Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2012 04:00

Problem installing JMicron Card Reader driver on Dell XPS15z(L511Z) - Windows 8

When I try to install JMicron driver, I get this message: Installation failed - device not found. The link to the driver is this: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/it/it/itdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15z?driverId=TKH3F&osCode=W864&fileId=3080914313 

PS I've already installed all drivers starting from the chipset driver. It remains only JMicron driver!

March 18th, 2013 13:00

I was struggling with the exact same issue for quite a while.  I was unable to install the JMicron JMB389 driver on my XPS15z under Windows 8 Pro x64.  After numerous attempts and methods, I finally stumbled onto a solution that worked for me.  Before installing the driver, I inserted an SD Card into the reader.  After the card was detected by the default Microsoft supplied driver, the reader showed up in Device Manager.  After that, with the card still inserted, I was able to install the JMicron driver.  I don't know if this workaround will work for anyone else, but I thought I'd post here just in case.

1.8K Posts

December 16th, 2012 12:00

Hi Josh11,

I suggest you to download and install the Dell Realtek RTS5209 Card Reader Driver from the following link:
http://dell.to/T0Q6dH

Please let me know about your findings.

48 Posts

December 17th, 2012 07:00

Realtek? I do not want to create problems. I think I'll wait for the next JMicron update. Thanks anyway.

1.8K Posts

December 17th, 2012 16:00

Hi Josh11,

Thank you for your reply. Please check if the card reader is detected in Device Manager. Try updating the drivers from the Device Manager if the device is detected.

48 Posts

December 18th, 2012 05:00

No, Card Reader is not detected in Device Manager.

1.8K Posts

December 19th, 2012 16:00

Hi Josh11,

Thank you for your reply. The card reader may need replacement.  I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘DELL-Rajath N’ highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps.

January 3rd, 2013 10:00

Hi 'DELL-Rajath N',

I also have the same exact problem that the card reader is not being detected by the system. I tried installing all the drivers including chipset and bios but when I try to install the JMicron driver, it shows device not found. I talked with a Dell technical representative on the phone but they suggested me that the only way to rectify the problem is to replace the motherboard. Is it so? Since there is no more problems except the card reader issue, it doesn't seem feasible for me to do so. Thanks in Advance.

48 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 11:00

Hi soham.acharjee, I've not been contacted anymore by DELL-Rajath N. It was recommended to you even to change motherboard? The price of a motherboard is very high and to me the warranty has expired! The curious thing is that I've never used card reader and I do not understand how it has been able to break! You've encountered other problems in the transition to Windows 8?

January 4th, 2013 01:00

Hi Josh11, oh I hoped there would be an alternate option. Yeah for me too, the laptop is out of warranty and the price of the motherboard is Rs. 11,000. The dell representative told me that the card reader  and all other ports are attached to the motherboard. So in order to change the card reader, the entire motherboard has to be replaced which seems absurd why I would change my perfectly fine laptop motherboard.

Actually I have dual booted my laptop to run Windows 7 as well as windows 8. My card reader is not working in either OS. I haven't any other major difficulties in transition to windows 8. The few problems I had was gone after a driver installation in win 8.

48 Posts

May 29th, 2013 12:00

Dear ralphsanchez, I followed your steps and it worked!

No Events found!