Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2010 21:00

Precision M6300 no sound

My M6300 does not play back audio at all.

The driver is there for the  speakers (I think).

No problems being display under device manager.

the volume is turned up - not muted -

Attempted to run the sound test but could not since I don't have a headset.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 9th, 2010 05:00

Attempted to run the sound test but could not since I don't have a headset.

You run the tests without headphones. If the sound comes out of the speakers during the tests then it doesn't matter about testing with headphones. However if the tests fail then it would be very helpful in making a diagnosis to run the tests a second time with headphones or external speakers connected to the headphone jack. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
5. The tests will run. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one signal path is working.
The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it.
6. If you don't hear the music during the test it definitely means there is a hardware failure somewhere in the system. In this case Dell will repair the computer if it is still under warranty.
7.If you do hear the audio during the test but not when you boot back into Windows, that almost always means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the audio driver or with Windows.
8. Error codes: If you answer 'no' to any question that the test asks you, the test generates an error code that can tell a Dell technician that you answered 'no' to that question. The test does not know the exact component that has gone bad. Before answering 'no' to a question, make note of the circumstances at that point so you will know in general what the error code means.

No Events found!