oRAirwolf
2 Iron

RE: Please fix the XPS 13 (2015) 9343 touchpad / trackpad

I doubt they designed the touchpad to have an input lag.  So, the touchpad is not functioning as designed.  If other laptops are using the same Microsoft driver and are not exhibiting input lag, that means Dell failed to design the touchpad within the specifications required by Microsoft's driver. Please keep us posted on their response.

I agree with you and I will let you know.  I am pursuing another avenue now that Dell is officially saying this is working as designed.  It will probably take a while to get a response, as it all has to be done through a third party.

In the meantime, does anybody know of any other laptops with Microsoft precision touchpads that I may be able to find at a retail location like Microcenter to see if I can replicate the input lag issue?  This would be helpful with the above mentioned avenue.

Chardiot
1 Copper

Acer is the only laptop I have found that has the Precision Touchpad and that has the same lag.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

One site mentioned many other OEMs, specifically mentioning HP. Do a web search for others. Can't blame you for doing this.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Richhy
1 Copper

That's very unfortunate because when I contacted Microsoft they said:

"Microsoft provides a options panel for precision touchpads, but Microsoft did not build your touchpad nor the software drivers that control it.  I looked up who did build it, and it was built by the Synaptics corporation on behalf of the Dell hardware vendor.  Since Dell packaged it, they will provide support for these issues."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/microsoft-precision-touchpad-not-ver...

This is a classic case of a manufacture not wanting to take accountability for their product (Hardware or Software). Both are saying it's the other companies problem. 

oRAirwolf
2 Iron

Just for the sake of curiosity, I installed Ubuntu 15.  The touchpad works flawlessly.

0 Kudos
oRAirwolf
2 Iron

That's very unfortunate because when I contacting Microsoft they said:

"Microsoft provides a options panel for precision touchpads, but Microsoft did not build your touchpad nor the software drivers that control it.  I looked up who did build it, and it was built by the Synaptics corporation on behalf of the Dell hardware vendor.  Since Dell packaged it, they will provide support for these issues."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/microsoft-precision-touchpad-not-ver...

This is a classic case of a manufacture not wanting to take accountability for their product (Hardware or Software). Both are saying it's the other companies problem. 

Just for the sake of curiosity, I installed Ubuntu 15.  The touchpad works flawlessly in Chrome and Firefox, as well as any other application where scrolling is available.  I didn't take the time to setup Touchegg to get multi-finger gestures working, but I see no reason as to why it would not work.  I may end up installing Ubuntu permanently, even though I would much prefer to stick with Windows 8.1/10.

It's funny that Dell is saying that it's Microsoft's problem and Microsoft is saying that it is Dell's problem.  What a joke.  It is my genuine hope that somebody can figure out how to hack the OEM Synaptics driver to work with this laptop, as it is my genuine belief that this is the only way this problem is going to get resolved.  Nobody wants to take responsibility and meanwhile, the people who paid a boatload of money for this laptop suffer.

0 Kudos
DanielCrk
1 Copper

The fact that the touch pad works so great in IE11 makes it even worse. It makes the two-finger-scroll lag so much more apparent when you switch to any other win32 application.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

With three parties imvolved, no way can the desired resultbe obtained. Dell wants some pad characteristics, Synaptics has a pad and a generic firmware package (NOT a driver) that might be what Dell wants, and then Microsift writesthe driver as part of Windows 8/10 assuming it meets everyones needs. This is NOT a Systems Engineered product!!! Not surprised there are problems.

I looked up the Precision pad adjustible functions. Even though Microsoft claims lots of functions, you ca n only adjust:

Pad - on or off

Allow swiping in from left or right - on or off

Reverse Scrolling - on or off

Delay before pad turns back on after typing.

This doesn't seem very exciting for customization. With "normal" pad technology, if you didn't like the option list in the driver, you could install just about any driver for that manufacturer from any source. Sometimes you could also install drivers from other pad manufacturers. I always installed drivers from the Toshiba site, which were very functional compared tpo the Dell bare-bones drivers. Now you are stuck with what MS wants you to have. Anybody smell Big Brother in the room????

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

If you have lots of time, here is a post of a Q&A with a member of the MS Precision touchpad team. Indicated thatinitially, few driver options were included so as to get their feet wet, with more to be added later. How long do they think people will wait.

This is similar to the initial group of Win 8.0 Metro Apps. They were TERRIBLE; many didn't even work. It took over a year to get good ones in place. I don't think you should buy an expensive piece of hardware and then have to wait 1-2 years before it works!

I was thinking about the XPS 13 initiallyto replace my M1530, but am now wiser.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

Actually, the pad manufacturer writes the firmware that tells the pad what it can do, and Microsoft writes the Precision pad DRIVER to tells the pad how to do it; that driver is a part of Win 8/10. MS has deliberately left out driver options for the end user till they feel their way through the mess. See thisdiscussion by a member of the MS team:

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/1hky29/precision_touchpads_the_future_of_touchpads_on/

0 Kudos