GG430
6 Indium

RE: Please fix the XPS 13 (2015) 9343 touchpad / trackpad

Does the Windows 7 driver allow for 3 and 4 finger gestures, such as using the touchpad to navigate back and forth on webpages?

Yes it does. To me it has all the settings I'd expect from a touchpad setting software.
(Excluding the feature to change from two-finger scroll to side and bottom scroll, as on previous versions. Which I liked more)

Might not be fully helpful, but below is a screenshot of the german one.

0 Kudos
GG430
6 Indium

I never understood why Synaptics does not offer a newer driver on their page and leaves this to the OEMs. The latest one is 17.0.19.

Windows 8/7/XP/Vista 64/32-bit Edition v17.0.19

In the end the bad quality falls back on Synaptics too. Guess I'll be looking for a laptop with a Cirque pad in the future.

0 Kudos
eddiekk
6 Indium

oRAirwolf

Does the Windows 7 driver allow for 3 and 4 finger gestures, such as using the touchpad to navigate back and forth on webpages?

Yes it does. To me it has all the settings I'd expect from a touchpad setting software.
(Excluding the feature to change from two-finger scroll to side and bottom scroll, as on previous versions. Which I liked more)

Might not be fully helpful, but below is a screenshot of the german one.

Windows 7 driver options in English:

8 Krypton

I sent a PM on Reddit to the Microsoft guy that did the precision touchpad AMA about the problems we are having.  He replied with the following:

Dell's correct that there's nothing they can do for this - it's entirely on our end. While I'm not working on PTPs this release, I've forwarded your feedback to the current owners.

0 Kudos
davs2rt
6 Indium

If you're unhappy, head over to Dell's Facebook page.  There's an ad for the XPS 13.  Feel free to like my note that people considering the XPS 13 should read this forum thread first.

Dell may stop ignoring these problems if it begins to really affects sales. 

Tags (1)
eddiekk
6 Indium

If you're unhappy, head over to Dell's Facebook page.  There's an ad for the XPS 13.  Feel free to like my note that people considering the XPS 13 should read this forum thread first.

Dell may stop ignoring these problems if it begins to really affects sales. 

Direct URL to the post: https://www.facebook.com/Dell/posts/824404867595718:0

0 Kudos
rushbikes
6 Indium

@oRAirwolf,

If you wouldn't mind elaborating, did you let Ubuntu automatically detect the touchpad and install drivers/firmware, or did you pull the drivers from somewhere online and install them?

On a related matter, I came across a Dell developers forum focused primarily on Ubuntu and the XPS 13 (project Sputnik). There seems to be some fairly high level Dell developers following along and taking notes. If anyone wants to take it upon themselves, I bet posting a summary of the touchpad issues and a link to this thread over there would be an effective way to run this up Dell's flagpole.

I'll be trying to get in touch with 'Tier 3' myself. I don't expect a fruitful reply, but at the very least I'm hoping the customer feedback doesn't fall on deaf ears. And of course I'll share the reply here.

0 Kudos
eddiekk
6 Indium

I sent a PM on Reddit to the Microsoft guy that did the precision touchpad AMA about the problems we are having.  He replied with the following:

Dell's correct that there's nothing they can do for this - it's entirely on our end. While I'm not working on PTPs this release, I've forwarded your feedback to the current owners.

I agree that adding more features to the existing "built in driver" is Microsoft's responsibility, but I don't see that it would be difficult/impossible for Dell/Synaptics to port the existing Windows 7 drivers over to Win 8.1.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a frustrated developer hacking the existing Win 7 driver to work on Win 8.1/10.

The fact that Dell decided to go down the Microsoft driver route makes it their responsibility to sort out this mess. After all, we bought the laptop from Dell (well most of us anyways).

I for one will be holding off on upgrading to Win 10 until all this is sorted out (despite the shortfalls of the Win 7 experience).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

@oRAirwolf,

If you wouldn't mind elaborating, did you let Ubuntu automatically detect the touchpad and install drivers/firmware, or did you pull the drivers from somewhere online and install them?

On a related matter, I came across a Dell developers forum focused primarily on Ubuntu and the XPS 13 (project Sputnik). There seems to be some fairly high level Dell developers following along and taking notes. If anyone wants to take it upon themselves, I bet posting a summary of the touchpad issues and a link to this thread over there would be an effective way to run this up Dell's flagpole.

I'll be trying to get in touch with 'Tier 3' myself. I don't expect a fruitful reply, but at the very least I'm hoping the customer feedback doesn't fall on deaf ears. And of course I'll share the reply here.

I installed Ubuntu 15.04 64 bit.  It included the drivers for the touchpad, but only for scrolling and basic functions.  Gestures like 3 finger swiping will need to be added manually with something like Touchegg.  I am not a big fan of the Unity interface in Ubuntu, so I scrapped the project pretty quickly.  Ubuntu does not include drivers for the Dell DW1560 (Broadcom BCM4352) wireless chipset, so I had to manually install them via the command shell.  I cannot for the life of me find the guide I found last night to install the drivers, but if you want to give it a go, I will try and find it again.

0 Kudos
luishg
1 Copper

Same here 😞

New XPS 13 from Dell Spain.

The imput delay, mostly scrolling, is really unconfortable. If this is not a hardware problem, it seems that is working perfectly in Ubuntu, Dell should release some kind of update or help to microsoft to solve the problem.

0 Kudos