Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2017 14:00

Possibly bad "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" driver posted for XPS 15 9550

It would appear that the latest "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console" driver that was released on May 10th may be defective. What I can say for certain is that with the driver installed I will typically blue screen several times a day. If I roll back to the previously released driver, no more blue screens.

Details:

Problem driver: Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-and-Management_CRRKJ_WIN_15.2.15.1058_A07.EXE
Driver that works: Serial-ATA_Driver_02RN8_WN32_15.2.10.1044_A05.EXE

System affected: Dell XPS 15 9550 with the 1TB Samsung SSD, Service Tag # 235BG72. I have no way of knowing if other configurations may also be affected.

Note: So far the issue really seems like it is with this driver because I have never once been able to bluescreen it yet in my current configuration with the older driver installed. However, if I upgrade to the newer driver then I can pretty much guarantee several blue screens a day. Note too that my drive is bitlocker protected. No idea if this makes any difference, but thought that I would mention it.

Would it be possible for a Dell employee to pass this along to someone who can look into this?

- Hannes Sehestedt

13 Posts

May 28th, 2017 13:00

Okay, my analysis on this one may well have been wrong. There's been a few definite driver issues lately so I assumed that there was a problem when I started getting blue screens right after updating the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. It seems that this may possibly have been a coincidence. On one of my blue screens I finally got a "Memory_Mangaement" error code. Running the Windows Memory Diagnostic revealed that I definitely had faulty memory.

Memory has now been replaced and diags pass so we'll have to see if that really resolves all blue screens. I'll provide an update here in a few days, but for now I'm going to assume that the driver likely was NOT the problem.

13 Posts

May 28th, 2017 18:00

Ok, I'm now back to blue screens minus the reference to "memory_management" so I'm back to the theory tat the latest Intel Rapid Storage Device Driver may be problematic. I've gone back to the previous version to see of that finally resolves the issue.

1 Message

May 30th, 2017 17:00

the latest version of RST broke my 9550 during a fresh windows 10 install. Installation went perfectly until installing that driver. It took me 24 hours to stumble upon someone's instructions to load an old RST driver.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 15:00

Hi there, glad you got this fixed with a rollback, but was the driver provided from Dell directly or downloaded through Intel?

Best regards,

Brad

13 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 17:00

Brad, thanks for asking. The driver is the Dell provided driver. I can confirm for sure now that rolling back to the A05 driver resolves the problem with no blue screens in days. If I go to the A07 driver I can guarantee that I will have repeated blue screens.

It's just frustrating to me because Dell is putting out bad drivers on a regular basis and sometimes does nothing about it. For example, right now, the Bluetooth driver for the Dell 1830 module is bad - it will not even install. I have both called in and reported the problem here detailing the fact that the problem is a bad XML file in your distribution but nothing has been done about this even though I reported the problem way over half a year ago. It's a highly obvious problem and can be demonstrated easily 100% of the time but Dell does nothing. To make it worse, the previous version is no longer available as a download from Dell. Thankfully, I always keep previous drivers because this has happened frequently enough with Dell that I pretty much expect driver updates from Dell to fail now. However, If I were to purchase a new laptop from Dell and I was expecting to ever do a clean install, I know that I could not expect the drivers available from your web site to work. As a result, I can guarantee I'll not purchase another Dell until I know for sure that the ongoing lack of any quality control is resolved.

Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated, but I have a long sad history of poor support with this laptop including sending it in for service twice where they did NOTHING to resolve the actual issue. In fact, they completely ignored my carefully typed explanation of the troubleshooting performed with Dell Technical Support noting our conclusions.

On top of that I have a Thunderbolt Dock that Dell acknowledges has hardware problems and I cant even use it because of these issues and Dell does nothing to address that.

14 Posts

June 8th, 2017 03:00

I have a similar problem. After two months of several blue screens a day i installed Windows 10 64 bit from scratch on my XPS 15 9550 with the Microsoft ISO but nothing changed .. same situation with several DSOF every day.

Dell support told me I had to use the ISO downloaded from Dell web site then I started again from scratch reinstalling everything (more than one day of work). For few days everything was fine till yesterday when Windows update installed "Windows 10 creator update" and after "Dell update" application suggested me to install 3 missing drivers included "Intel rapid storage technology". Today I had a blue screen again after one week of normal work .

13 Posts

June 8th, 2017 10:00

biwareit - Did you go back to the A05 release of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver? If you go to the download page you will find that the previous version is also available. That previous version is working fine for me. About a week solid now with no blue screens for me on that driver.

4 Posts

June 11th, 2017 08:00

I have a 9550 XPS laptop with a 1TB SSD drive, and I installed a couple drivers (including the RST) and a BIOS update on May 26th. Then once a day for five days I would randomly come back to find it in the "Windows didn't load correctly" blue screen. This was only happening when it was idle and the Event Viewer log only told me that the system hadn't been properly shut down before rebooting (duh) so I was frustrated! It restarted just fine each time. I considered using a restore point, but when I looked at my options the last one was created on the 29th, after this started happening.

Finally on the fifth day I found advice to disable the "Turn off hard disk" options in the Power management. This DID help, and for 3 days no blue screen! But after a long period of idle, it happened again. I didn't know what was causing it so I kept researching... and 4 days later it happened again. I checked my battery settings, and was considering replacing the power supply when it happened again yesterday. While googling c-states and the RST driver I found this thread, so maybe I have my answer!

I downloaded the A05 release of the RST and installed it and rebooted, and I will report back on if more blue screens appear.

4 Posts

June 11th, 2017 08:00

Oh, and I did finally get a clue and turn off the automatic restart option, so if it does happen again I may find out why. *roll eyes*

4 Posts

July 19th, 2017 20:00

After over a month without a blue screen, I can now assert that rolling back the Intel RST driver has fixed the problem! The A05 release has been working fine in my DELL XPS 9550 laptop with 1TB SSD drive. Thank goodness!!

No Events found!