Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2016 13:00

Problem: Harddisk starts to spin even though laptop is switched off, once charging cable is plugged in

Hello everybody,

I have the following problem:

I have an Alienware 17 laptop. When the charging cable (while attached to the laptop) is put into the socket, the laptop makes a beeping noise, and switches on - well, something is switched on.

There is no proper boot, but I can can hear the harddisk spinning. It will stay like that, until i push the Reset button, upon which the laptop boots properly.

I wonder, what is the reason for this behaviour & is there a chance that this will damage my hardware?

At any rate, I would very much like to stop this behaviour.

Your help is much appreciated.

Philipp

2K Posts

September 25th, 2016 19:00

Hi Philipp,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

When you first plug the adapter in and power on the machine, how many exact # of beeps are encountered?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1WU5KuB  - restart the system and check.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!