Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2009 14:00

Precision M70 overheating

My computer has crashed multiple times in the last week to a BSOD because of overheating.  The computer seems to be reaching temperatures hotter than I would think normal.  It's very hot to the touch on the bottom as well.  The fans are working, but they're on they're low setting.  I can use a program to manually make them go faster, which lowers the temperatures inside the computer.

Why are the fans letting the temperatures inside the computer get hot enough to crash?  Also what temperature ranges are normal for this laptop?

I'm using a Dell Precision M70.

Intel Pentium M 2.00ghz.

NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400

The CPU gets to the 60's C.

The GPU mid 70's.

Chipset mid 60's.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2009 15:00

That could be part of the problem.  I tried the other day to take apart the laptop and see if I could remove dust but didn't have much success.  I might do that after work today and post the results here.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2009 15:00

This has happened to me a few times before already in about 3 years. Every once in awhile dust just builds up in the fans, restricting how much air can actually be vented to cool your computer. I've burned out 2 video cards already for letting it get too bad. I now am having this same problem again and am here to see if there's some solution without calling someone out to take my laptop apart.

No Events found!