CitizensBankIT
6 Indium

Re: Problem: video driver restarts; system: Latitude E6510, i7-720, FHD (1920x1080 display), 3100M, Win7Pro x64,

I hate to hear that, but I may need to think about my options. I keep an image backup, but that will image the problems too. I don't have time to reinstall all of my programs and adjust all the settings.. Maybe I can repair the Win7 files and go from there. I will try running in safe mode with networking to see if it acts up, but with no event logs showing anything I am doubtful. Seems like hardware, but who knows, I guess it's back to XP. Ha, only kidding.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: Problem: video driver restarts; system: Latitude E6510, i7-720, FHD (1920x1080 display), 3100M, Win7Pro x64,

If you aren't getting any event log entries, then your problem is not the same as mine.

I'm getting entries both in the Reliability Monitor, which say there was a video hardware problem, and in the system event log, which say event id 4101.

s.

0 Kudos
CitizensBankIT
6 Indium

I meant in addition to the 4101.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I just discovered (while downloading drivers in preparation for a full Win7 install) that there's a new firmware release (A05). Although I suspect it's unlikely to help, that'll be my next step before the reinstall.

It looks like a major new feature in the firmware is Intel AntiTheft v2.0.24.

0 Kudos
CitizensBankIT
6 Indium

I got A05 a while ago and I am still having the issues.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thanks. I've gone ahead and reinstalled Win7. It took about 35 minutes to do the base install. Then another 20 or so do do the O/S updates. I loaded only 3 non-MS drivers: Dell multi-touch touchpad (although I don't use that feature), Dell's download of the Intel WiFi driver and Nvidia's graphics and audio drivers (v258.96). I let everything else install with the defaults, but disabled Bluetooth and the Webcam. Windows Update installed the Intel ethernet driver. I'll be disabling that, too, for now.

I haven't installed any AV, yet... I'll probably just use MS Security Essentials for now. SEP 11 would be my other option.

I want to use some other login and runtime backdrop images, too. The default Win7 images are just too garish for me. Since I've blown-away Dell's install, I don't think I'll use Dell's  Latitude backgrounds, although I do like the way they look.

Of course, now there's all the software that I actually got the Laptop for...

*sigh*

s..

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

It looks like the reinstall fixed the problem. I haven't seen any pauses in screen updates yet. Usually there was at least one per hour of use. Evidently one of Dell's special features is broken and occasionally prevents the video driver from updating the screen.

Sorry: I'm not going to spend the time finding out which one it is -- assuming it's only one. There are way too many, and I just don't have a pressing need for any of them.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

A couple of follow-up notes:

I subsequently installed the FreeFall Sensor driver and Dell's Control Point System Manager. The latter includes the "disable battery charging" feature. Supposedly trickle charging fully charged batteries shortens their lifetimes. CPSM also includes some display control features, which concerned me, but I still haven't seen any display glitches after several days of use. CPSM does not include the program which causes Win7 to switch to Aero Basic when running on battery power. I dunno where that program comes from. It's certainly not on my system at the moment.

A major "at install-time" driver that I didn't install is "Intel's Rapid Storage Technology" driver. It provides several two-drive SATA RAID options as well as a form of incremental backup which perhaps could be described as a delayed RAID 1. To use IRST features you have to have a second SATA disk connected to the laptop's ESATA port or be using a docking station which supports ESATA. i have neither: my external disks all use USB. I suspect, however, that this featureset might be important in many business environments.

s.

0 Kudos
CitizensBankIT
6 Indium

Thanks for the follow-up. I am troubleshooting software by removing startup items and so far I have ruled out a lot, and I am currently looking at Mozilla Firefox. I have switched to Chrome and IE for now and haven't had problems just yet, but I am not holding my breath. Once I rule out all the running programs I will look at repairing the OS. Do you use Firefox primarily?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

CBIT,

I'm sure it's not Firefox. I use Firefox almost exclusively, with the Addons NoScript, WebOfTrust and BetterPrivacy. Every once in a while I encounter a Website where they're doing something nonstandard and am forced to use IE, but that's very seldom.

s.

0 Kudos