January 18th, 2010 19:00

Possible upgrades for Latitude D630

Processor, T7300, 2.0, 4MB, Core Merom, G0
Hard Drive, 80G, 7.2K Small Form Factor, Moraga Plus - SATA, Latched Address

Processor, T7300, 2.0, 4MB, Core Merom, G0
Hard Drive, 80G, 7.2K Small Form Factor, Moraga Plus - SATA, Latched Address
4 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 3 (32 bit)

I was hoping to upgrade it to get more out of it.

The possible things I have in ind are

1. Replace the Hard disk with SSD (32 or 60 GB). Is this possible. If yes which SSD should I get SATA II.

2. Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or professional 64 bit. Is this possible. The XP that I have is 32 bit and I read somewhere that Intel Core 2 Duo CPU's allow 64 bit operating system. Can I do this?

3. Upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB RAM (provided I am able to install 64 bit). Please suggest.

ALso I read somewhere that SSD's are not that reliable and that their lifespan is less that our good old HDD. Is that so.

Would really appreciate if someone can share their experiences with me.

Thanks
Ron

1 Message

July 25th, 2014 07:00

1) Yes this is possible.

2) Yes this is also possible. I'm currently running windows 8 64bit. however you might have to install the windows 7 drivers occasionally as they keep getting replaced by windows -_-

3) not sure on that one. I have 2 in mine and it runs great with the ssd because of the pagefile.

SSD can handle petabytes of info, so they are in fact more reliable than hdd's. I've had a 120 gb ssd for 6 months now with 5 TB written to it, and I leave/use my pc 24/7 so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you get a ssd with TRIM support (samsung 840 series are great!)

Hope that hepls.

1 Message

February 16th, 2011 07:00

I can suggest you an answer to questions 2 and 3.

It is possible for the Dell Latitude D630 laptop to run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and yes, its processor has 64-bit capabilities. I know that for a fact because I own one. I have installed Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and I frequently use the 64-bit version of Sony Vegas Professional.

For the third question, any amount of RAM above 2GB is great for a laptop. As many will say, the more the better. I have installed 4GB on my laptop and can say that I'm satisfied. SSDs are very reliable, considering the fact that the this particular laptop was created with StrikeZone technology so it can take a couple of hits to the bottom, and if you can get your hands on one, go for it. You will appreciate the added speed and the drop in time it takes for you to access your information.

With that said, I'm not too sure on your first question, not because I don't understand it, but because it is of personal preference. I prefer HDD over SSD because they are cheaper for more space. I can't do anything with a hard drive less than 250GB. But that is me. If you like speed, then you might want a SSD.

I hope thei helps anyone who reads this post.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 16th, 2011 08:00

1. Replace the Hard disk with SSD (32 or 60 GB). Is this possible. If yes which SSD should I get SATA II.

2. Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or professional 64 bit. Is this possible. The XP that I have is 32 bit and I read somewhere that Intel Core 2 Duo CPU's allow 64 bit operating system. Can I do this?

3. Upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB RAM (provided I am able to install 64 bit). Please suggest.

ALso I read somewhere that SSD's are not that reliable and that their lifespan is less that our good old HDD. Is that so.

32 is too small - even a 64G SSD will force a lot of compromise in what you can install 

You CAN use a 64-bit OS (note that these tend to be larger in footprint from a drive and memory standpoint).

The system maxes out at 4G.  8G is not supported.

In general, your last point is true - SSDs are less reliable than conventional hard drives.

15 Posts

April 27th, 2012 22:00

"The system maxes out at 4G.  8G is not supported."

You are VERY mistaken.  Some D630's max out at 4GB while some max out at 8GB, I know cause mine maxes out at 8. So don't assume that his maxes out at 4GB.

15 Posts

April 27th, 2012 22:00

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on mine and it runs like a champ.

1 Message

June 10th, 2012 10:00

hi, im looking to upgrade from 4gb of ram and want to know if im maxed out or not, how do i tell witch it supports?

15 Posts

June 10th, 2012 11:00

The maximum memory depends on which D630 you own. Download the system scanner here http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/. It'll tell you your current config. and also tells you how much ram your laptop can suppoort.

It will also tell you what type of ram your laptop supports (DDR2-PC2-5300S and DDR2 PC2-6400S). And gives you some options of ram to choose from.

If your laptop maxes out at 8GB, then the cost will be about 180 on crucial, or you can get it for about 125 new on eBay.

15 Posts

June 10th, 2012 12:00

Here is what the scanner says for my laptop...

Memory:

DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 8GB

Currently Installed Memory: 4GB

Total Memory Slots: 2

Available Memory Slots:  0

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

July 3rd, 2012 06:00

I recently installed a OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-90G 2.5" 90GB SATA III  SSD in my Latitude ATG D630 and upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and am very happy with the results. I have found the battery life is far superior and the boot times are amazing.  It's only been 3 months, so I can't comment on durability, but I wish I had done this a long time ago.

56 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 13:00

A few thoughts ...

1. I upgraded my D630 from XP to Win7 Pro 64bit with no problems.
  2. Installing any modern SSD should work fine.  I'm pretty sure that SATA 3 drives will work with SATA 2 controllers.
  3. I think that all D630's can handle 8gb of ram with the latest bios.

15 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 14:00

1. I think that all D630's can handle 8gb of ram with the latest bios.

No not all. Like I said in a previous post, it depends on your D630. Some can only handle 4, and others can handle 8. Here are the specs... <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> Notice where it says "Maximum memory". It states "4 GB/8 GB Maximum".

1 Message

September 13th, 2012 15:00

Ok I downloaded DC Universe Online On my D630 but it does not run well, it's extremely spotty and lags terribly when i play! I believe this is due to the video card not being sufficient enough for it so is there any way i can upgrade this to have the game move at normal speed! Its a mmorpg game! I would really like to keep my laptop but i got it just to play this game and i see no point on keeping it if i can use it for that reason! So any help will be extremely useful! Thank you!

15 Posts

September 13th, 2012 15:00

DC Universe online ran just fine on my old D630 but I can't test that out since I sold my D630 a long time ago and recently upgraded to a quad core Gateway laptop.

Anyway, you can't upgrade the video card on any D630's since it's an integrated video card. You can only upgrade the video cards in laptops that have dedicated video cards.

I'd suggest upgraded to a quad core laptop or a newer dual core laptop, one with over 256mb of video memory. 512mb of video memory should do, unless your playing high end games. Their very inexpensive on eBay. My quad core gateway NV55S09u only cost 289 on eBay.

1 Message

November 8th, 2012 17:00

I am trying to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 but I continue to receive an error message that says the drivers cannot be located. How do I fix this?

15 Posts

November 8th, 2012 19:00

That's weird. When I upgraded to Windows 7 all I did was connect to WiFi while I upgraded, then Windows 7 automatically found all the drivers.

If it doesn't find all the drivers then just do the upgrade then afterwards, manually search for all the Windows 7 drivers. If you can't find any Windows 7 driver then just download the Windows Vista drivers. You can substitute any Vista drivers for a Windows 7 driver since both operating systems are basically the same.

No Events found!