Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2013 15:00

Plugged in, charging but won't pass 70%

Mine is an Inspiron 14z, running window 7 ultimate. The last 2 days, my battery will only charge up to 70% then it just stay there although the icon shows "plugged in, charging". 

I've tried a couple things:

-Unplug-plug

-Pull out the battery put it back on.

-Uninstall/ Install Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method battery

-Restore to point before this occur. 

August 6th, 2013 15:00

Hi fantome1721,

The reason why your battery would stay upto 70% and not charge further could be due to an option called "Desktop Mode" which might be enabled. Desktop mode helps in disabling the battery to charge upto 100% to maximize the life of the battery. This option can also be disabled. To disable this option:

• Right-click the battery icon on the Windows notification area, and then click Dell Extended Battery life Options
  • The Battery Meter dialog box is displayed, Click the Desktop Mode tab
  • Select the option to disable this feature
  • Then, click OK

Hope this helps.

(edited)

August 6th, 2013 18:00

I do not have "Dell Extended Battery Life" option. There are only: "Adjust screen brightness", "power option", "window mobility center" and "turn system on or off"

September 16th, 2014 05:00

Hi there...

I had this problem .. and I have solved it by doing the following steps :

- click on the battery icon ,then 'More power options'

- click on 'Desktop mode battery charge'

- click on 'Disable' ,then 'Apply' .....

100% working ;)

August 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi fantome1721,

It seems that the software named Quickset is not installed on the computer. Lets try a few other steps and check if it resolves your charging issue. First of all, lets remove residual power on the computer which might be causing an interference. To remove residual power on the computer follow the steps below:

• Shut the laptop down completely.
  • Unplug the charger, if connected and then remove the battery too
  • Press and hold the power button down for 30 to 40 seconds and then release it
  • Plug the battery first and then connect the charger
  • Power on the computer.
Let the computer boot into windows and see if the battery starts to charge above 70%. If it does, well and good. If not, then lets try and update the BIOS of the computer to the latest version. To download the BIOS for your computer, click here and enter the service tag number on the screen and then click on drivers and downloads and select your version of windows you are using and then from the list download the BIOS. Next, follow the steps below on how to update the BIOS:
  • Unplug all the peripherals connected to the computer.
  • AC Adapter / Charger should be plugged in at all times before initiating the BIOS update till its complete.
  • Make sure the battery charge is at least above 10% to initiate BIOS update.
  • Close all programs and run the BIOS file to initiate the update. (Computer might restart a couple of times during the update which is normal)

Now, after the update is complete, the computer will boot up into windows. Check now and see if it charges the battery above 70%. If it still doesn't charge the battery then open Control Panel and then click on uninstall a program or program and features icon. In the list please find the software named Quickset. If you do find that software then go ahead and uninstall it. Restart the computer and check if it begins to charge above 70%. If it still does not, then we need to install the latest version of Quickset on the computer. To download Quickset go to the same webpage (link above) from where BIOS was downloaded. You can find Quickset under Application section in the list. Install the Quickset and restart the computer and see if the battery starts charging above 70% or not.

Please reply with your findings. Awaiting for your reply.

August 8th, 2013 01:00

thank you very much for your detail instructions but I'm still not able to solve the problem. I tried all the steps above but my battery limit now actually went down to 69%. Battery meter from Quickset says my battery is performing normally.

August 8th, 2013 11:00

Hi fantome1721,

You may also try re-calibrating the battery. The steps are:

·         Shut down the system

·         Disconnect the ac adapter and remove the battery

·         Put the battery back in after 2-3 hours

·         Connect the ac adapter and without turning on the system charge the battery for overnight.

Power on the computer then and check if the charge percentage increases than 70% or not. 

Please reply with your findings.

August 9th, 2013 12:00

I took it out for 3 hours and let it charge for 12 hours but it's only charge up to 67% percent now. I think there is something wrong with the battery not the softwares because the number just keep dropping down.

August 9th, 2013 13:00

I couldn't type after post those picture but yeah, you can see in the pics, it's charging but the limit now is 67%. All the selections in the setting box are default since  I installed quickset.

Hi fantome1721,

Yes it could be possibly true to what you are saying. But, I would like to check just one last thing before we arrive to a conclusion. I would like you to send a screenshot for the battery meter window so that I can make out what all options are available there. Also could you check once again that if you hover the mouse onto the battery icon on the bottom right hand side (when the charger is plugged in), does it say 'Plugged in, charging' or 'Plugged in, not charging' ?

Awaiting for your reply.

August 9th, 2013 15:00

Hi fantome1721,

Thank you for the screenshots. They were really helpful.

There is one last troubleshooting step that I would advise you to do. This will help us to eliminate whether its a hardware problem or a software issue.

• Drain the battery down to 0%

• Do not plug the charger in till the battery gets completely discharged.

• Once the battery is completely discharged, remove it from the computer and let it cool down.

• Once its cooled down, plug the battery back in into the laptop

• Do not power on the laptop

• Charge the battery for 3 to 4 hours by pluging in the adapter without powering the computer on.

After 3 to 4 hours, power on the computer and let it boot into windows. Is the battery now above 70% . Another step is, if you have a good known Dell battery (similar in model) you can plug that battery in and see what percentage does the computer show? This will take us to the final resolution.

I appreciate your co-operation with us. Awaiting for your reply.

August 10th, 2013 10:00

I have both good news and bad news. Good news, it goes above 70%. Bad news is, it only goes up to 75% after 9 hours of charge and doesn't seem to goes up any more.

August 10th, 2013 10:00

It still shows "plugged in, charging"

August 12th, 2013 11:00

Hi fantome1721,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems to be a hardware problem with the computer. It could either be the problem with the battery or the motherboard. To isolate where exactly the problem is, I would request you to arrange a good known working Dell battery and plug it into the laptop and see if it works fine. If the good known battery works fine, then we can say the battery is bad for sure.

Appreciate your patience and co-operation. Waiting for your reply.

August 12th, 2013 15:00

Hi fantome1721,

Yes there is a different way. We can test the battery by running the online Dell Diagnostics on the battery. If it fails or pass the tests then we can arrive to a conclusion. You can click here to go to the Online Diagnostics page. Once the webpage is open, click on Hardware and select the Battery from the list below and click on Run Diagnostics.

Post the result with the screenshot (if possible). To narrow down the problem, also try plugging in a different charger of the same wattage to the laptop and see if that helps in charging the battery or makes any difference.

Awaiting for your reply.

No Events found!