Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2012 21:00

Power Charging Issue

I have a Studio 1749 Laptop. I've had it for almost two years and it is running Windows 7. For over two months, in order to charge my laptop I have needed to have the AC Adapter pulled down towards me in the socket. This was the only way for it to charge. For under a month, every now and then if my adapter had disconnected and then reconnected a message would come up saying that my AC Adapter wasn't recognized and to insert a compatible 90V adapter. My computer would still charge, and it can hold a charge when unplugged.

For a couple weeks now, my laptop sometimes does not charge at all when powered on. No matter which way I hold the AC Adapter, it still does not charge. On the other hand, when my laptop is shut down, it will charge if I have the adapter pulled down as I needed to before. 

To try solve this problem, I purchased a new power cable, but I still encounter the same problem: I need to hold it down in the socket for it to charge my computer. Is there any way I can replace the power jack? How do I solve my problem?

934 Posts

September 16th, 2012 10:00

support.euro.dell.com/.../index.htm

support.euro.dell.com/.../acadpter.htm

www.parts-people.com/index.php

==================

the power jack without cable (needs soldering) can be bought for less than $7 on Ebay

2.6K Posts

September 15th, 2012 22:00

Hi joyt2,

This could be a problem with the motherboard of the computer as even if you try to replace the AC Adapter cables the problem persists. Replacing the motherboard and the DC-IN cable in the computer will fix the problem.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. 
To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

Please reply for further help.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2012 09:00

Nikhil: I do not have an active warranty on my computer. I sent you a message.

No Events found!