Highlighted
DaveXS
1 Copper

Power adapter turns itself off when unplugged from the laptop

I have an XPS13 that I wanted to get a spare power adapter for.  I purchased a used genuine Dell JT9DM on eBay.  Same model number as the original adapter.  If I plug the new adapter into the laptop and into the wall it charges the laptop.  If I remove the power connector from the laptop the green light on the power adapter goes out and will not turn back on unless you unplug it from the wall and then plug it back in.  The power adapter that came with the laptop does not do this, the green light stays on regardless of being connected to the laptop.

I figured the adapter I got on eBay was defective and purchased another.  It does the exact same thing.  So while I can charge the laptop battery with the two adapters, I have to unplug them from the wall every time I connect the adapter back into the laptop.  Is there some way to re-program the adapter to stay on all the time?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Power adapter turns itself off when unplugged from the laptop

Hi DAVEXS,

What is the exact system model? Have you purchased the adapter as designed for your region? 

There are certain adapters that are designed specifically based on the region / country.

Kindly advise the exact system model and country you reside in and a picture of the adapter pins, so we could review them.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
DaveXS
1 Copper

I'm in the US.

The problem is in the charger.  The original charger I  got with the laptop stays on whether or not it is plugged into the laptop.  If it is plugged into the wall the green light comes on and stays on.  At any time I can plug it into the laptop and it will begin charging.

The other two chargers behave differently.  If you plug them into the wall when they are not plugged into the laptop the green light comes on and then goes off.  If you plug them into the laptop, they do not come back on, you must unplug them from the wall and then plug them back into the wall while they are plugged into the laptop.  As I said, if they are not plugged into the laptop when powered up they turn themselves off.

This picture is of the original charger that works and one of the others that does not work correctly.  I don't see any difference.

0 Kudos

Hi DAVEXS,

Thank you for the response.

Kindly advise where have you purchased the adapters from - both via eBay? And the exact system model in concern.

Based on this, I shall research further and keep you posted.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos