soosmen
1 Copper

Re: Precision M6500 touchpad jumps left a few inches when moving finger right

I have had my new palm rest for two days... working perfect!!!... FYI... I tried the drivers too.... they don't work... you need a new palm rest and Dell knows it... make them change it.

picohen
2 Bronze

Hey all,

I am just following up from my last post on 10/16/2010.  So far, I am problem free.  For refresher, they changed the mother board and two daughter boards, plus the touchpad and palm rest.

All still seem to be working.

I am not going to say it's fixed yet as per dbongard, but  like a 12-step program, I'm taking it one day at a time.  For now, I'm good to go.  If you are new to this thread, reference this thread when you call Dell Tech Support.  That's what sent them out to me right quick.

Thank you all for doing your diligence and contributing to this thread.

Now it's off to solve my other issue -- random freezing (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19336090/19710708.aspx#19710708)

- Phil -

P.S. Is your M6500 freezing randomly?  You are not alone.  Please look at this thread to see if the symptoms are similar to yours.  If this seems relevant to you, please consider adding your system configuration to the spreadsheet here so we can trend the problem and look for common hardware configurations.

0 Kudos
Mena.Ermey
1 Copper

I decided to better document the steps I've used on a couple systems:

1. Download and install the latest A04 BIOS from HERE, unless it is already installed. (Make sure you reset BIOS defaults either way to clear NVRAM.)

2. Once in Windows, download the latest touchpad driver HERE. Do not install it yet.

3. Open MSCONFIG. On the Services tab, put the check in Hide all Microsoft Services. Uncheck the 2 Dell ControlPoint entries. Click Apply.

4. On the Startup tab, find the 2 Dell ControlPoint entries. Uncheck them. Click Apply, then Close. DO NOT restart.  

5. Uninstall the touchpad driver software from Add\Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Reboot.

6. Install the latest touchpad driver you downloaded. Reboot.

Test on reboot. If the issue is not present, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, in the Run\Search box, type MSCONFIG. Press <Enter>.

2. On the Startup tab, click Enable all. Perform the same steps on the Services tab. 

3. Click Apply and Close. Reboot.

I've had good success with these steps.  😃

Thanks for your effort! I got more deep understanding about this part, It helps me out of the problem.
0 Kudos
Nato14
1 Copper

Ok,

As I see it, this thread really is dealing with multiple issues, some are hardware related and some are software related. That makes it very confusing.

Hardware issues: palm rests and touch pad will freeze the cursor, cause the cursor to jump, or cause a button to click inadvertently. Cursor operates pretty normally when there is no pressure on the palm rests.

Software/driver issue: Machine freezes up or the touch pad freezes after use, and requires a reboot to correct it.

I've just discovered an interesting software/driver issue and was wondering if anyone else has seen this. With the A06 (not A05) Drivers for the touch pad, with touch pad scrolling enabled, the touch pad will completely freeze up when using Firefox, after you attempt to scroll with the touch pad. This does not happen with Internet Explorer. Only a reboot will fix this.

Any thoughts?

M6500 Precision Workstation Laptop

0 Kudos
Nato14
1 Copper

The freezing touchpad also occurs with Thunderbird email client - another Mozilla product (along with Firefox). Whenever either it or Firefox is the focused application and you try to scroll using the gesture function of the touchpad the touchpad freezes/locks up, and I can only reset it by restarting the machine 

If the single and double finger gestures are turned off, then the touchpad will not freeze up in those two applications. Hmmmmm

Those are the only two applications that I have been able to instantly cause a touchpad freeze/lockup using the scroll function with the A06 drivers installed.

M6500 Precision Workstation Laptop

0 Kudos
ralfonso
1 Copper

i deinstalled the dell driver and installed the manufactures driver. for a month now no problems with the touchpad.

manufacturers drivers do not have JOGFUNCTION though... ,-(

0 Kudos
Highlighted
picohen
2 Bronze

Just another -- and my last -- follow up since my last post on 11/12. 

My touchpad has been problem-free since the hardware replacement.  For those who continue to have problems, I highly recommend referencing this thread to your Dell tech support person and asking for touchpad replacement.  Again, for refresher, more than just the touchpad was replaced in my case.  They replaced the mobo, two daughter boards, the touchpad and palm rest.

To sum:

1.  Follow the steps outlined by dageezerus HERE (or as above via Mena.Ermy)

2.  If you still have trouble, leverage Dell tech support, open a case, reference this thread indicating touchpad replacement has worked for some of the members.

On that note, there dosen't seem to be as much activity as there was earlier in the month, so I'm hoping that means your difficulties are being resolved.

Good luck,

- Phil -

P.S. Is your M6500 freezing randomly?  You are not alone.  Please look at this thread to see if the symptoms are similar to yours.  If this seems relevant to you, please consider adding your system configuration to the spreadsheet here so we can trend the problem and look for common hardware configurations.

