Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2017 10:00

Precision 7710 How many m.2 SSDs can install into 2.5" drive bay

Precision 7710 How many m.2 SSDs can install into 2.5" drive bay

What parts are needed to achieve maximum?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 13th, 2017 14:00

There is a separate, M.2 NVMe port on this model - that will take an NVMe drive.  The 2.5" drive bays are SATA - they will take only SATA drives (2.5" natively;  M.2 with adapter). Unless you already own an M.2 SATA drive, there's no advantage to M.2 over a native 2.5" SATA SSD.  

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 11th, 2017 14:00

The 2.5" drive bay still only has a single SATA connector available on the motherboard, so even though multiple M.2 SSDs would physically fit in the space of a 2.5" drive bay, you wouldn't have a way to connect them all. Even if you only wanted one, I'm not sure there's an M.2 to SATA adapter.  I know there are mSATA to SATA, but that's a different physical connector.  Also note that even if there WERE an M.2 to SATA adapter,  you would need to ensure that your M.2 SSD used the SATA protocol, not NVMe/PCIe, since that would not be able to run over SATA (and even if it could, its performance would suffer significantly by doing so).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 11th, 2017 16:00

The answer above is correct -- one.  And you'll need something like this

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

27 Posts

September 13th, 2017 12:00

Why should I go to the trouble to get the adapters to use an m.2 SSD, when I can get an SSD in the 2.5" SATA-ready form factor ready to drop in?  

What am I losing by NOT using an m.2?  Is there a way to benefit (gain performance over SATA) from using a NVWe m2. SSD in the 2.5" bay?

No Events found!