Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2014 03:00

Power button causes wake up from sleep without being pressed?

My XPS 14 (L421X) has woken up several times from sleep for no reason since i bought it and this night it woke up in my bag so it was very warm when I noticed it this morning, risk of fire here!!! I checked the event viewer >> windows logs >> system and sorted after "Power - troubleshooter". It shows that "The system has returned from a low power state." 3 times during the night and the power button is listed as the wake source! The lid has been closed so there is no way that anything could have magically pressed the button. 

Did anyone else notice this behaviour? As I see it, this is a very dangerous problem due to the risk of fire.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 10th, 2014 03:00

Hi mmarks1,

I would suggest you to reinstall the Video card driver on the system to fix the issue with the sleep mode.

Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2014 09:00

Hi, unfortunately this did not help. The driver on your site was not the latest, I installed it, restarted and put the computer to sleep mode and closed the lid. A few hours later it had been woken up two times by the power button. I then updated the driver to the latest version and did the same thing over night and it is still woken up by the power button.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 14th, 2014 10:00

Hi mmarks1

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

6 Posts

May 17th, 2014 02:00

Hi!

The BIOS was already at the latest version (A16) and the system didn't continue with the update, the video driver is up to date.

The problem has not been solved :-(

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 19th, 2014 11:00

Hi mmarks1,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.

2.  In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

3.  Select the graphics card device and right click on it

4. Now select properties.

5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.

6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

7.  You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then Nvidia card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

6 Posts

May 21st, 2014 00:00

Ok so I uninstalled the HD Graphics 4000 driver and then the GeForce GT 630M driver. The system fell back on some default generic driver. But when I tried to reinstall the first driver from your site it didn't work, only stating that my system didn't meet the minimum requirements, I'm using the "My Dell" program and "Dell system detect" so I'm sure I didn't use the wrong service tag. By choosing "Update driver software" on the generic driver the system reinstalled the HD Graphics 4000 driver to the system, after that I downloaded the GeForce GT 630M driver from your site and installed it without problems.

But alas, the computer still lists the power button as wake up source if I leave it long enough.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 24th, 2014 09:00

Hi mmarks1,

Sorry for the delayed response. I would suggest you to restore the system to factor state and check for issue resolution. Restoring the system to factory state will erase all your personal data. Please follow the steps mentioned below for performing the pc restore on a Windows 7 computer.

1. Back up all the data from the computer before proceeding to next steps.
  2. Unplug all the devices including your printer, camera and memory stick.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Press the "F8" key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell logo. Do not stop until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen.
  5. Press the down arrow and choose "Repair your computer." Hit "Enter."
  6. Select the keyboard layout "US" from the drop-down menu and click "OK."
  7. Log into your account as an administrator. Type in your password. Click "OK."
  8. Click "Dell Factory Image Restore" at the bottom of the options.
  9. Click "Next" in the window that opens.
  10. Click to check the box next to "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition" to confirm and click "Next." This will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete. Click "Finish" when the process is complete to restart your computer.

1 Message

June 12th, 2014 07:00

Hi - I've been having this issue for sometime now.

mmarks1 - did you ever get a resolution.  The last thing I want to do is factory reset!  There has to be another fix.

Thanks,

6 Posts

June 12th, 2014 23:00

Hi, sorry for the even longer delay ;-)

During the lifespan of this computer I have done a factory reset 2 times, a clean install 2 times (win7 pro and win8.1 pro) and an "normal" install of win 8 pro (keeping all settings, files etc). None of these actions have solved the problem so unfortunately, since it gives me quite much work to do, I hope you understand that I will not try another factory reset.

At the moment the computer is running win 8.1 pro.

No Events found!