Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2016 17:00

Precision 5510 - Screen very bright at lowest setting

The lowest setting for precision 5510 is not low enough. When the room is dark the display looks so bright. How can the display brightness be lowered to zero. In the MacBook Air I have the lowest is zero. The lowest display brightness should be zero on this laptop. 

5 Posts

November 14th, 2016 10:00

I am using Windows 7. I was not able to see this option when I searched. Do you have instructions for WIn7?

9.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 10:00

Since your post doesn't say which OS you are running.  Here's some information for Windows 10:  

Windows can adjust the brightness of the display based on how much light is reaching the system's ambient light sensor. This feature is referred to as 'adaptive brightness' and it can be disabled in Windows.
•For Windows 10 1.In the Search box, type Settings.
2.Touch or click Settings (Modern application).
3.Touch or click System.
4.On the Display screen find the Adjust my screen brightness automatically option.
5.Touch or click the slider to toggle the option on or off.
6.Touch or click Apply.
7.Close the System window.

For Windows 8(8.1)
If you are using the Windows Modern User Interface (MUI): 1.Swipe from the right and touch Settings.
2.Touch Change PC Settings.
3.On the PC Settings screen, touch PC and Devices.
4.Touch Power and Sleep.
5.At the top of the screen will be a toggle for Brightness. Slide the toggle to the Off position to disable adaptive brightness.

9.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 03:00

I'm not finding the information for Windows 7 either, however, here is a program some users have reported successful.  You could give it a try.

http://dell.to/2fSg9Uz

5 Posts

November 15th, 2016 14:00

Thanks. I will use it to see how effective it would be.

Do you think it makes sense for DELL to change the SBIOS or FW to make sure the lowest is zero for the brightness of the display? I am not sure why the floor is not zero!

9.4K Posts

November 16th, 2016 03:00

Perhaps it would.  I'll be sure to mention it at our next team meeting.  Thanks.

No Events found!