This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2016 17:00

Precision 5510

Hi,

I just bought the Precision 5510 and connected a external screen using hdmi

The screen is also from dell u2713hm. resolution 2560*1440

My problem is when i connect the external screen, image is ok on the external screen but you cannot work on the local screen because is constantly flickering.(resolution is put 2048 * 1152 local screen)

Any help?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 9th, 2016 15:00

Do you notice the screen flickering at any other time other than having the external monitor attached, have you noticed the problem with the integrated LCD panel alone?

Does it make a difference if you have the AC adapter plugged into the notebook? Windows power plan set to High Performance (win and x key pressed together, power options, power plans, advanced and high performance)?

If you haven't already try updating the system bios, and video drivers. 

BIOS rev A06

Intel HD 530 

Nvidia GTX 960M

Please let me know if the problem continues. 

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 9th, 2016 16:00

Hi Henri,

So you are able to have both displays set to 1920x1080 with no issues, but the problem is that there is no video at 2560x1440, is this correct?

If you haven't tried it yet make sure that the AC adapter is plugged into the notebook, and the adapter to Dell Docks are connected as well. 

For more information on the WD15 please look here

TB

15 Posts

June 9th, 2016 15:00

Hi Terry

An update of the drive did the job.

Now I have an other issue.

I have two “452-BCCW Dell Dock with 180W AC adapter – EU”

I have also two Dell U 2713HM Screens

In both case are connected thru the Hdmi

The setting of the monitors are 2560 * 1440 29p hz

At the office seems to work.

At home my screen says that there is no signal on the hdmi connector.

Initially when the resolution was 1920 * 1080 i had an image on the monitor.

After I change the frequentie i got the message of no signa land nothing is display on the screen (no signal).

I would like to reset the profile but I do not know were these are kept.

I try also of the mini display port I get something on the screen but actually i get some conflict and the screen is blur

Regds

Henri

15 Posts

June 10th, 2016 17:00

Hi

Scenario to replicate the problem.

I have

1. 452-bccw dell dock with 180w ac adapter

2. Mobile Precision 5510

3. Dell u2713hm displayport no signal (2560*1440 29p hz)

Connections

1. I Connect the Screen using the 452 box. And hdmi, I see the screen going on for +/- 30 sec (scale etc. are ok) then prompt I get the message no signal and nothing is displayed on the screen. (resolution 2560*1440 and 2048 * 1152)

2. I connect the screen directly with the laptop with the hdmi everything works.

3. The I reconnect the screen thru the 452 bccw and now the displays stay on.

4. I have the same configuration at my office the only thing is i move my laptop and there  is no problem and everything works fine.

Is this something I can solve ?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 16th, 2016 13:00

Sorry for the delay in my response, 

You mentioned in a previous post that your set up works fine in the office but not at home, do you have the exact equipment at the office as you do at home?  Have you tried the set up in more than one location just to make sure that the problem is not an environmental issue?

The bit about the set up working at the office seems pretty important to me,  I mentioned this previously in the post, but try the setup in a different location in your house if you haven't already and see if it makes a difference.

Reading your post am I correct in understanding that if you connect the display directly to the notebook, and power the notebook and external display it works fine,  Then reconnect the screen to the docking station and it starts to working all of a sudden when it didn't before connecting directly to the notebook? It may be that the video output is disabled. 

1. If your monitor is connected to the docking station, the video output on your notebook computer may be disabled. You can enable the video output using Intel Graphics Control Panel or refer to your notebook computers User Guide.

This is from the larger list of instructions from the document that i previously mentioned. 

This is from the guild that I mentioned earlier, but it gives some specific steps that may help. 

No video on the monitors attached to HDMI, miniDP (DisplayPort) port or DisplayPort port on the docking station.

