lionsroar
1 Nickel

RE: Precision M4800 : Input lag at log in, Switchable graphics not functioning, GPU fan "chirping" when it starts up.

Jump to solution

Another Update

After dealing with the following issues :

• Very loud electronic chirping emanating from the fans, and it staying the same since new
  • Display hinges have significant resistance at normal open angles (90-130*), often catching and requiring enough force you have to close the lid with 2 hands to not break it, and it making loud metal on metal "pop" noises as you over come the resistance, along with the display wobbling when its open. (also did this the first time i opened the lid after taking it out the box)

I have finally called dell. I assumed the hinges would just "loosen" up overtime, but the more and more I use it the worse it gets. I assume there is something inside the hinge broken, or a manufacturing defect. The M4700 I used that prompted me to pick the M4800 has buttery smooth almost apple like hinges that only need one finger to open.

Both CPU and GPU fan will also be replaced as they have continued to "chirp" anytime the computer goes into, or comes out of  sleep, or even idle (so it will chirp randomly while typing word documents, emails, etc. It took me a while to realize it was the fans on the laptop, not a smoke detector's low battery chirp) Highly aggravating to say the least.

Hoping that this fixes both of these issues. Will follow up with the results after dell has serviced the laptop. Also mildly amazing that at work they can send me parts and I can replace them on my own. But for my personal laptop, I'm not allowed to just get the parts and put them in at my convenience, a tech must come out and do it.

Systems:

Primary AMD FX Desktop : AsROCK 970A-G/3.1, FX-8350 4.55Ghz@1.4v on air, RX580+ 8GB under clocked and undervolted (silent), 16GB Corsair Dominator Ram, MX100 512GB boot SSD, 525GB MX500 Program SSD, 525GB MX500 Game SSD, 2TB of Platter Drive Storage

Lenovo W520 :i7-2860QM, Quadro 2000M OC, FHD 95% Gamut Display, 16GB Ram, Dual 500GB SSD's
0 Kudos
balthazar0280
1 Copper

RE: Precision M4800 : Input lag at log in, Switchable graphics not functioning, GPU fan "chirping" when it starts up.

Jump to solution

Hi all,

For those with the 4K screen. I have found a workaround that may work for others. I have dropped the resolution from 4K (3840 x 2160) to QHD+ (3800 x 1800) and it seems to be behaving itself. You may have to increase scaling a bit. It is as though the video card does not refresh properly under 4K resolution.

So far a whole day with no mouse lag.

madridfran
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I will try that!..  really it is the very bad machine!..

0 Kudos
strongchai
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same machine and met the same issue as you! Still didn't find any solution to solve it.

0 Kudos
toddondell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dell has an apparent issue with the m4800 with the Firepro 5100 graphics processor and the 4K display.  The issue is noticeable as soon as you try to enter your password at boot and the keystrokes don't seem to take until you jog your mouse.  I replaced my Firepro with the nVidia K1100 and no more mouse lag issues.  I would encourage you to contact Dell.

0 Kudos
strongchai
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have restored my bios from A16 to A14, it seems that the chance I met the mouse cursor lag and freezing is reduced, but it still happen to come across this problem some time, although not that often. So I think, maybe the problem is related to the bios?

0 Kudos
madridfran
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank for you post!!! Let me ask a couple of question. Is it easy replace for yourself? Dell replace for you for free? Or you bought and replace? Also can you use display port? If you can tell to us the model I will try that!! Also I get problems with maxx audio wave drivers in win 10

0 Kudos
toddondell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My personal experience was a long and trying one.  First they sent a tech to replace the graphics card with another Firepro.  Did not make a difference.  Then they had tech replace motherboard.  No difference.  So I insisted on a new m4800 with the nVidia processor.  That's how I got mine.  BUT, I would think if you pushed, maybe they could send a tech to switch out your graphics card.  Or at least send you a different model (for which you will obviously need a different driver) and then you could install or take to a repair tech.

For what it's worth, Dell knows they have an issue with this hardware configuration and I was told they had elevated the issue to their senior engineers.

madridfran
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I will try to scale to dell support because it is imposible work with that problem. Also I tryed a thousand setting, drivers, win 7 and win 10.. and always get the same problem. In fact a lost a lot of hour in this problem!! Thank for all. Meaby they only need remove my graphics card and install the nvidia one.. meaby they dont need replace the workstation.

0 Kudos
toddondell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, I too lost an enormous amount of time to this issue.  ENORMOUS amount.  I would think just swapping out the graphics card for a different make/model should work, provided of course it has the appropriate specifications.  The nVidia K1100 seems to do the job.

I will tell you that I was able to pretty well correct the lag issue with the Firepro by going to the AMD website and running their auto-detect.  It does NOT detect the graphics card as the 5100, but rather as an R9.  Now it is not an R9.  But the R9 driver did resolve the lag.  That said, I do NOT think this is a good resolution as it could bring on other issues.  In the short term though, you may want to try that.  Good luck.  🙂

0 Kudos