jamesau
1 Copper

Please fix the XPS 13 (2015) 9343 touchpad / trackpad

The Trackpad on this laptop is become really unusable. The cursor is jumping around when you lift your finger from the trackpad. I am finding it very difficult to use Photoshop and cannot do anything precise which is ironic as this is a precision touchpad. There is nothing precision about it.

Please Dell fix this. For me this is the only thing holding back the best Ultrabook ever made.

417 Replies
play420
1 Copper

RE: Please fix the XPS 13 (2015) 9343 touchpad / trackpad

The Trackpad on this laptop is become really unusable. The cursor is jumping around when you lift your finger from the trackpad. I am finding it very difficult to use Photoshop and cannot do anything precise which is ironic as this is a precision touchpad. There is nothing precision about it.

Please Dell fix this. For me this is the only thing holding back the best Ultrabook ever made.

I just got this laptop today and immediately noticed the same exact thing.  It's driving me nuts and really creating problems navigating.  I am really hoping this can be fixed with a software update and it's not hardware related.  I'm also wondering if this is just a flaw on certain units or all of them act like this.

Adam_T999
1 Nickel

Weird, I got mine today and have had practically no problems with it. It is slightly worse than my old MacBook pro's but much better than other windows I've used

0 Kudos
1nman
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue. It isn't exactly unusable, but I sure wouldn't want to have to use this trackpad the way it is as an everyday thing.

My main issue is the precision. Getting the trackpad to put the pointer inside a small box, for example, or to highlight a specific word is frustrating. It ALMOST goes to where I want it, but then  it takes me a little bit of effort to be precise. Usable, but not efficient at all.

I've read about a driver from Cypress that fixes some issues, but it sounds like those issues are more detailed, like two finger scrolling and double tapping.

ALL I WANT IS TO MOVE THE CURSER AROUND THE WAY I COULD WITH MY 3 YEAR OLD XPS I JUST MOVED FROM!

I feel like productivity has taken a downgrade with my upgrade. SAD!

Richhy
6 Indium

I'm experiencing the same frustrations with this touchpad. This is how I can best describe them. 

1. There is a noticeable delay when trying to make slow light movements. My finger can move several millimeters before the cursor responds. It may not sound like much, but if you're trying to make subtle movements in photoshop, or select a specific character anywhere it's very noticeable and difficult to use. 

2. The majority of the time when I lift my finger the cursor will jump several pixels, often moving away from the object I'm trying to target. 

3. If you use any browser besides IE, two finger scrolling is very choppy and has a similar delay that's experienced in the first issue. 

There are a few other minor annoyances, like poor palm detection and using two hands (one to move the cursor and one to click with) but the issues above are the biggest annoyances, ordered by most annoying to least. 

I'd love to see new drivers/software NOT released by Microsoft. 

namja
1 Copper

1. There is a noticeable delay when trying to make slow light movements. My finger can move several millimeters before the cursor responds. It may not sound like much, but if you're trying to make subtle movements in photoshop, or select a specific character anywhere it's very noticeable and difficult to use. 

2. The majority of the time when I lift my finger the cursor will jump several pixels, often moving away from the object I'm trying to target. 

3. If you use any browser besides IE, two finger scrolling is very choppy and has a similar delay that's experienced in the first issue.

I have the same issues. All 3 of them. And I absolutely hate this aspect of the new Dell XPS 13. I love pretty much everything else.

NOTE on #1: this is based on a Windows 8.1 setting. By default, there is a delay so that you don't accidentally hit the touchpad while typing (I think this is the reason why). Go into PC Settings and you can change the sensitivity on this or just turn it off.

0 Kudos
Richhy
6 Indium

NOTE on #1: this is based on a Windows 8.1 setting. By default, there is a delay so that you don't accidentally hit the touchpad while typing (I think this is the reason why). Go into PC Settings and you can change the sensitivity on this or just turn it off.

Are you talking about the options at the button of Mouse and Touchpad settings that has a drop-down for: No delay (always on), Short delay, Medium delay, Long delay and Turn off taps?

I tested all 5 out and didn't notice any difference in the cursor delay. I tested it by slowly moving my finger on the Touchpad until the cursor responds. The slower I move my finger the longer it takes to respond. 

agrodzki
1 Copper

Yes, this is a big issue! Shame it is not possible to install synaptics drivers as they are much better.

Dell, please fix it!

dtb7024
1 Copper

Have the same issue with movement when lifting my finger. Almost like the touchpad is a bit too sensitive. I have never experienced this issue before a touchpas

dtb7024
1 Copper

Have the same issue with movement when lifting my finger. Almost like the touchpad is a bit too sensitive. I have never experienced this issue before a touchpad