0 Kudos
marktrayton
1 Copper

Hi same problem here... tried the fixes noted in this forum - very slight difference when disabling all touchpad functionality... I've actually found that the problem definately occurs with even the slightest pressure to the left palm rest, just above the buttons and up to two centimeters away from the pad.  When leaning on the palmrest the pointer either stops completely or behaves eratically exactly as other members have noted on this forum.  Sometimes even without touching the palm rest I get the problem

Today an engineer came to fix the problem.  He brough with him a new palm rest / touchpad.  Tried two brand new ones - and a variety of drivers - a completely new insrtalation of Windows 7 32 bit instead of the 64 bit version.  Absolutely no difference whatsoever.  He informed Dell that he believes it to be a design fault as the plastics are extremely thin around the touch pad.

Dell told him they believe it to be an electromagnetic problem which we both laughed at!... I made sure though.  No sleeves, and away from anything electrical and running on batteries... exactly the same problem, but I think honestly that was to be expected.

Dell have emailed me to say to say that they will call me tomorrow to run me through a firmware update that might fix the problem.  I fail to see how this will fix what is obviously a physical problem - but i am willing to give anything a try.

The engineer today told me that he had to replace the track pad / palm rest on two M6500's today! On my machine the palm rest is slightly raised at the front of the machine in fact so is the replacement... The engineer said the other one he looked at today was the same.  Mine doesn't appear to be physically built to particularly high measurement tolerance!

These are very expensive laptops and on the whole, have so much going for them - I hope Dell read this forum and sort the problem out... I mean I have three years of next business day warranty on mine - which I will obviously be making good use of until the fault is fixed... Personally I feel the problem is the hardware.  I'll keep this forum posted with the results of the firmware update.  Has anyone else had a firmware update to the touch pad?...

UPDATE: I had an email from Dell with a link to the firmware update.. it is actually a bios update revision A02!! my current version is A04 - so they are actually suggesting that I downgrade my bios... this doesn't make sense to me... I have asked them to call me to clarify... Again - I can't see that a bios update will fix a physical fault with the touchpad or why they even suggested it...

UPDATE AGAIN! I tried the bios downgrade Dell suggested - on opening it it told me that it did support my laptops hardware! I can see this story going on and on...!

0 Kudos
soosmen
1 Copper

rrr..... I am on my third new laptop... yep... they are sending me another one... I missed it in FedEx today... should have it up by early next week... I will let you know how it works.... I was told they have upgraded the hardware... we shall see???

0 Kudos
marktrayton
1 Copper

Hi same problem here... tried the fixes noted in this forum - there was a very slight difference when disabling all touchpad functionality... I've actually found that the problem definately occurs with even the slightest pressure to the left palm rest, just above the buttons and up to two centimeters away from the pad.  When leaning on the palmrest the pointer either stops completely or behaves eratically exactly as other members have noted on this forum.  Sometimes even without touching the palm rest I get the problem

Today an engineer came to fix the problem.  He brough with him a new palm rest / touchpad.  Tried two brand new ones - and a variety of drivers - a completely new instalation of Windows 7 32 bit instead of the 64 bit version.  Absolutely no difference whatsoever.  He informed Dell that he believes it to be a design fault as the plastics are extremely thin around the touch pad.

Dell told him they believe it to be an electromagnetic problem which we both laughed at!... I made sure though.  No sleeves, and away from anything electrical and running on batteries... exactly the same problem, but I think that was to be expected!

Dell have emailed me to say to say that they will call me tomorrow to run me through a firmware update that might fix the problem.  I fail to see how this will fix what is obviously a physical problem - but i am willing to give anything a try.

The engineer today told me that he had to replace the track pad / palm rest on two M6500's today! On my machine the palm rest is slightly raised at the front of the machine, in fact so is the replacement... The engineer said the other one he looked at today was the same.  Mine doesn't appear to be physically built to particularly high measurement tolerance!

These are very expensive laptops and on the whole, have so much going for them - I hope Dell read this forum and sort the problem out... I mean I have three years of next business day warranty on mine - which I will obviously be making good use of until the fault is fixed... Personally I feel the problem is the hardware.  I'll keep this forum posted with the results of the firmware update.  Has anyone else had a firmware update to the touch pad?...

UPDATE: I had an email from Dell with a link to the firmware update.. it is actually a bios update revision A02!! my current version is A04 - so they are actually suggesting that I downgrade my bios... this doesn't make sense to me... I have asked them to call me to clarify... Again - I can't see that a bios update will fix a physical fault with the touchpad or why they even suggested it...

UPDATE AGAIN! I tried the bios downgrade Dell suggested - on opening it it told me that it did support my laptops hardware! I can see this story going on and on...!

0 Kudos