dageezerus
5 Rhenium

Re: Precision M6500 touchpad jumps left a few inches when moving finger right

I decided to better document the steps I've used on a couple systems:

1. Download and install the latest A04 BIOS from HERE, unless it is already installed. (Make sure you reset BIOS defaults either way to clear NVRAM.)
2. Once in Windows, download the latest touchpad driver HERE. Do not install it yet.
3. Open MSCONFIG. On the Services tab, put the check in Hide all Microsoft Services. Uncheck the 2 Dell ControlPoint entries. Click Apply.
4. On the Startup tab, find the 2 Dell ControlPoint entries. Uncheck them. Click Apply, then Close. DO NOT restart.  
5. Uninstall the touchpad driver software from Add\Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Reboot.
6. Install the latest touchpad driver you downloaded. Reboot.

Test on reboot. If the issue is not present, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, in the Run\Search box, type MSCONFIG. Press <Enter>.
2. On the Startup tab, click Enable all. Perform the same steps on the Services tab. 
3. Click Apply and Close. Reboot.

I've had good success with these steps.  πŸ˜ƒ

Donald K

Inspiron E1505 Windows 10 / XPS 10 Windows RT

Dimension 8400 Windows 7/8

#IWork4Dell

ckantack
1 Copper

I've seen this problem on a few Dell M6500's I received this week.  (On at least 3 machines out of 8.)   Thanks for your postings.   I was about to call in a Dell tech but will try the generic Synaptics driver first.  

Chris

0 Kudos
dbongard
2 Bronze

Chris, are you saying that you have 5 brand new M6500's that do not have this problem at all?  If so, is there any correlation with the build dates?

Dell seems to have gone quiet on this.

Their tech guys emailed that same post above saying to install the Synaptics driver in the link...but the link is dead.

Has anybody found a Synaptics driver that fixes this???

0 Kudos
ckantack
1 Copper

In July I received 8 brand new Dell M6500's.  Opened up 5 of them and they had serious issues with the mousepad buttons working only intermittently.  Had a Dell tech come out to work on one and replacing the touchpad hardware didn't fix it so I shipped those units back. 

This week (Tuesday August 3rd) received 8 replacement M6500's.   Have tested 7 of them.  So far 4 of those 7 seem to work fine but three of them definitely have the touchpad tracking issue reported on this thread.   (Buttons work fine but touchpad is erratic after a few minutes of use.)   I've got the same software loaded on all 7 of these units.  Whether I use my own Windows 7 Enterprise image or the default Windows 7 image from Dell, same issue.

My original M6500's had BIOS A02.   This week's M6500's are BIOS rev. A04.    I'm going to go looking for that Synaptics driver as I'm going out of country in a few days and would like to have my touchpad working if possible.

Note:  Another problem with Dell M6500's (both batches I've received) is that (with default settings) if a non-bootable USB device is plugged in, the systems won't boot.   Fortunately rearranging the boot order in the BIOS settings is a work-around we can use.

Chris

0 Kudos
ckantack
1 Copper

I had no problems finding and installing the generic Synaptics driver referenced in the Dell discussion thread on M6500 touchpad problems.

But this does not appear to be a solution.   Problem still exists and the touchpad buttons are non-responsive half the time as well.   (Like my original batch of M6500's that I've sent back.)   This generic driver is an older driver and I’m beginning to suspect that our original Dell M6500 hardware may not have been physically defective but that it too had an older touchpad driver.

I have alerted my Dell support rep about this issue.  He is working within Dell to get it escalated.

0 Kudos
TheDesertDog
1 Copper

Don't expect to find any help from Dell here. I asked (Three times before I got a response) and this is what they think of using the forum as a troubleshooting resource. " I did not realize, initially, that your main concern is the information posted on the Dell Forum. The Forum is open to every member of the general public, and users with widely varying levels of skill and experience have the same publishing rights as trained and experienced ones. I find the information posted on the Forum interesting, and sometimes even informative, but I cannot rely on it for Warranty Hardware Support. I especially cannot instruct a user to install an unknown driver from a third party web site based on an unverified assessment of its suitability."

This was from:

US_Business_Ownership_TMPA <US_Business_Ownership_TMPA@dell.com>

Stephen P.
Dell Workstation Support
11:00 PM - 08:00 AM EST S-Th
1-877-671-3355

0 Kudos
dbongard
2 Bronze

The fix they posted that I was also sent by Dell ProSupport does not work.

My Dell tech sent me a new link to that Synaptics driver, so I was then able to follow that fix 100%.

Out of interest, the driver they are pointing us to was released in January, and was the very same one that my machine came installed with.

So essentially they are just assuming that we have outdated drivers or they think that simply reinstalling the driver will fix it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

If you Google "Dell M6500 touchpad" then this forum link is actually the second down in the list.

0 Kudos
ckantack
1 Copper

What's weird is, is that I have some new Dell M6500's (from the very same batch as the troublesome ones) that appear to not have the problem.  They've got the exact same software as the problem units.    So perhaps the problem just isn't the driver.   ???????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
carheden
1 Copper

I've got an M6500 running Debian Linux (lenny release) that has the same problem, so I'm petty sure it's not just a driver issue (though hopefully a driver or BIOS update can /fix/ the issue). I haven't seen the dead area, but the mouse cursor jumping left occurs frequently. I haven't checked by BIOS version yet, but I'll post here if a BIOS update fixes it.

For those who may be curious about M6500 and linux support, it works great (except, of course, touchpad), including sound and wireless. Wireless does require Kernel 2.6.32 iwlagn drivers though, and the if you need RAID, just use md. Ignore the onboard fakeraid junk.

0 Kudos
dbongard
2 Bronze

Seems odd that a hardware issue would correct itself by re-booting...but I'm willing to hope!

Has anyone out there corrected this issue by letting the Dell techs swap over their touchpads?

Or has it only ever gone away with a whole new machine?

Please let us know.

I'd rather not suffer the pain of a machine swap.

0 Kudos