Highlighted
HalfPint10
1 Copper

Power Adapter Error Message on 5000 Series

My laptop is only 7 months old.  I am getting an error message that says"Alert!  The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.  The battery may not charge.  The system will adjust the performance to match the port adapter."  There is a Note that this can be disabled in the BIOS setup, which I went into and saw no such thing.  Also, at the bottom you can Continue, Enter BIOS Setup or Diagnose.  If I do Continue or BIOS Setup, it won't boot into Windows.  If I run the Diagnose, it takes 6 hours and then will boot into Windows.  I don't dare turn the computer off and have to run another 6 hour diagnostics, which comes up with nothing is wrong.  My computer is much more sluggish and the mouse very sluggish since this happened.  I've read other things about this on older computers, but this computer is virtually new.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
9 Rhodium

RE: Power Adapter Error Message on 5000 Series

Call Dell - they'll send a new adapter first.  If that doesn't solve the problem, they'll replace the DC jack or the mainboard -- all under warranty.

0 Kudos