Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2012 01:00

Possible upgrades for Dell Inspiron SE 17r 7720?

A couple days ago, I placed an order for a Dell Inspiron SE 17r 7720, and I am wondering what kinds of upgrades I can put into this laptop, so I'll just run through what's on my mind.

1.  Can I install more than one HDD?  Can I use RAID?

2.  Can I install a SSD (probably a 256gb SSD) in the Sata III slot and still use the mSATA 32gb SSD as a cache drive?  Would this even be useful or make the computer faster if the main drive is already an SSD and not just a regular HDD? 

3.  Can I upgrade the processor in the future?  I am especially interested in the i7-3820qm.  Also, can I overclock these processors (both the i7-3610qm and the i7-3820qm) beyond their turbo speed are set at by default?  Please don't give me the answer "but the turbo speed is already overclocking the processor."

4.  Can I upgrade the graphics card in the future?  Even to other nvidia cards such as the GeForce GTX 680M?

5.  What is the maximum supportable RAM in this particular model?

The reason why I got this particular laptop and not just a laptop that already had these upgrades is because I really value this laptop for its 1080p 120hz 17.3" 3D screen while considering its price point, which is about half of what the Alienware one costs if I were to want the 3D screen in that model.  I figure I can upgrade my laptop myself, sell off the parts I don't need and come well under the $2499 it would cost me for that particular Alienware computer.  If not, I'll still gladly accept this laptop because it's really not worth the $1200 for the upgrades for the Alienware that wouldn't even get me everything I want anyway (i7-3820qm, 256gb SSD, etc.).

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 24th, 2012 02:00

Hi guitarlifter,

On your Dell Inspiron™ 7720/17R-SE

1. Yes, you will be able to install the second HDD. Unfortunately,this system model does not support RAID technology.
  2. Dell does not offer SSDs with this system model apart from the default mSATA SSD.
  3. Processor/Motherboard upgrades will have to be performed at your own risk as they are not covered under the limited hardware warranty. Unfortunately, this system model does not support overclocking (BIOS or through any overclocking application)
  4. Graphic card upgrades are not supported on Dell notebooks.
  5. The maximum RAM supported on this system model is 8GB 1333/1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (SODIMM).

Please reply for any queries.

1 Message

September 30th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

I have bought the 7720/17R-SE, with 1TB hard drive, I have purchased additional 2 x Kingston 8GB - 1600 SODIMM = 16GB working ok, also purchased 2 x OCZ Vertex 4 - 256GB HD and would like to create a RAID-0 partition for installing my Win7 PremHome or Win8 Pro as system boot up drive. what will be the major steps to create the RAID-0 before I install the O/S on it?

I have tried to press during boot up but never worked after I removed the RST RAID setup, can I create the RAID-0 partition using ?  If not what can I do?

Thanks a lot!

Dao

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 24th, 2012 07:00

1.  Yes.  RAID, only with mSATA + hard drive.

2.  Yes.

3.  Yes

4.  No.

5.  Officially 8G but some report 16G will work.

September 24th, 2012 08:00

@ejn63:  For your third response, is that a yes in that I can upgrade my processor or a yes in that I can overclock it?  Or can I do both?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 28th, 2012 06:00

Hi guitarlifter,

You will be able to replace the processor on your laptop but it will not be covered under the warranty. Using the Dell BIOS you will not be able to overclock the processor.

96 Posts

September 30th, 2012 09:00

with the stuff you want to be able to do to keep your computer future proof you might be better off building your own desktop system........

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 4th, 2012 02:00

Hi Dao88,

Dell Inspiron 7720/17R-SE does not support RAID 0 or RAID 1.

The Intel RST is a type of RAID technology which works with the ‘mSATA’ SSD so that it can be used for Caching so that it can store more actively used applications and programs.

Please let me know if this helps.

11 Posts

November 17th, 2012 08:00

I have upgraded my 8gig to 16 and have not had a problem.  I also have replaced my primary hdd with an M4 512 crucial SSD and see much improvement, I hope to install an mSATA 64gb crucial next week with the 1tb 5400 rpm running win8 to see if/how it works.  I got win8 pre-installed on this 3630qm I7(no 3D), but backed it to win7 because of the already installed software packs I had.  Win 8 looks like its not too bad, we'll see.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 16th, 2012 11:00

I have upgraded my 8gig to 16 and have not had a problem.  I also have replaced my primary hdd with an M4 512 crucial SSD and see much improvement, I hope to install an mSATA 64gb crucial next week with the 1tb 5400 rpm running win8 to see if/how it works.  I got win8 pre-installed on this 3630qm I7(no 3D), but backed it to win7 because of the already installed software packs I had.  Win 8 looks like its not too bad, we'll see.

