Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2014 08:00

Precision M6500 will not recognize Intel 530 SSD in second drive bay - worked before with older SSD

Ok problem solvers who love a good challenge,

I'm having issues getting my M6500 to recognize a new Intel 530 SSD in the second drive bay. I have the interposer and bracket installed but the BIOS will not recognize the drive. I have carefully checked that the interposer is plugged onto the drive connectors and that the interposer is seated in the connector on the riser that comes up from the motherboard .

I'm on BIOS A09 and I'm in AHCI mode.

On boot it does not recognize the drive. Hitting F2 for Setup, it only shows my primary drive in the System Information.

Do I need to swap back to RAID in my SATA settings (which I already tried with no luck) and then do something to get the onboard RAID controller to recognize the drive? (this I have not done)

Extra information that may help: I was replacing a Samsung 840 SSD that had been working in the second bay but I was starting to have read issues (In the Event Viewer Application Log I was getting multiple Event ID 51 "An error was detected on device [...] during a paging operation."). So I have had the second bay working before. I even suspect the interposer or riser as a possible problem because one solution to the event ID 51 problem is to replace the SATA "cable". I know the new drive works because I cloned it from the old drive using a USB to SATA connector.

Thanks,
Jack

August 1st, 2014 04:00

Incompatible, you could upgrade to BIOS version 10, and flash the Intel firmware using Solid-State Drive Toolbox 3.2.3, but you would still have the problem. I suspect It is one of the 2 causing the issue though, until this gets patched it will not work.

1 Message

September 24th, 2016 10:00

what has to get patched? where is the patch?

1 Message

October 17th, 2016 16:00

I had the same problem with a Dell Precision T3610 (circa 2014) and Intel 530 SSD (480 GB). I had to go back to BIOS A08 to get it to work. The drive is not visible with A09, A10, A11, or A12. Strangely the Intel 520 SSD (120 GB) works with all BIOS versions I tried.

No Events found!