Highlighted
guitarlifter
1 Copper

Possible upgrades for Dell Inspiron SE 17r 7720?

Jump to solution

A couple days ago, I placed an order for a Dell Inspiron SE 17r 7720, and I am wondering what kinds of upgrades I can put into this laptop, so I'll just run through what's on my mind.

1.  Can I install more than one HDD?  Can I use RAID?

2.  Can I install a SSD (probably a 256gb SSD) in the Sata III slot and still use the mSATA 32gb SSD as a cache drive?  Would this even be useful or make the computer faster if the main drive is already an SSD and not just a regular HDD? 

3.  Can I upgrade the processor in the future?  I am especially interested in the i7-3820qm.  Also, can I overclock these processors (both the i7-3610qm and the i7-3820qm) beyond their turbo speed are set at by default?  Please don't give me the answer "but the turbo speed is already overclocking the processor."

4.  Can I upgrade the graphics card in the future?  Even to other nvidia cards such as the GeForce GTX 680M?

5.  What is the maximum supportable RAM in this particular model?

The reason why I got this particular laptop and not just a laptop that already had these upgrades is because I really value this laptop for its 1080p 120hz 17.3" 3D screen while considering its price point, which is about half of what the Alienware one costs if I were to want the 3D screen in that model.  I figure I can upgrade my laptop myself, sell off the parts I don't need and come well under the $2499 it would cost me for that particular Alienware computer.  If not, I'll still gladly accept this laptop because it's really not worth the $1200 for the upgrades for the Alienware that wouldn't even get me everything I want anyway (i7-3820qm, 256gb SSD, etc.).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Possible upgrades for Dell Inspiron SE 17r 7720?

Jump to solution

Hi guitarlifter,

On your Dell Inspiron™ 7720/17R-SE

1. Yes, you will be able to install the second HDD. Unfortunately,this system model does not support RAID technology.
  2. Dell does not offer SSDs with this system model apart from the default mSATA SSD.
  3. Processor/Motherboard upgrades will have to be performed at your own risk as they are not covered under the limited hardware warranty. Unfortunately, this system model does not support overclocking (BIOS or through any overclocking application)
  4. Graphic card upgrades are not supported on Dell notebooks.
  5. The maximum RAM supported on this system model is 8GB 1333/1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (SODIMM).

Please reply for any queries.

0 Kudos
Dao88
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have bought the 7720/17R-SE, with 1TB hard drive, I have purchased additional 2 x Kingston 8GB - 1600 SODIMM = 16GB working ok, also purchased 2 x OCZ Vertex 4 - 256GB HD and would like to create a RAID-0 partition for installing my Win7 PremHome or Win8 Pro as system boot up drive. what will be the major steps to create the RAID-0 before I install the O/S on it?

I have tried to press <Ctrl-I> during boot up but never worked after I removed the RST RAID setup, can I create the RAID-0 partition using <Ctrl-I>?  If not what can I do?

Thanks a lot!

Dao

0 Kudos
59 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi guitarlifter,

On your Dell Inspiron™ 7720/17R-SE

1. Yes, you will be able to install the second HDD. Unfortunately,this system model does not support RAID technology.
  2. Dell does not offer SSDs with this system model apart from the default mSATA SSD.
  3. Processor/Motherboard upgrades will have to be performed at your own risk as they are not covered under the limited hardware warranty. Unfortunately, this system model does not support overclocking (BIOS or through any overclocking application)
  4. Graphic card upgrades are not supported on Dell notebooks.
  5. The maximum RAM supported on this system model is 8GB 1333/1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (SODIMM).

Please reply for any queries.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

1.  Yes.  RAID, only with mSATA + hard drive.

2.  Yes.

3.  Yes

4.  No.

5.  Officially 8G but some report 16G will work.

0 Kudos
guitarlifter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@ejn63:  For your third response, is that a yes in that I can upgrade my processor or a yes in that I can overclock it?  Or can I do both?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi guitarlifter,

You will be able to replace the processor on your laptop but it will not be covered under the warranty. Using the Dell BIOS you will not be able to overclock the processor.

0 Kudos
Dao88
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have bought the 7720/17R-SE, with 1TB hard drive, I have purchased additional 2 x Kingston 8GB - 1600 SODIMM = 16GB working ok, also purchased 2 x OCZ Vertex 4 - 256GB HD and would like to create a RAID-0 partition for installing my Win7 PremHome or Win8 Pro as system boot up drive. what will be the major steps to create the RAID-0 before I install the O/S on it?

I have tried to press <Ctrl-I> during boot up but never worked after I removed the RST RAID setup, can I create the RAID-0 partition using <Ctrl-I>?  If not what can I do?

Thanks a lot!

Dao

0 Kudos
wilks7
2 Iron

Jump to solution

with the stuff you want to be able to do to keep your computer future proof you might be better off building your own desktop system........

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Dao88,

Dell Inspiron 7720/17R-SE does not support RAID 0 or RAID 1.

The Intel RST is a type of RAID technology which works with the ‘mSATA’ SSD so that it can be used for Caching so that it can store more actively used applications and programs.

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
TechnoME
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have upgraded my 8gig to 16 and have not had a problem.  I also have replaced my primary hdd with an M4 512 crucial SSD and see much improvement, I hope to install an mSATA 64gb crucial next week with the 1tb 5400 rpm running win8 to see if/how it works.  I got win8 pre-installed on this 3630qm I7(no 3D), but backed it to win7 because of the already installed software packs I had.  Win 8 looks like its not too bad, we'll see.

Anonymous
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

I have upgraded my 8gig to 16 and have not had a problem.  I also have replaced my primary hdd with an M4 512 crucial SSD and see much improvement, I hope to install an mSATA 64gb crucial next week with the 1tb 5400 rpm running win8 to see if/how it works.  I got win8 pre-installed on this 3630qm I7(no 3D), but backed it to win7 because of the already installed software packs I had.  Win 8 looks like its not too bad, we'll see.

Can you tell us the result of adding 64GB mSATA SSD into your Inspiron 7720 SE? Was it successful or not?

0 Kudos