TechnoME,

Can you tell us the result of adding 64GB mSATA SSD into your Inspiron 7720 SE? Was it successful or not?

11 Posts

December 16th, 2012 17:00

After I received it, installed it, installed software for it etc...  I was able to access it, write to it, and all BUT it was NOT able to speed up the system.

REARCH indicated that the software will NOT work if there is a backup/reinstall/factory default restore partition on the hard drive.  Since I moved the system to a 500 GB SATA SSD it was not needed and would have had no function anyway.  So I left it at that.  Not a lot of bang for the bucks.

TechnoMe

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 16th, 2012 19:00

That is informative, tank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2012 09:00

The system won't work with an mSATA drive over 32G and 8G of RAM if you intend to use the Intel caching software.  

If you didn't get the system with an mSATA drive, it won't have the connector for one - you'd need to order the daughterboard from Dell (the drive itself isn't proprietary).

If performance is your goal, get a standard 2.5" SSD to run the OS and use your 1T drive for storage.  You will need a carrier for the second drive (like the daughterboard, it's also proprietary).  If you don't want to spend that much, replace the hard drive with a Seagate Momentus hybrid drive (has a built in SSD  cache) and likewise use the existing hard drive for storage.

10 Posts

December 27th, 2012 09:00

hi im tom. i just got a Dell 17r 7720 SE for christmas. it has the 8gb ram & 1TB regular hard drive so not the one with the 32gb mSata hybrid drive. I am pretty into computers and im the type that love more power even though i dont need it. saying that ill be ordering 2x8gb ram 1600mhz to upgrade & hopefully work, but im also wanting to install some sort of second hdd or ssd but im thinking now that what i would like to do is upgrade & get a 1TB hybrid drive with a mSata 32gb ssd as the cache and primary drive and use my existing 1TB hdd as a secondary. my question is, how large of a mSata ssd can i buy i want the biggest i can get so how large do they come only upto 32gb or do they go upto something like 128gb ssd with the 1tb hdd part? ive seen the 32gb ssd option but havent seen bigger ones does anyone know where to look fpr larger that u could direct me in? pluz do i need any sort of additional bracket from dell to install the new drive or what?

10 Posts

December 27th, 2012 10:00

That os exactly what i want yo do is use intel software for cacheing. And yes i want to move my current 1TB hdd to make it the secondary drive & use for storage then get another 1TB hdd that is a hybrid so it has the 32gb ssd built into it for the Intel caching use to speed up my system, so in total ill have 2TB worth of hdd plus the 32gb ssd that is used as the cache and built into the new 1tb hybrid drive. Is there a certain hybrid drive i need to get or can it be any 1tb hybrid with 32gb ssd? Plus u say i need to buy the daughter board what is that, is that a new motherboard your sayong or are u saying a bracket? & could u either provide a link for the bracket or whatever i need or direct me in to the right place i need to be to get it? Thank you for your help. And i know ppl have upgraded ram to 16gb even though dell says the system will only handle 8gb ram, so im gonna take my chances and try out ghe 16gb upgrade but when i do, do i just need to look for any regular laptop ram thats 1600mhz or do i need a specific type? Are there any other options that are fairly inexpensove to do for upgrades? Is it possible to get a backlit keyboard from dell or a 3rd party company?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2012 11:00

Given all the upgrades you want, you probably should consider returning the system for replacement.

What you cannot do:

Use an mSATA SSD over 32G or over 8G of RAM if you want to use the caching scheme.  Yes, there are those who've added 16 G, but you can't do it with caching.

If you plan to keep the system,  replace the main hard drive with an SSD (a good 256G SSD is under $200 now), forget the caching (which pales in comparison to any native SSD), and if you want, upgrade to 16 G.  Use your 1T drive as storage, uncached.

You'll need to decide where you want to compromise, because you can't have caching, 16G or a larger mSATA drive together.

No Events found!