Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

RE: Precision 7510 Touch Screen Laptop - Shouldn't operating system be on the SSD?

If that is a Samsung PM951 PCIe NVMe then there is not a performance problem.

The situation with that drive needs to be handled by someone having that system or knowledgeable about that system, which I am not.  Getting a M.2 PCIe drive to be usable, as a bootable device, may take some special procedures.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
DMashak
1 Copper

RE: Precision 7510 Touch Screen Laptop - Shouldn't operating system be on the SSD?

Is the "M.2 PCIe drive" old, discontinued &/or unusual technology?

Is it uncommon to use this SSD as a boot drive?

Shouldn't this be warrantied service? I have run this unit through Dell Auto-Detect, Do you have access to that information?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

This Samsung drive is an OEM unit - built for sale to computer manufacturers.  It is not sold at retail to consumers.

Specifications:

www.samsung.com/.../MZVLV512HCJH

Was this a purchased from the Dell outlet, or from another vendor?

0 Kudos
DMashak
1 Copper

It was sold by another vendor on ebay best.computer.buying representing this was refurbished by Dell & shipped to them from Dell to them in a sealed box.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Since Dell doesn't actually do the refurbishing (it's handled by US arms of Foxconn, Quanta, Compal, etc. -- the very same vendors that build the systems in the first place), I'd place that claim as suspect.

If you are looking for a factory-configured system with the OS on the SSD, contact the EBay seller to return the system and exchange it.

0 Kudos
DMashak
1 Copper

So that SSD isn't original Dell installed equipment &  won't work as a boot drive; therefore I have to start from scratch?

Lets say I'm willing to take it in the shorts... How much would a Dell 256G or 500G SSD that will work for my purposes cost?

0 Kudos