oRAirwolf
2 Iron

RE: Please fix the XPS 13 (2015) 9343 touchpad / trackpad

oRAirwolf

As soon as I get my new one, I am going to run DBAN on the old one and install a fresh copy of Win 8.1 before shipping it back.  It will be cleaner than a preacher's sheets.

emoticon.BigSmile.title

Thanks for letting me know about DBAN I've never heard of it. I'll do the same.  

No worries.  DBAN works with the XPS 13, but for future reference, you should probably use Nwipe.  DBAN got bought by some company and monetized, so they stopped making new free versions.  Nwipe can run with a lot of different host OS's and is actively maintained.

sourceforge.net/.../nwipe

0 Kudos
DanielCrk
1 Nickel

Any development on this?

I've installed the A004 update and I *think* that the two finger scroll delay has been improved a tad, but the difference is so small it might just be my wishfull thinking. (I had issues with repeating key strokes and that has been fixed, tho)

Has anyone of you guys tried the more recent Windows 10 bulds? Any improvements there?

0 Kudos
monfa.red
1 Copper

Some good news:

Install A004 bios update, then install the march 20th track pad driver again, you'll see a noticeable improvement on "Two Finger Scroll" and "Palm Rejection"  (Tested on Firefox 38, IE11, and Modern apps - Windows 8.1)

Install Windows 10 10135 technical preview, after updating the bios, everything works flawlessly on Microsoft Edge and Windows 10 apps!

so far so good! 😉

0 Kudos
securtekman
1 Nickel

monfa.red

Thanks, I believe your suggestion helped me when two fingering in Firefox.

My pointer still has a slight pause at times when hovering over a link. I have the i7.

Have you tried the trackpad when using the file manager explorer?

Mine touchpad is still very sensitive.

Folders open arbitrarily.

Folders open when the pointer passes over them and I am not tapping the touchpad either just moving the pointer normally.

Sometimes I have to tap the touchpad multiply times (like 4x) to open a folder or to close a screen.

Dell has no respect once they have our money, they will not acknowledge that there is a problem.

0 Kudos
msevera
1 Copper

Have you installed windows 10 from the scratch? or update from 8.1?

Have you installed 20th track pad driver again after you install Windows 10 and bios update?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rushbikes
1 Nickel

A quick update from a former XPS user...

Since posting in this thread a while back, I've tried and returned two XPS13's. Dell insisted that the first one was flawed and that a second would not suffer the same plight. As expected, the trackpad on the second functioned identically to the first, replete with flaws. Additionally, both XPS's grew extremely hot - I had the i7 version. The core temp of the processor was measured at 90 degrees Celsius.

Even with these issues, I was reluctant to make the return. I figured I'd try x, y and z workarounds for the trackpad, and I'd find a way to live with the heat. I mean, the form factor and screen of this laptop are amazing! A few things tipped the scales...

The trackpad and the heat issues taken in tandem indicated to me that Dell just didn't put the time and resources into thoroughly testing this PC. I switched from a long line of Thinkpads, and, while they have their own issues, none were quite as egregious as an overheating processor or made the computer as unusable as the trackpad. Firing up my old Thinkpad only confirmed for me what a properly functioning trackpad should feel like, and boy did my workflow speed up. The heat issues also gave me pause that this laptop might be trouble down the road.

Next, Dell's customer service. By and large, they were very accommodating about replacing the laptop and making the return. However, I found they lacked every bit of technical expertise. Taking a cleaver rather than a scalpel to a matter seemed their only solution. The idea of transferring my files and reinstalling software to a new computer every time an issue arose made my stomach churn. I just can't commit that much time to any computer. Plus a new computer took two weeks to arrive and I had to go through three different Dell reps before it was all complete. In comparison to the technical service I've been accustomed to from Lenovo, Dell left me very disappointed.

After all of these headaches, I'm happy to report that I've been using the Lenovo X1 and my girlfriend's Macbook Air to great satisfaction. The 14" display on the X1 and the 16:10 orientation on the Macbook feel like I have more breathing room from the displays than on the XPS13. Even though I sacrifice pixels, it has increased my productivity. The trackpads and keyboards both feel better than the XPS, really the only sacrifice I feel I'm making is in the form factor. It's looking like I'm going to stick with the X1, but if I do go Apple, I would run Windows on the 13" Macbook Pro with Retina.

Not applicable

Ok, here's summary of touchpad problems found so far:

1. Multifinger gestures (like scrolling) have significant lag (dead zone). In many cases scroll just not initiating at all.

2. Sometimes tap stops working at all. Clicking the hardware touchpad button fixes that.

3. After several days of use, MS driver goes wild and tap starts to work as MOUSE_DOWN(OS thinks that mouse button remains pressed), so when you tap somewhere and then move the cursor, OS assume it as click-and-drag. Clickng hardware button or double-tapping resets "pressed mouse button" state. Disabling/reinstalling driver does not work. Can be fixed by reboot.

4. Extreme tap sensivity(false positive) resulting in multiple ghost clicks. MANY FALSE CLICKS! In some cases this results in double-click events even when you tapped only once. Can't be adjusted/fixed, so I had to disable "close tab by doubleclick" in my browser, as it closes the tab instead of switching to it.
 Also, this reinduces problem #3 very frequently once it manifestated itself.

5. Lack of customization. For example three-finger tap/click for opening links and closing tabsin browser, or three-finger swipe to move back/forward in browser.

0 Kudos
DanielCrk
1 Nickel

Agent Smith, I don't recognize #4, but your description about the first three (and the last one, of course) are spot on, exactly the issues I'm having.

The tragic thing is, I still love this laptop, despite this. Imagine it having a touchpad without these issues... Man what a laptop it would be. I'm still hoping Windows 10 will improve the situation somewhat, even tho I don't hold my breath.

/Daniel

0 Kudos
securtekman
1 Nickel

Agent.Smith, Almost exactly as I see it.

#4 being the worst case for my XPs13 i7 especially in the explorer file manager.

I don't use this unit much as I prefer 22" monitors. But when I do I have to use a Bluetooth mouse.

I took it with me on an international flight recently and had a terrible time trying to use the touchpad on the plane.

I cannot remember who it was but I thought they were sending their unit in to be examined by Dell's tech team?

Does anyone know the results of this technical team examination?

0 Kudos
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

Remember, Dell doesn't have responsibility for this mess. They didn't design or produce the Precision trackpad, and they have NO responsibility for the driver - Microsoft forced this issue and writes the driver. Also, they admit that not all functions have been implemented in the driver - wait for Win 10,  maybe. Other OEMs are using a Precision pad, and they are all having problems - Google the issue for others to see. Exchanging XPS 13 units will not help.

As an aside, I checked out an XPS 13 at Micro Center and find it to perform well. However I am not a demanding pad user. In addition, most of the problems people have experienced I have had with most of my older laptops.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos