Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2016 08:00

Precision 5510 and Solidworks dispaly issue

I have a new precision 5510 that I ordered with Windows 7.  When it arrived, I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 immediately, before installing any programs.  After the upgrade, I installed Solidworks 2015 SP5.0.

Everything seems to be working great.  However, when I click in the Solidworks modeling window, i get this weird inset window, a smaller version of my modeling window, that briefly pops up and disappears as soon as I pan or zoon in/out.   See the image below for what I am talking about.

I upgrade the video card driver to the latest, SW certified offering.  After the install, the issue was resolved.  But came back after I restarted the machine.  I have the i5 processor and the Nvidia M100M video card if that helps.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?  It's really annoying.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2016 17:00

I`d say revert back to WIN 7 if you can and see if that gets rid of the issue altogether.

some things don`t yet play nice with windows 10. 

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 05:00

I think this is a pretty fundamental issue with the combination of the Nvidia M1000M card, Solidworks and Windows 10.  Solidworks has certified the card and approved W10 for compatitbility.  I do not think either of these things would have happened if my issue showed up in testing.  My issue is immediately noticeable.

It would be a major PITA to downgrade back to W7 now that I have the machine optimized for working in W10.

I'm curious if anyone else has this issue with this combinations of HW and SW.  If so, then we could conclude some sort of compatibility issue with Solidworks, W10 and the graphics card.

1 Message

October 24th, 2016 11:00

Did you get this resolved, I am having a similar issue with a brand new 5510 running Windows 10 and Solidworks 2014. Solidworks seems to work fine on the laptop display, but on the monitors connected to the dock it does the inset window on mouse clicks. Any help would be appreciated.

11 Posts

October 24th, 2016 15:00

I have not "fixed" it, but do have a work around.  If I keep my laptop open next to my external monitor, and set the screen to duplicate (not extend or external only), then the issue goes away.  I should mention the monitor is hooked up to a USB 3.0 hub, but I have the issue with direct to HDMI connection as well.  If I close my laptop, the laptop screen shuts off and my external monitor shows the desktop and I get the inset window issue in SW.  

A very curious thing in the Windows display setting is that the display adapter being used for the external monitor is listed as the Intel integrated graphics, NOT my Nvidia M1000M.  I haven't had a chance to play around with settings to try and fix this.  But it seems like closing the lid on my laptop with an external monitor hooked up is telling the laptop to only use the inegrated graphics.  This happens whether I connect the monitor to HDMI directly or through my hub.

I've tried updating to the latest drivers and BIOS and still have issues.  I'm surprised the latest display driver wouldn't have fixed it.

1 Message

November 16th, 2016 17:00

Has anyone had a luck finding a solution to this problem?  I'm having the same issue with a new Precision 5510 running SolidWorks 2016 SP5.0.

11 Posts

November 17th, 2016 07:00

No one seems to have found a solution yet.  The only work around is keeping your laptop open.  The more people who post about it the more likely we'll get an actual solution from SW or NVidia.

11 Posts

December 19th, 2016 11:00

I FOUND AN ANSWER!  Below is a link to a thread on the SW forums where a Lenovo P50 user had the same issue.  This solution fixed my Dell Precision 5510 and my colleagues Lenovo P50.

forum.solidworks.com/.../182303

No Events found!