Highlighted
makka
1 Copper

Precision M65: black screen but os boot

I own a nice Precision M56 since years but now video has stopped working.

If I leave the laptop off for a few hours and than I turn it on I can get to the windows login screen without problem.

If than I reboot the system I see only a black screen but I know the OS is loading cause I can hear the login welcome sound after a minute or so.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks in advance

Claudio

0 Kudos
10 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: Precision M65: black screen but os boot

Is there a good image on an external monitor?  If so, chances are it's a screen problem -- backlight or inverter.

If not, chances are the video chip has failed (this is one of nVidia's problematic ones -- see www.nvidiasettlement.com for details).

0 Kudos
makka
1 Copper

no image on external video :-(

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

That suggests the video chip is bad - see the nVidia settlement website.

0 Kudos
makka
1 Copper

My notebook computer is not eligible to participate in this settlement! 

Is settlement already over ? http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/dates.html

NVidia sucks also on support

0 Kudos

Are you able to get into safe mode, or enable VGA mode (Win XP) or enable Low Resolution mode (Vista, Win7)?  If so then this could just be a corrupted video driver.  Uninstall the driver completely. Make sure that it is not listed in device manager.  The latest Dell drivers may be downloaded from the following link

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemI...=

It might save you the fuss and bother on having to replace the GPU

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
harg
1 Copper

I have a 4 year old Dell Precision M65, which now loses display immediately after boot up  (I see XP icon).         Diagnosis info :   1.) Left side of screen was low in brightness, just before total loss of display.  2.) External Display does work OK even now.      3.) Seems the fan may not be running now.       Ideas on how to fix appreciated.

0 Kudos
Gno-Weh
1 Nickel

01-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Steve Property Of HardOCP, 42.5 Years

The NVIDIA GPU Litigation

The NVIDIA GPU Litigation page is finally taking claims from people affected by the company's faulty laptop GPUs. The courts have approved the settlement and you have from now until March 14, 2011 to get your claim in. "

Unfortunately, the web site has been shut down, so I can't see if my model, a Latitude D830 was on the list, and even if it were, it would be too late to file. 

0 Kudos
Gno-Weh
1 Nickel

It turns out, my Latitude D830 was covered, but I am too late to file a claim.  I guess the faulty NVIDIA chips help explain my blank laptop display problem.  

0 Kudos
Gno-Weh
1 Nickel

Upon booting my Latitude D830 machine this morning, the laptop panel display began working.  I had put it into hibernation last night and am not aware of anything I did to explain its working this morning.  One thing I did a few days ago was to unplug the power supply, remove the battery, push power button for 30 seconds,   replace power supply and start.  The panel display still did not work until this morning.  I knew that the monitor and hardware were still working because I had booted while holding the "D" key, and I saw the laptop panel display doing the solid colors test.  

I backed up my system, hoping to be able to restore to this point if it ever goes out again.  I believe it was a problem with the operating system because my computer would not recognize the laptop panel display.  

0 Kudos