Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2012 06:00

Power adapter error message on XPS laptop. Says I need to use a 130W adapter instead of the 90W that was shipped

I have a Dell XPS laptop. I have had it for about 2 years and had no problems until about 3 weeks ago. I now receive mssages telling me that I need to connect to a 130W AC adapter instead of the 90W that I was shipped with the computer. The message also says that I need to connect with the 130 W adapter that was originally shipped with the computer (but the 90W was shipped). It seems to be causing problems and is slowing things down. Has anyone had this problem and does it mean I have to buy a new adapter or do I ned to take the computer in for repairs? Thanks

1.1K Posts

December 13th, 2012 06:00

Hi AM Rising,

Please share the system model as I may be able to provide more steps to resolve this ussye. Meantime, I will recommend you to update the BIOS:

Note: Please save any unsaved data as your system will restart automatically after updating the BIOS. Disconnect all the external peripherals like printer, camera, scanner, external hard drive, flash drive etc. Also, the battery should be charged 10% or above.

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Enter the Service Tag and select the operating system.
  • Go to BIOS and click on the latest BIOS version.
  • Click on 'Download Now'.
  • Select 'Single-file Download' and click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Run' and follow the on screen instructions.

In case the issue persists, connect an alternate Ac Adapter with your system and see if that makes a difference.

Keep me updated. I will be glad to assist you further.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2012 07:00

Hi Vikram, the model is a L502X. Thanks!

3.1K Posts

December 17th, 2012 04:00

Hi AM Rising,

I am replying on behalf of DELL-Vikram M. Did you update the BIOS of the computer? I would recommend you to try the steps mentioned below.

*Hover the mouse on the battery icon on the taskbar, check the message that shows up (plugged in, charging / plugged in, not charging)
*Check the AC Adapter in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / 90W / 130W'.

To access BIOS: 

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on the dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS. Check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status

*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’

Please reply with the findings.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2014 13:00

Hi there i am having same problem and when i try to upgrade the BIOS it is showing as Battery should be 10% or more but my battery is not charging and 0% is there is any way to skip this?

1 Message

April 19th, 2014 00:00

XPS L702X

I lost my 130W charger. I have a 90W of the correct amperage that plugs in and allows me to work with mains power. The laws of physics says this should merely charge the battery more slowly. The charger is "not recognized". I have an old BIOS A13 that shows none of the relevant options. I downloaded A19 and it will not install unless I have 10% battery, even when I am plugged into continuous mains power. I have 2% power in the battery and the mains power is there to charge it. Now what?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 19th, 2014 04:00

First thing to try is another Dell OEM adapter - if that is also unrecognized, you have a problem with the DC jack or mainboard.  If another adapter does work, your 90W adapter is faulty.

No Events found!