Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2011 08:00

Precision m4300

I am an ex Dell warranty engineer that now works for a Multi vendor support company, I have just replaced a motherboard on a precision M4300 with another 6 of the same waiting to be done. All are out of Warranty. Each replacement board comes out configured as a LAT D830 and i know from my Time with Dell that same motherboards were used in various machines, and that to get the correct BIOS you have to Force the BIOS from a pure DOS environment, and not just a DOS prompt from within windows and then type fro m a command prompt c:\ biosname /forcetype, the bios upgrade starts to load but then says  only trouble it says that I cant do that, i have also tried other switches such as /Forceit  and also /Jabil and every combination of all of these each with the same non working result and error.

So my questions are Can you force Flash a D830 BIOS with a Pecision M4300 or can you only do it the other way ie Precision m4300 to Lat d830?

and if it can be done where am i going wrong?

7 Posts

June 21st, 2011 10:00

I am Delll Certified  and the Dell utility disk only changes the TAG number and not the board type

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2011 10:00

Dell Precision M4300 Motherboard GU095 DX779

Unless you are Dell certified I don't think the information will be available to you.

There is a Dell Tech only utility to change the service tag and board type.

The Bios utility checks this and installs accordingly.

No Events found!