kangaroo2002
1 Nickel

RE: Precision 5510 crashing problems

Thanks for your message!  I can see that my first two attempts at installing the Samsung NVMe driver failed because under both "Storage Controllers" and "Disk Drives", there was no Samsung driver.  I installed it again today, and this time, after a reboot, I see the same thing as you do.  I only have the NVMe device, and not the 850EVO as well, but as it happens, I have the parts on order to install an 850 that is sitting on my desk (didn't realize that the machine wouldn't come with the parts to allow the install ..grr..).   I have checked and my Intel AC8260 driver is the same driver version as you.  I have removed the upgraded Nvidia driver and rebooted, and am now back to the stock Win10 driver.  If this works for me, as I suspect it does, then there are likely issues with the NVMe driver under Linux, causing the hangs there, but that's a different story.  As long as the machine is stable under one O/S for at least a few days, then I know that problems under the other O/S are unlikely related to hardware, but more than likely a driver issue.   

0 Kudos
EliosCarbon
1 Copper

Today already 4 BSOD on my 5510 (Xeon, M2 1TB, 16GB), and it's only early afternoon...
I do not use Outlook or Explorer: the system crashes even if there is no program running.
I am very disappointed with Dell and I would not recommend this machine to anyone!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kangaroo2002
1 Nickel

Replace the Samsung NVMe driver as above.  I too have not experienced a crash since I did it on Monday..

0 Kudos
Royaltyb
1 Copper

Andrew, did you ever find out what part they replaced.  I'm sure a ticket was created and there would have had to be a worklog specifying what part was replaced.  I'm having the exact same issue as you and everyone else in this thread.  Thanks for your reply.

Brian

0 Kudos
andrew.cocke
1 Copper

Apologies for not following up sooner.  After multiple support techs, I finally shipped the computer to dell where they did some diagnostics and reinstalled the OS (Windows 7).  Dell mentioned in the invoice, "replaced system hardware" which is vague enough that is could be anything.  Totally unhelpful and given our track record with these machines,   Our first mistake probably was purchasing a brand new model.  Maybe there were production problems, sourcing problems, maybe the machines hadn't been tested enough.  Whatever the case, I would hope that Dell eventually irons out these bugs, but until I understand what the bugs were, I we will not be ordering any more until we have a better understanding about what kept failing.

I think our second mistake was using our corporate image instead of Dell's.  When Dell replaced the aforementioned "system hardware" and reimaged the machine, it worked fine.  Even after upgrading to Windows 10.  It's a great computer, but every little glitch, the occasional blue screen keeps me wondering.  That being said, its very fast and mostly reliable.  I test a lot of software and I need a computer that is a known quantity so that I can be reasonably assured that any bug I'm encountering is not caused by my computer.

0 Kudos
Ron1943
1 Nickel

I am having the same problem with my Precision 5510

here is the e-mail I sent Dell this morning

1-      I received the computer on about April 7, 2016 and downloaded and installed all the purchased software that came with the computer – Office and Adobe

2-      I installed all the necessary software for our Genealogy and Photos

3-      I installed the Epson Wireless Printer WF-3540.

4-      When I tried to start Word it could not start.

5-      I called the 800 number for Dell and they said my Service Tag was not in their records yet.

6-      I did my own trouble shooting and discovered that by uninstalling the FAX program everything worked just fine.

7-      The computer crashed for the first time, the next day, and went into some kind of self-repair mode. It took about four or five minutes to come back on and everything seemed to work just fine. I did not call Dell as they did not have a record of my computer yet.

8-      I put the computer aside as I had purchased it to do Genealogy research at a family reunion in Denver Co in June 10-13

9-      We used our Inspiron 1721 for all our needs to prepare for Colorado saving the Precision for that trip.

10-   I loaded the Genealogy database into the Precision on about June 5 and headed to Colorado

11-   On June 11 I was using the Precision and it went into another crash and when I restarted it it went into the “repair” mode again and worked for the next three days.

12-   Upon returning to home at the end of our vacation I started having crashes and this time it would not go into repair mode and just froze so I called Dell for support. This time of course they had my Tag number and we started trying to repair this computer. For the next three days.

13-   After several attempts Dell sent me a replacement hard drive and I replaced it. I was instructed to NOT do updates as one of the Dell support personal told me that there was a problem with the “chip” sets and the solid state drives when the updates were installed.

14-   I followed instruction and the crashes resumed.

15-   You have my original hard drive with the event log so I cannot attach that record.

16-   I have been a loyal Dell Customer for many years. I am on my second XPS desktop and in 2007/8 I purchased three Dell Inspiron1721’s one for me and one each for my daughters. I have had very few problems with any of these systems. All the software installed on the New Precision 5510 is on the other five computers and they all worked just fine.

I am asking for reimbursement for my purchase or a replacement computer (with a regular hard drive) of similar value.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rangercha
1 Copper

Did you try putting the Samsung NVMe driver on there? Mine has been working fine since whenever I posted the other message, no blue screens in several months.

I purchased a second 5510 in mid-May. That one came pre-loaded with windows 10 and has never had any issues. I'm guessing that Dell worked the driver issue since then. I wouldn't replace any hardware. I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue.

0 Kudos
josecostauk
1 Copper

I have the same issue but could not find the driver for my NVMe PM951 NVMe Samsung 953gb. I would be very grateful if you could you please send me the link or explain how I could do this. I am also suffering with the BSODs. Thanks.

0 Kudos
andrew.cocke
1 Copper

Are you using the Dell image?  When we loaded the Dell OEM OS, all the driver problems were fixed.

0 Kudos
josecostauk
1 Copper

I haven't got an image. I reinstalled fresh copy of Windows 10 pro without making an image. My mistake. Is the Ms windows 10 image to download in Dell's download page the one you mention? That's an older version of Windows, reason why I reinstalling from fresh trying to resolve BSOD. It would be great of I could just have the driver for the HDD. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos