This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 11th, 2017 17:00

Precision 5520 - Doesn't recognize original 56Wh battery

Hi,

I'm trying to install a new 56Whr battery on my new precision 5520.

I bought the battery directly from dell but unfortunately the system doesn't recognize it as original and consequently doesn't charge it.

The laptop was previously equipped with a 97Whr battery but I had to downgrade it to allow the  installation of the Sata HDD,

Is there anything that I should change on the system while doing this? I don't see any options in the BIOS, could it be an issue with the battery itself?

The 56whr battery is an option that Dell is currently selling on the XPS version of this laptop and on the previous version of Precision.

Any thoughts?

2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 05:00

Hi ALFRA,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

If possible, could you test this battery on another machine and check if it works?

If another adapter works fine, replace the adapter. If the adapter fits in loose, then you would need to replace the dc port.

If the battery does not work on another machine as well, then we could replace the battery purchased if it is a new battery under warranty.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details (Name and Email) and the purchase order# of the battery for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 08:00

Hi Rishi,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter?

YES

When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

ADAPTER IS BRAND NEW AND RECOGNIZED AS ORIGINAL AND IN WORKING CONDITION IN THE BIOS.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

SYSTEM REPORTS THAT BATTERY IS NOT ORIGINAL. BIOS SAME THING.

If possible, could you test this battery on another machine and check if it works?

TESTED IN XPS 15 9550, IT WORKED.

TESTED XPS 15 9550 BATTERY INTO PRECISON (SAME MODEL). ERROR IS THE SAME.

If another adapter works fine, replace the adapter. If the adapter fits in loose, then you would need to replace the dc port.

If the battery does not work on another machine as well, then we could replace the battery purchased if it is a new battery under warranty.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details (Name and Email) and the purchase order# of the battery for case records.

SENT INFO.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW,

THANKS.

2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 12:00

Hi ALFRA,

I have responded to your private message.

Kindly review and reply accordingly.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 13:00

thanks,

let's see if we can get this resolved :)

1 Message

March 25th, 2017 02:00

Hi Alfra,

just wondering. Did you find a solution?

I got a 5510 with an extra HDD and wanted to add it to my new 5520.

Since the new 5520 came with the 97Whr battery, I wanted to change the battery too.

But the 5520 kept saying the battery is not original and it won't charge it.

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 28th, 2017 11:00

Wongsifu,

unfortunately the 5520 doesn't support older batteries.

You will need to order a spare one from Dell. .

Please make sure to get  the correct one from the sale rep. since the part number is different.

I got one after a few weeks of waiting (thanks Rishi) and it worked.

No Events found!