very much for posting this. Last week I contacted dell informing them about input lag, and they emailed me telling me they would organise a tech to visit site and replace the touchpad. After doing what you said, it is clear the issue is not with the touchpad but with the driver. There is now no input lag on Windows 8.1. I wonder if I should ring dell and tell them our findings however I am sure it will just fall on deaf ears and won't be communicated to the other service desk staff there or to the engineers who could fix the problem. In the mean time, I have turned up the pointer speed  in "mouse properties" --> "pointer options" --> "motion" to the highest amount but it is still too slow. Does any one know how I could increase the speed a bit further? I tried modifying the registry values as per this forum post from almost 20 years ago, but it has made no difference. Any ideas guys? Dell, if you are reading this, please fix the touchpad. It's unacceptable to have a laptop touchpad with input lag.

0 Kudos
GG430
1 Copper

Glad it helped.

Just to re-iterate, in Win 7 64-bit, there is no input lag or minimum movement-threshold before the cursor starts moving. This is with the latest drivers (18.1.34.0) and firmware (18.1.48, A00)

However, there is an issue with two-finger scrolling being extremely slow intermittently. As if someone changed the sensitivity of the two-finger scrolling to the slowest setting. This affects the whole system (like a USB mouse).

Another issue is that the brightness keys stop working sometimes. Other keys like volume etc. work fine. A reboot is required to fix the issue.

So does it still hang or something when scrolling? I've been using it now and it works as expected. No lag or anything. I've enabled all 2 finger gestures except rotation. All other 3 and 4 finger gestures are off. Not sure whether the Logitech driver which I installed in addition has any influence. I had to change some settings there too to make my mouse and the trackpad working.
Anyways, this seems solved to me right now and I rank the keyboard producing double hits on some letters as my #1 annoying thing 😉
0 Kudos
eddiekk
1 Nickel

So does it still hang or something when scrolling? I've been using it now and it works as expected. No lag or anything. I've enabled all 2 finger gestures except rotation. All other 3 and 4 finger gestures are off. Not sure whether the Logitech driver which I installed in addition has any influence. I had to change some settings there too to make my mouse and the trackpad working.
Anyways, this seems solved to me right now and I rank the keyboard producing double hits on some letters as my #1 annoying thing 😉

Yeah it still happens (roughly once a day), and the two-finger scrolling becomes really slow. I also have a Logitech mouse with latest drivers installed. Same settings as you too.

Do you have "Enable Smooth Scrolling" enabled in SetPoint? I do and I'm thinking maybe this could be the reason?

I might try uninstalling SetPoint/Logitech drivers to see if it makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rushbikes
1 Nickel

I may try migrating back to Win 7 if there's no input lag. Do you know if there's a way to control for palm rejection? That is my other big issue.

0 Kudos
GG430
1 Copper

I may try migrating back to Win 7 if there's no input lag. Do you know if there's a way to control for palm rejection? That is my other big issue.

Yes, there is a setting for palm rejection.
Dell offering Win 7 drivers was one of the reasons I bought this laptop after comparing with competitors.
0 Kudos
oRAirwolf
2 Iron

rushbikes

Yes, there is a setting for palm rejection.
Dell offering Win 7 drivers was one of the reasons I bought this laptop after comparing with competitors.

Does the Windows 7 driver allow for 3 and 4 finger gestures, such as using the touchpad to navigate back and forth on webpages?

0 Kudos
oRAirwolf
2 Iron

So I sent an email asking for an alternate driver for users who are dissatisfied with the Microsoft trackpad driver built into Windows 8.  I received a call back from the Dell advanced resolution team.  After some discussion about the issue and that it is affecting everybody using Windows 8.1, the representative told me that the trackpad is working as designed, that Dell is a hardware manufacturer and not a software manufacturer, and that they are not responsible for the functionality of the drivers that ship with their PC's.  They said that in this case, I would have to wait for Microsoft to release an updated driver and that it is not possible for Dell to fix this issue.  I explained that I understood the problem is with Microsoft's driver, but that there are a lot of people complaining about this driver.  I asked that an alternate driver be made available for those who are dissatisfied with the driver that Microsoft offers with Windows 8/10.  They said they were forwarding this request to a "tier 3" team. The person that I spoke with made it very clear that Dell take's no responsibility for this issue and that it is completely out of their hands.  I'm not really sure how a PC manufacturer can say that a flawed driver that is shipped with the operating system that they load on the machine is not their responsibility, but hopefully somebody from their "tier 3" team may be a little more reasonable.

akhaz003
1 Nickel

I doubt they designed the touchpad to have an input lag.  So, the touchpad is not functioning as designed.  If other laptops are using the same Microsoft driver and are not exhibiting input lag, that means Dell failed to design the touchpad within the specifications required by Microsoft's driver. Please keep us posted on their response.