radekrat
1 Copper

RE: Precision M6800 DVD noise or defective DVD drive

I am immensely concerned and a bit pissed off to be honest that something like that is taking place.

I wonder whether the replacement unit will have same problems. 

0 Kudos
dcidon
1 Copper

Looks like the AMD Firepro driver I downloaded from AMD is now available on Dell Driver Site (see below).  It is listed as Recommended, but my experience is that is is Critical, because the system was unusable for me prior to the patch.  I am on day 5 without a single blue screen or freeze up.  I also found the fan was no longer cycling like a crazy beast - so maybe it is related to that as well.  On the positive side I can say that when the system works properly, it really is a fast and quiet laptop.  I am sure these issues will eventually get resolved - but I totally understand the frustration - I was ready to throw it out the window myself.  We all have day jobs and cannot waste time like this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dcidon
1 Copper

If you have the spare cycles, try to download Process Monitor:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645

Then see what process is trying to hit the DVD.  Maybe it's something that can be disabled or configured such as the AntiVirus software or Windows Search, or some silly thing like that.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
radekrat
1 Copper

Managed to solve the problem with dvd drive? 

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Please accept our apologies for noise that you've been experiencing from the DVD drives in your Precision systems. Dell Engineering is currently testing BIOS revision A05 which will be a final resolution for this problem. Please see the following link as confirmation: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/uk/en/ukdhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=uk&l=en&s=gen...

If you have any other issues, please don't hesitate to let me know by adding me as a friend and outlining your issue in the friend request and I will try to address these for you as quickly as possible.

John C
Dell | Social Outreach Services

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
mponet
1 Copper

No go on the replacement drive.  Glad to see Dell is addressing the problem in BIOS.

0 Kudos
DavidSte
1 Nickel

Hi,

Which graphics card were you getting BSODs with?  I get an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on the igdkmd64.sys (intel HD graphics driver on win 8.1) so I'm wondering if upgrading the AMD driver is going to do much.

Cheers, David

0 Kudos
precision6800
1 Nickel

I have the AMD Fire Pro and Win7 64bit, updating does not help anything at all.

0 Kudos
mponet
1 Copper

Post has been dormant for awhile.  BIOS did not correct the issue, emailed the Dell tech that was on the incident before, no reply.  Also haven't been able to get switchable graphics to work correctly.  No matter what settings I used all applications were using the onboard Intel graphics chip.  The only way to get the full functionality of the firepro graphics was to disable switchable graphics in the BIOS.  If anyone knows how to solve this problem, that would be fantastic.

0 Kudos
precision6800
1 Nickel

Hey John C, any news with A05 update, basically what issue are you focusing to resolve on A05?

- fan kicking high rev to low rev seems not normal

- switchable graphics does not work properly

- the dreaded DVD drive noise

- after updating with all downloads.. my Dell most of the time does not wake on sleep mode and sometimes freezes and unresponsive

I hope A05 will resolve all this issue

0 Kudos