Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 3rd, 2010 10:00

Problem: video driver restarts; system: Latitude E6510, i7-720, FHD (1920x1080 display), 3100M, Win7Pro x64,

Gentle folk,

I recently purchased an E6510 with Nvidia 3100M graphics hardware.

Unfortunately, its video display occasionally goes black and then recovers.Windows generates a popup saying that it had to restart the display driver. This usually happens once every few days, but happened twice this morning.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Laptop details: Latitude E6510, i7-720, FHD (1920x1080 display), 3100M, Win7Pro x64.

I've updated the Nvidia graphics driver several times, most recently to v 8.17.12.5896 (aka 258.96), but the symptoms have been unchanged.

67 Posts

September 11th, 2010 09:00

It looks like the reinstall fixed the problem. I haven't seen any pauses in screen updates yet. Usually there was at least one per hour of use. Evidently one of Dell's special features is broken and occasionally prevents the video driver from updating the screen.

Sorry: I'm not going to spend the time finding out which one it is -- assuming it's only one. There are way too many, and I just don't have a pressing need for any of them.

67 Posts

September 13th, 2010 08:00

A couple of follow-up notes:

I subsequently installed the FreeFall Sensor driver and Dell's Control Point System Manager. The latter includes the "disable battery charging" feature. Supposedly trickle charging fully charged batteries shortens their lifetimes. CPSM also includes some display control features, which concerned me, but I still haven't seen any display glitches after several days of use. CPSM does not include the program which causes Win7 to switch to Aero Basic when running on battery power. I dunno where that program comes from. It's certainly not on my system at the moment.

A major "at install-time" driver that I didn't install is "Intel's Rapid Storage Technology" driver. It provides several two-drive SATA RAID options as well as a form of incremental backup which perhaps could be described as a delayed RAID 1. To use IRST features you have to have a second SATA disk connected to the laptop's ESATA port or be using a docking station which supports ESATA. i have neither: my external disks all use USB. I suspect, however, that this featureset might be important in many business environments.

s.

September 13th, 2010 10:00

Thanks for the follow-up. I am troubleshooting software by removing startup items and so far I have ruled out a lot, and I am currently looking at Mozilla Firefox. I have switched to Chrome and IE for now and haven't had problems just yet, but I am not holding my breath. Once I rule out all the running programs I will look at repairing the OS. Do you use Firefox primarily?

67 Posts

September 13th, 2010 11:00

CBIT,

I'm sure it's not Firefox. I use Firefox almost exclusively, with the Addons NoScript, WebOfTrust and BetterPrivacy. Every once in a while I encounter a Website where they're doing something nonstandard and am forced to use IE, but that's very seldom.

s.

67 Posts

September 30th, 2010 10:00

I have seen no video glitches since the reinstall of Win7.

CBIT, have you managed to resolve your glitches?

s.

October 1st, 2010 10:00

A couple days before Dell replaced my motherboard, I linked Comodo Backup to some of my glitches. It started happening every 30 minutes and then I realized that's when it ran its backup. I am thinking it may have been faulty hardware, and it was irritated more by the backup process. I guess I won't know 100% for sure. It has been working good for a week now though.

Ben

1 Message

May 25th, 2011 18:00

Same problem as the rest of you. Apparently Dell is chosing to stick their head in the sand over this issue,  When you spend nearly 2 thousand dollars for a computer, you expect more.  Maybe it's time I look for another more responsive manufacturer.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 26th, 2011 13:00

rrsltx

Drivers for the Intel integrated video adapter and the Nvidia GPU have been released since the last post on this thread.  The intel driver may be found from the following link.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

The nvidia driver

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

If you haven't updated the drivers I certainly suggest trying.

TB

February 8th, 2012 12:00

I also have the same system with the same issue. I upgraded to A11 BIOs no help, I emailed NVIDA who says its a Dell issue. I called dell to say to replace the MB. DId that still the same issue. HTe only thing I noticed is that the drivers are 32bit and I am running x64bit of Windows 7. All I know this issue is driving me crazy and Dell needs to fix this ASAP or my next PC will be a toshiba

67 Posts

February 8th, 2012 13:00

FWIW, I had similar video problems with my E6510, Q720, FHD system, and also had the motherboard replaced to no avail.

The graphics hangs and restarts all went away when I reinstalled Win7 Pro x64 from scratch, using the DVDs which were included with the system. The computer has been rock-stable ever since then (September, 2010).

However, I installed only the two or three Dell drivers that I actually needed. In particular, I did not install the ethernet, Bluetooth, WiMax, fingerprint, multi-touch trackpad, RAID or Webcam drivers. Of course, you might need some of these. I also installed the most recent graphics driver from Nvidia instead of Dell's version, which was older.  I suspect that one (or perhaps interactions) of the non-video drivers intermittently causes long delays in interrupt handling, which is unacceptable to Win7's display software.

I hope this helps a little.

February 8th, 2012 14:00

So I am trying this:

I use two 30" monitors on display port with a E-Port Replicator. One person said he used DisplayLink with Java, he narried the issue down to a java install that did not work. He said to update the Display Link driver for which I used and any java version. So far its only been 1hr its working but will keep you all posted.

No Events found!