Highlighted
DufekMC
1 Nickel

Precision 5510 (Realtek Audio) - Windows 10 - Mouse & Keyboard Stutter

Common problem reported on the internet, when using an external mouse and/or keyboard on my Precision 5510 which uses Realtek Audio and USB drivers, the mouse stutters and the keyboard also stutters in that if I am typing when the issue occurs, the keyboard thinks my last key is still depressed and it looks like "thissssssssssssssss"

This happens every 5 to 20 seconds, and makes the device simply unusable. The problem occurs in all of these scenarios:

• Blue Tooth Mouse
  • USB wireless mouse/keyboard connected to the laptop's USB port or to a Dell docking station
  • Occurs with both the thunderbolt Dell docking station, and the USB3 model (I use both, one at work, one at home office)
  • Occurs with a wired mouse as well

Laptop is pretty much out of the box, all updated with Dell's recommended software upgrades and patches. Problem got exponentially worse after upgrading to latest bios on 8/1/17.

Searching tech forums suggests a conflict with the Realtek drivers. I was able to temporarily resolve the issue by uninstalling the Realtek USB and Audio drivers, but then my sound does not behave correctly - system won't recognize my headphone jack nor my external speakers connected to either docking station. After a couple of reboots, Windows re-installs the driver again and the issue returns.

Please help, willing to send any diagnostics necessary. The device is effectively useless in this condition unless I use the on-board keyboard and mouse which defeats the purpose of my docking station and external monitors.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

RE: Precision 5510 (Realtek Audio) - Windows 10 - Mouse & Keyboard Stutter

DufekMC,

If the bios update did not work you will need to replace the docking station. Are you using 
•Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB15) •Dell Docking Station (WD15?

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
DufekMC
1 Nickel

If the bios update did not work you will need to replace the docking station. Are you using 

Hi Jesse - I actually use a TB16 (Dell Thunderbolt Dock-TB16 180W adapter) at work and WD15 at home. When I updated the bios the issue only occurred on the TB16; the WD15 worked fine and did not have mouse/keyboard stuttering. Does the TB16 need to be replaced, and if so, how do I go about replacing it? I ordered it directly from Dell in May '2017. Frankly, it has a few other oddities, every time I connect to it, my external speakers pop, and it takes about 15 seconds from connecting the laptop for the external devices to come online (speakers, keyboard, mouse). I'll sit on the Windows log-in screen for that amount of time waiting, then all of a sudden the speakers pop and the other external devices connect and start working. The WD15 performs far better than this TB16, but doesn't support 3 monitors (though I'm only using 2 at this time).

Thank you.

0 Kudos

DufekMC,

Reinstall the chipset drivers in the system, reboot and then install the mouse and keyboard drivers. Also, update the system bios. Install all the drivers for the TB 16 dock from the link below.

How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16)

Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 Driver Installation Guide

TB16 Drivers

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
DufekMC
1 Nickel

Hi Jesse,

I've done as you directed, in the order you prescribed as well as following the TB16 installation guide. The "stuttering" mouse and keyboard issue is now resolved, but unfortunately now a different problem has showed up and I attribute it completely to either the Realtek audio drivers, the TB16, or the bios upgrade released in August. Starting the day I upgraded the Bios - which I in turn started uninstalling/reinstalling all of these drivers and the TB controller - Windows 10 now locks up in an unpredictable fashion. I have not installed anything else on the computer, other than Dell drivers/bios, and Windows 10 security patches, of which there have only been 2 in the last month (the issue presented itself before any Windows updates were applied).

Here are the symptoms, and if I need to start a new thread I'd be happy to do so, but I'm afraid this is a driver issue related directly to this thunderbolt dock which everyone seems to have problems with or the bios upgrade:

-Computer loads and operates as normal for a period of time -  hour, perhaps day.

-While using the laptop, any program I have open works normally, however the Task Bar stops responding. I can't open any other programs, either via quick links, short-cut keys, or from the start menu. I can open the start menu, but I can't launch anything from it.

-If I attempt to close any of the open programs, nothing happens. If I minimize any open program, Windows crashes - I don't get a BSOD or anything like that, the desktop goes completely black. I can't turn off the laptop unless I do a hard shut down. If I let it go to sleep (close the lid, or press the power button the dock or laptop), then when I wake the laptop, the log-in screen is black, computer is non-responsive.

Please help, I'm ready to throw this nearly brand new 5510 and TB16 in the trash it has me so frustrated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DufekMC
1 Nickel

DufekMC,

Jesse - How do I go about replacing the TB16? Also, is there any problem with using the TB16 & WD15? Any conflicting drivers, etc?

0 Kudos