Laptops General - Read Only

3 Argentum

Power supply compatibility - Precision M6600 -> Insipiron 7567

My old Precision M6600 gave up the ghost not so long ago, so I replaced it with an Inspiron 7567. The M6600 PSU is much beefier than the Inspiron's - it provides 240 watts as opposed to the Inspiron's 130 watts, but the old PSU's plug looks like it'll fit in the Inspiron. Is it safe to plug the much more powerful M6600 PSU into the Inspiron 7567? I'm just looking to salvage what I can from the M6600, and use the PSU as a spare.

============================
Precision T5500, Inspiron Gaming Desktop 5675, Inspiron Gaming Laptop 7567
Replies (4)
10 Diamond

If the plug fits, it'll work fine - the system will draw only as much power as it needs, so the added capacity will not harm the system.

7 Thorium

^ Correct. Dell only has two AC adapter barrel sizes (7.4mm which has been around for a while, and 5mm as seen on slimmer laptops like the XPS 13/15), so it’ll either fit or it very clearly won’t. I’ve used 130W adapters for years on systems that only require 35-60W adapters without issues. In fact Dell’s E-Docks normally ship with 130W adapters, and it’s just fine and supported to attach lower-power laptops to those docks.

7 Thorium

By the way, Dell makes a dongle to connect 7.4mm AC adapters to systems that have 5mm sockets. It’s Manufacturer Part 57J49, Dell Part 331-9319. I have a couple in order to keep AC adapters from older now-dead systems usable on newer systems that have the smaller connector. They do not make a dongle that goes the other way.

7 Gold

By the way, Dell makes a dongle to connect 7.4mm AC adapters to systems that have 5mm sockets. It’s Manufacturer Part 57J49, Dell Part 331-9319. I have a couple in order to keep AC adapters from older now-dead systems usable on newer systems that have the smaller connector. They do not make a dongle that goes the other way.

That's good to know because I am pretty sure I have the 7.4 mm AC adapters.
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions