Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 15:00

Possibility of adding a Backlit keyboard to an Inspiron 15 - 5558

I'm fairly sure that when I was researching which laptop to buy I seen models of the 5558 that came with a backlit keyboard. The one I ended up ordering didn't but is it possible to add one? If so where can I even find one? I've tried looking everywhere but couldn't find any information on this.

1 Message

October 1st, 2015 18:00

I have a Dell 5558.  I don't know if you guys figured it out or not but the little port above the actual keyboard port is the backlight port.  I also thought my laptop came with a backlighted keyboard but it did not.  I found a keyboard with backlighting that works for the 5558.  Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191487199859?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   It doesn't say that it will (or won't) work for the 5558 but i bought it and am typing with it right now.  Just make sure you plug in the keyboard and backlight connectors in the right way.  If you need help taking off your keyboard or putting on the new one let me know.

780 Posts

August 4th, 2015 17:00

Hi,

Only Touch screen model ships with a backlight keyboard.

Backlit keyboard has a connector for data and one for backlight. You may call the Dell support in your geographical location to order a backlight keyboard.

However, You need to be sure there is a backlight connector underneath the keyboard . If I guide you on keyboard removal procedure, Would you be able to try that?

Thanks

41 Posts

August 4th, 2015 23:00

Actually, I just got my laptop yesterday and it had a problem with the screen (which is a touchscreen) so i boxed it back up and will have to wait as I'd rather not open the box again and mess with it till my replacement arrives. I'm fairly certain I'll have little problem getting the keyboard off, I've done it before on other keyboards like it.

So besides the little clip that attaches the keyboard to the laptop, I'm guessing there should be another bigger unused clip that's left open am i correct? And if I'm correct having that extra clip should prove in theory that it does support a backlit keyboard?

780 Posts

August 5th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Yes that right.

Thanks

41 Posts

August 5th, 2015 23:00

Ok, thanks! I should have though of that earlier but  thanks again for the help :)

3 Posts

August 14th, 2015 12:00

Hiiii

I have purchased Dell 5558 i5, 4GB RAM, 15.6 inch model which is of  46,990/-. I wish to add backlight keyboard to it. I am not that efficient to open up my laptop. Is it possible to add backlight keyboard to it. Is making such addition safe as it would require disassembling ? 

If yes, where should I call. Can u help me out?

Thanks

41 Posts

August 15th, 2015 12:00

I'm still unsure if we can or not. I just barely received my laptop and I took off the keyboard and what I was expecting is there to be an inch sized ribbon input on the left side of the keyboard (i think i saw that in video) ... well , there wasn't one on this model but there was an unused input near the center that was maybe 1/3 of an inch. It's likely that's where the power for the lights would plug in but I'm not 100% sure. Unfortunately there are limited "how to" videos on this topic but I'll lookout for one and post details when I find it, or I may just go ahead and try to buy one and see what it looks like when I get it, As soon as I see the bottom of it I'll know right away if its compatible or not. I can tell you getting the keyboard off was a little tricky on this model compared to others Ive done, but not near as hard as it could be as all you need to do is carefully un-notch the 4 notches on the top of the keyboard... once u get one notch undone, use a card or thin plastic to raise it up a lil so it doesn't re lock.  If you have never done it before and are dead set on doing it, check out some youtube videos on "how to replace Chiclet keyboard"

3 Posts

August 28th, 2015 10:00

Hiiii

I have purchased Dell 5558 i5, 4GB RAM, 15.6 inch model which is of  46,990/-. I wish to add backlight keyboard to it. I am not that efficient to open up my laptop. Is it possible to add backlight keyboard to it. Is making such addition safe as it would require disassembling ? 

If yes, where should I call. Can u help me out?

Thanks

41 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 20:00

Thanks! I've been busy beefing up my 2 desktops I've totally neglected my 5558 and put this topic off... now that I have confirmation of where to get and that it works i'll pick one up tonight! Again, Thanks!

1 Message

December 15th, 2015 08:00

I am interested in finding out if my Inspiron 5558 has a connector for a backlit keyboard. Could you forward me the guide?

Thanks

41 Posts

December 15th, 2015 14:00

Yeah, it does... I dont know about a guide but someone posted a link to a backlit keyboard earlier in this thread and I went ahead and bought it. The connections are pretty straightforward and self explanatory... the one thing i will say i was worried about was the little ribbons u connect to clamps are easy to connect but dont come pre-bent and i was worried about whether i should try to bend it to match the old keyboard or just sort of guide it in where it wasn't exposed... I just tucked it in easily and put the keyboard in without making a crease on the ribbon connector and all went fine. Anyways long story short, I found it to be fairly simple and was very pleased with the outcome, the backlit keyboard is much better and I'm glad I got it, and thanks to Paulus1692 for the link to keyboard he got... otherwise i might have put it off entirely.

No Events found!