Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2012 14:00

Precision M6600 / Nvidia 4000M / Port replicator / 2 monitors

We purchased a new Precision M6600 less than 10 days ago and everything was working fine with multiple monitor support - I was able to have the desktop extended across the laptop's display and two external monitors connected via DVI and the port replicator.

This morning, I had a BSOD and what seems like an driver update whilst I was at a meeting (using only the laptop screen). I have now connected the laptop to the port replicator, and I cannot get it to use both external monitors - one or another, but not both. I have restarted the laptop a number of times.

In the Nvidia Control Panel -> Set Up Multiple Displays, it lists all three displays but if I select the third, a bubble appears saying that "this GPU supports up to 2 displays" -  but it was supporting three yesterday :(

4 Posts

May 16th, 2012 04:00

I think after a number of times this has happened, and tried various techniques, the problem is that the Optimus option in the BIOS (under Video) for some reason becomes disabled. Enabling it resolves the issue.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2013 11:00

The above works! Turn off Machine, restart into Bios ( Hitting F2 while booting up)
Look under Video and Enable "Optimus" as noted above

Here is the reason from Dell support: The M6600 machine has two graphics cards in it. 
The Nvidia high power unit, and a low power Nvidia. Optimus being enabled allows both of them to operate.
This allows the Nvidia to power your external monitors and Intel to power the LCD.
If Optimus gets turned off, it won't power more than two.

4 Posts

March 27th, 2012 15:00

I managed to get this working. I think the computer got itself confused over which graphics adapter (the Nvidia and the Intel one) was controlling which monitor. I cannot remember exactly what I did, but it involved rebooting the machine the laptop whilst disconnected from the port replicator, and then reconnected and removed the desktop from the monitors in Windows "Screen Resolution" app, and then re-added.

1 Message

December 12th, 2012 13:00

I came across this posting because this is exactly what happened to my M6600. At first, it was able to handle 2 monitors plus the laptop monitor, a total of 3. It ran about 6 or more months. Had a meeting, blue screen, noticed the NVIDIA update and then all of sudden I can't run both monitors at the same time.

I tried every possible settings including what you've said but still can't make it work.

I have NVIDIA quadro 4000 with e-port dock (not the e-port plus).

Please help and thanks for your post.

4 Posts

December 18th, 2012 08:00

I'm afraid I cannot help any more as I no longer have the laptop. From memory, however, it was just the enabling of the feature in BIOS that resolved the issue.

August 26th, 2015 15:00

Yes this does work for all of you who need conformation of suggestions on the net before wasting your time.

Yesterday I had 3 screens, and today down to two. Doesn't matter which combinations I tried, only two were permitted. 

Quick read of the above post, into Bios, found video, click + for drop-down, select Optimus, check enable, hit apply, and exit. Machine automatically restarted with three screens. 

One very happy Dell user.

November 24th, 2015 05:00

I attempted this fix that you have suggested.  It did not work.  When I enabled Optimus Tech and the laptop booted up, only the laptop screen was active.  The control panel didn't even show that the external monitors existed anymore.  The NVIDIA control panel was also no longer accessible.  It was as if enabling the Optimus disabled the NVIDIA graphics card.  Any suggestions?

I'm running with the NVIDIA Quadro 5010M

November 24th, 2015 05:00

I tried this and still can't get my screens to work.  I enabled the Optimus Tech in the BIOS and when my comp booted up it actually made everything worse.  It basically disabled my NVIDIA card and i was only able to use my laptop monitor.  I attempted to restart, thinking it may just need to be rebooted, but it still only loaded the laptop screen.  I even went into the control panel and now it only listed the one screen as well, no externals.  

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm running the M6600 with NVIDIA Quadro 5010M

1 Message

April 11th, 2017 20:00

FYI my screen got all screwed and blurry this also fix's that issue

No Events found!