AndersHF
1 Copper

Precision 7710 EGPU support

Hi!

Our corporation are running several lines of computers from Dell where as the Precision 7710 (soon to be 7720) is currently the "top of the line" laptop computer available for our employees.

Some of us are finding the Quadro cards installed limiting for certain tasks and I am currently researching the possibilities connecting an external egpu unit to the P7710 through the Thunderbolt 3 port.

The setup I have is, as mentioned, a P7710 connected to an Asus Rog XG Station 2 holding an Asus Strix Geforce GTX 1080 TI inside. It's not working. I spent the entire day reading forums and reddits, flashing bios and updating all drivers possible. I've also been tweaking and adjusting settings inside the BIOS ot get it working.

As far as I can tell the Thunderbolt firmware currently available to the P7710 is not supporting external GPUs. PD Firmware version is currently 16.00. Thunderbolt do recognize the external unit by name though.

Any help getting it working or notification on implementation progress is really appreciated!

Thank you.

Best regards.

Anders