Highlighted
M.Wan
1 Copper

Precision M4700 Win10 upgrade - Failure to initialize fingerprint reader during logon, and multiple same users on logon screen

I have upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. During the procedure a screen showed that Dell Access had to be removed before Windows 10 could be installed.

It was removed, and everything else went smoothly.

Now during logon, at the login screen, the system will take a while to initialize, and say "Failure to initialize". Luckily I am able to login using a password.

I want to use the fingerprint reader to login. Dell says that this system have no issues with upgrading to Windows 10, but not now. So how can I solve this problem?

I will like to do either the following:

1. Get the fingerprint reader working.

2. If it cannot work, I want the logon screen to stop trying to initialize and just use password to logon.

Also, I am getting 2-3 nos of the same user on the login screen. There is only 1 user on this computer but I see mostly 2 but sometimes 3 of the same on the lower left of the logon screen. I also want to remove the extras. Not an issue, but I think it may be related to the above as well.

Thanks.

M.Wan

2 Replies
Matt Pollicove
1 Copper

RE: Precision M4700 Win10 upgrade - Failure to initialize fingerprint reader during logon, and multiple same users on logon screen

I'm getting the same thing and the same lack of response.  Has anyone from DELL done any research on this?

ShadowBreeze
1 Copper

RE: Precision M4700 Win10 upgrade - Failure to initialize fingerprint reader during logon, and multiple same users on logon screen

I upgraded in the same manner and I have the same issue with the fingerprint reader, except I don't have the multiple available users shown. 

I have the same expectation that I should be able to use the fingerprint reader - either as a native Windows 10 device or updated Dell application OR to be able to disable the fingerprint option during login / resume.

I have tried several tips from on-line searches, including disabling the lock screen; disabling and / or uninstalling the biometric devices and Dell Vault software.  Both of the later are automatically reinstalled and enabled after a restart.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the fingerprint reader's failure to initialize error remained as long as the system would default to the password field and set the focus there automatically so I could type my password in without have to mouse in or repeated tab to get the focus.

'Breeze