1. Ensure that the latest drivers for the docking station is installed on your notebook computer.
  2. Make sure the notebook computer is connected to the docking station securely. Try to disconnect and reconnect the docking station to the notebook computer.
  3. Make sure the video cable (HDMI, miniDP or DisplayPort) is connected properly to the monitor and the docking station. Ensure to select the correct video source on your monitor (refer to your monitors documentation for more information about changing the video source).
  4. Check the resolution settings on your notebook computer. Your monitor may support higher resolutions than what the docking station is able to support. Refer to the Display Resolution Table below for more information.
  5. If your monitor is connected to the docking station, the video output on your notebook computer may be disabled. You can enable the video output using Intel Graphics Control Panel or refer to your notebook computers User Guide.
  6. If only one monitor is shown and the other monitor is not, go to Intel Graphics Control Panel, and underMultiple Displays select the output for the second monitor.
  7. If three monitors are connected to the docking station, then the docking station will only support a maximum of two external monitors. Refer to the User Guide of the Dell Thunderbolt Dock for information on how to select and activate the desired monitors.

Please let me know if any of this makes a difference. 

TB

15 Posts

June 17th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Both configurations Office and Home are the same.

Steps already taken and configuration.

• Al drivers are installed

• One external screen 2560*1440 (hdmi connector is used and Dell U2713HM)

How to simulate?

1. Computer is turned on.

2. On the Doc. Station is the screen connected, as well the internet is connected

3. We connect the doc.station tot he computer

4. After a few sounds (the different devices are installed or getting enabled) there is an image on the screen.

5. The image disappears after +/- 15 seconds and the screen is blank

6. I remove the screen from the doc.station and reconnect. Images appears and disappears and after few times trying the image remains. (Oef)

7. I do not think that this is the way that has to work ?

So wat next ?

Regds

Parianos Henri

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 17th, 2016 13:00

It sounds like you have done all the needed steps. If the same notebook with the same settings, the same cables and the same monitors with all the same drivers installed and everything configured exactly in the same way works in the office, then it absolutely should work at home. 

Since it isn't working at home, then you are looking at either one or two things, there is a difference at the office that you are missing from home, or there is an environmental difference at home that is causing a problem. 

I don't think this is likely since the display works fine when connected directly to the notebook, but move the setup to a different place at the house, away from any other devices or for that matter overhead lights and see if the problem continues. If all of a sudden everything thing starts to working fine just because you moved the setup a few feet, then you know something there was interfering with the setup.

Otherwise it is something at the office that is different. If you aren't using the same equipment at home, swap out the docking station at work if possible and see if that makes a difference.  If you are using a different notebook at work swap it out for your home system and see if the problem continues. Try to find out if the problem lies with the notebook or the docking station.  If the work notebook works fine and the problem follows the home notebook, compare settings and drivers and make sure that the home system has the same drivers and is configured the same.

Assuming that it isn't something in the environment, then you are likely going to find the answer at the office.

TB

TB

15 Posts

June 17th, 2016 15:00

Training volgen

Hi Terry,

You miss understand me

Correction the same behaviour is at the office as wel at home.

Regds

Parianos Henri

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 21st, 2016 14:00

I apologize for the misunderstanding.  So you are having the problem with both setups, at home and the office?   You have the display and internet connection already attached to the WD15 doc (452-bccw), the notebook is power up, you plug in the doc to the notebook and briefly get an image on the display and then it goes out? You unplug the display and then plug it back in, and the image will flicker on and off for a little and then comes on.  Your question is should you have to plug in and out the monitor each time you connect the notebook?

If I am correct in understanding the problem, looking at the paper on the WD15 I did find the following.

If your monitor is connected to the docking station, the video output on your notebook computer may be disabled. You can enable the video output using Intel Graphics Control Panel or refer to your notebook computers User Guide.

According to this unfortunately what you are seeing is normal. When you connect the notebook to the doc, Windows may disable the video output. You shouldn’t have to disconnect the display.  Press the Windows and the P key together and select extend or projector only, assuming that you want both displays, or just the external monitor.

As always please correct me if I still misunderstand the problem. I hope that this helps.

TB

15 Posts

June 28th, 2016 14:00

What are we going to do cause I’m starting to lose my patience !!

What next ?

Regs

Parianos Henri

2 Posts

July 13th, 2016 13:00

Terry,

I am facing exact issues mentioned by you, with integrated screen and AC adapter plugged in the situation is a little bit better.

I have installed the latest drivers mentioned by you, but of no use...

Please help me out.

Thank you.

No Events found!