Highlighted
Dave957
1 Copper

Post Windows 7 reinstall, battery will not recharge. Worked fine before reinstall

Jump to solution

Since reloading Windows 7 on my Inspiron 1012 the battery will not charge anymore with the computer turned on. When the computer is turned off it charges no problems at all. With the computer running under battery power, when I plug in the external power you get the power icon next to the battery for about 1 second then it disappears. If I remove the battery and start the laptop with external power it works fine, as soon as you reconnect the battery it changes over to battery power that is not getting charged.

I recently reloaded Windows 7 as the laptop was starting to run slow after 3 years of good use. It reloaded with no issues and all the required updates were installed. It was only after this install has the charging issue started, so I can deduce that it's a software issue not a Battery / hardware issue.

I have looked over previous forum entries and carried out any suggestions but with no success. Any ideas???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave957
1 Copper

RE: Post Windows 7 reinstall, battery will not recharge. Worked fine before reinstall

Jump to solution

I changed the power setting to "Energy Saver" and all is now working fine. The charger must be working on it's limit.

Thanks for your help.

4 Replies
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

RE: Post Windows 7 reinstall, battery will not recharge. Worked fine before reinstall

Jump to solution

I don't think this is related to reinstalling the OS.

I suspect your charger is not delivering enough power to both charge the battery and run the laptop. This is not an un-common problem. See if you can borrow another similar (preferably large capacity) charger to check with. If not, buy another charger from Dell, not an aftermarket unit. I would get one with the next higher power level; a 90 watt to replace a 60 watt. I have seen problems where a NEW laptop would not run and charge with the normal charger, and needed the next larger size. You should also download BattStat and monitor the power flow.

It doesn't take too much to drop the power level and not be able to run and charge at the same time.. I have several tablets that charge fine using a standard 3 foot USB charging cable. Switching to a 6 foot cable results in the same situation - runs fine but will charge at a VERY slow rate when the tablet is on. Solution was using a USB cable which has two wire gauge thicker power wires. 

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Dave957
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Kirk,

Thanks for the reply. I can see where you thinking from about the supply but how come it only started after reinstalling Win 7, it worked fine before this?? I'll try getting hold of another PSU and give it a go.

0 Kudos
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

It could be a coincidence or the re-installation is configured to use more power, such as the CPU speed being locked at the highest speed, needing more power.  The symptoms indicate insufficient power.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Dave957
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I changed the power setting to "Energy Saver" and all is now working fine. The charger must be working on it's limit.

Thanks for your help.